[camd] CA_SEND_MSG: Remote I/O error - SEC Chip Replacement

Devilfish

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got this error from a bootlog...

[camd] CA_SEND_MSG: Remote I/O error

Previous posts say that it's the SEC chip that's faulty. Does anyone know of any suppliers...I've searched UK and German ebay but found nothing. I know you can get one here but I'm pretty sure you can get them cheaper than this!

I've also checked Farnell and RS Components but they don't have it either.

There's a good video of how to remove a similar chip if anyone is thinking about having a go at replacing an IC.

http://www.world-of-digital.com/vortex/nosmoke.html

Thanks!

Last edited:
The SEC chip was never sold on the free market.
You can get a replacement only unsoldered from a dbox2 or a thin blue cam for the dbox1.
Thats a blue cam.

I can't believe someone would even ATTEMPT to have a go at soldering something that small :p Then again I'm stuck with a huge 1980's soldering iron so cant really comment ;)

It would be easier than many of the modern console mods, as long as you were careful it wouldn't be too nasty.

@Devilfish,
Have you tried to reflow the SECC chip?, the reason I ask is that i have 2 that are the same, and they are brand new nokia's.

Keep in touch with how you get on with this mate, I am interested to see the outcome. With the right equipment any device on the Dbox can be changed :p, a hot air gun for removal and a decent iron will put it back on :p

PS a while back I had a sagem that only found 50 transponders and found just 30 or so channels, the fix for this was to replace the circuit in the metal can on the tuner, i believe it was the PLL circuit but i cant be 100 pct. :banana:

Phezo

It does work pain in the a**se tho trying to line it back up took me an hour and a half lining it up but done the same way as an atmel hot air gun and flux really fiddly little sods lol but defo worth it box now works finds transponders and channels

Thanks for the support guys...I'm trying to source a hot air gun (too tight to buy one myself lol) but if/when I give it a go, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers!

Ok guys...I managed to get a shot of a good soldering station in my work! It had a desoldering heat gun with all the attachments (just what I was looking for). I swapped the 'suspected faulty' SEC chip with a chip from a box that doesn't have this error in the bootlog, but doesn't power up (so I assumed the SEC chip was ok). Everything went ok...desoldering, soldering, cleanup, etc....

But alas, still doesn't work! B@STARD! Still gives the same Remote I/O Error in the bootlog. It's funny, it only gives this error when Evocamd is selected. If I select Mgcamd or Newcamd, it doesn't come up. It says that the camd has successfully started...but still no picture and waiting for time.

Ahh well, it looks like it's one for the bottom of the cupboard! As well as the one I took the 'good' SEC chip from! I could always flog the tuners I guess!

Every day's a school day! :)

Back