Can I use these capacitors in Pace 4001?

Goosh

Inactive User
Reaction score
I might have to replace some capacitors in a Pace 4001 (the ones mentioned in 'Stuck in tune Appendix B') but Maplin doesn't have all of the ones mentioned in it (Part no DT61).

I did a search for 100uF 25v and these showed up. The temperature range is much higher than the 105 Celsius recommended in the Appendix B.

Would they be ok?

Hi Goosh,

I followed your link and read this...

Radial Electrolytic Capacitors

Q) I want to replace a dead capXon 4.7uF 400V 85C capacitor. Would the PC Elect 4.7uF 450V VH21X from your range be suitable? - Timos
A) Yes the product does support that.

Q) You quote a temperature range of 400C to 850C - somehow I think not. Perhaps -40C to 85C? - Ed
A) You're correct.

Q) I don''t think the temperature range is correct (400-850 degrees C.!) - Peter
A) You're correct, it's -40 to +85degrs C.

I'm not into the electronic side so can't really say, I'll leave that to TBC, Chookey or ever knows best.

I think they would do the job, but as they are lower temp will may not last as long???

They should be OK as long as the voltage rating is equivalent or better, the temperature specification can be higher as well.

Higher voltage ratings may increase the ESR of the capacitor which may cause problems in SMPS. The ones used in cable PSUs don't seem too critical of that though.

Search around for a HIGHER temperature rating, m8. The fact that penny-pinching Pace only used 85C is the reason they've blown. You can get 120C equivalents if you look around, for a few pence more. Doesn't matter one iota if the voltage rating is higher, so long as it isn't lower than original. It's the Impedance (100uF in your case) that needs to match.

Cheers- AL

Thanks a lot guys for replying and your advice.

Can I just clarify, is it ok for me to use a 100uF 50v instead of a 100uF 25v?

I just want to make sure so I don't do any damage. Plus it would be good because Maplin sells those

Can I just clarify, is it ok for me to use a 100uF 50v instead of a 100uF 25v?

Yes, you can use those.

Make sure the temperature rating is the same or higher as well.

Back