can it get any worse

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Zafira 52 plate 2.0 TDI elegence

was out and about, and suddenly car stopped wouldnt move

called AA out and the clutch has gone.. what the f I say .. I just had the a new flywheel and clutch fitted six months ago

now question is should clutch go after such a short period of time

I am really pissed off and when I take it to the garage tomorrow will have some harsh words to say but before I do, just professional opinion from here

I guess the part has a warranty on it and will be covered, because cant afford to shell out more for the car.

In short no. I dont expect you have done 150k in 6 months lol ?

Sounds like a dodgy clutch was fitted,i guess they will just have to replace it........unless they miraculously find a different fault;)

A clutch should last years/miles more that than unless you "ride" it in which case it could burn out in that time. My Aunt used to do it and went through clutches in no time.

She also wondered why her new car was so rubbish on petrol. Turns out she didn't realise there was a fifth gear :)

her old car only had 4 :banana::banana:

well it should last for years but if you rest your foot on the clutch it could go in months or weeks. They can tell by looking at the clutch when its removed.

If the clutch failed then they should replace it completely for free, so best to take it back and ask too see the parts when removed.

I fitted a clutch to a bmw 5 series and 3 months it come back and it was fooked, i said there is no way it could just fail so asked the owner if had problems with the car?? he said after a few weeks he had a few problems with gettings gears etc and decided to leave it. Well probley was a faulty clutch or bearing but no way of Knowing lol. He had to buy a complete new clutch he agreed then turned up expecting not to pay. Boss said you have to pay, car never left the garage and still there when i had to leave 2 months ago due to my illness.

So any problems at all before today?

well it should last for years but if you rest your foot on the clutch it could go in months or weeks. They can tell by looking at the clutch when its removed.

If the clutch failed then they should replace it completely for free, so best to take it back and ask too see the parts when removed.

I fitted a clutch to a bmw 5 series and 3 months it come back and it was fooked, i said there is no way it could just fail so asked the owner if had problems with the car?? he said after a few weeks he had a few problems with gettings gears etc and decided to leave it. Well probley was a faulty clutch or bearing but no way of Knowing lol. He had to buy a complete new clutch he agreed then turned up expecting not to pay. Boss said you have to pay, car never left the garage and still there when i had to leave 2 months ago due to my illness.

So any problems at all before today?

didnt noticed anthing before sunday..on sunday when out and about start to smell like burning clutch (you know the smell) and then it stopped and had to call out AA, I dont ride the clutch and the wife says she doesnt (she get very upset when I accused her of crap driving). In the past cars we have had, only clutch went on a Rover 620i and afterwards it lasted for years before some prat hit me and it was a right off. Driving habits hasnt changed so cant figure out why this one fecked up in six months.

The part has been replaced today and I had to fork out 300 quid, the local garage says they have to send it off to the manufacturer (Luk) and check for faulty clutch and if they find to be faulty, then I will get my money back. this takes about 3 weeks

Last edited:
The part has been replaced today and I had to fork out 300 quid, the local garage says they have to send it off to the manufacturer (Luk) and check for faulty clutch and if they find to be faulty, then I will get my money back. this takes about 3 weeks

They'll probably check the springiness of it. If it's springy enough then you'll struggle to claim that the clutch is faulty but I'm sure you'd notice if it wasn't springy enough as you likely get the smell after the initial fitting. You'd probably also notice it slipping.

Should have told them you would pay if it was not found to be faulty not pay up front and hope you get cash back.

Make sure you get full report back and contact name at LUK if the garage says its not faulty etc as from past experience some garages are scamming fooks..

If they say no to the report then you know they are trying it on. and take a bat to them ;)

Should have told them you would pay if it was not found to be faulty not pay up front and hope you get cash back.

Make sure you get full report back and contact name at LUK if the garage says its not faulty etc as from past experience some garages are scamming fooks..

If they say no to the report then you know they are trying it on. and take a bat to them ;)

Yeah i agree too best to get all the details you can. Did you not see the clutch?

Thats good m8 any chance you can up the somewhere so we can have a look??

hi i had a clutch go on me last year it only lasted 3months.The garage made me pay for a new clutch and i later found out it was a bearing in my gearbox that was at fault that caused my clutch to go.The garage RJPERFORMANCE got me a refund even though it was a different fault so dont be put off not all garages are scamming b---ards...:grab::grab:

Back