Cable signal strength ??

toolzkit

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all

Im using a Motorola SB5100i with SIGMA-X2: Version 1.0 (build 128) & Ambit 250 Infinite non-stealth what should my signal levels be and if wrong what can be done to fix them.

My SB5100i Signal Levels

Downstream Value
Frequency 402750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
Power Level 0 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Frequency 25800000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 26 dBmV

My Ambit 250 Signal Levels

Downstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QAM256
Channel ID 1 Symbol rate 5360537
Downstream Frequency 402750000 Hz Downstream Power 22.8 dBmV
SNR 41.0 dB

Upstream Channel
Lock Status Locked Modulation QPSK
Channel ID 1 Symbol rate 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency 18800000 Hz Upstream Power 24.0 dBmV

Why does one modem read Downstream Power Level 0 dBmV other modem Downstream Power 22.8 dBmV
any ideas?

Last edited:
i think ur signals levels are fine unless you wanna bring em down a little u could fit an atenuator onto the modem this will reduce your signal strength but if your experienceing probs now then thats prob coz they too high hope this helps

the power level on your 250 looks way too high. The 0 on the 5100 is ideal, u need to bring that 250 down or it may cause issues.

Hi all

Im using a Motorola SB5100i with SIGMA-X2: Version 1.0 (build 128) & Ambit 250 Infinite non-stealth what should my signal levels be and if wrong what can be done to fix them.

My SB5100i Signal Levels

Downstream Value
Power Level 0 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 26 dBmV

Downstream Channel
SNR 41.0 dB

Upstream Channel

Why does one modem read Downstream Power Level 0 dBmV other modem Downstream Power 22.8 dBmV
any ideas?

Thats A Good Signal Level M8 A little down would be better i cant even get more than 28db on mine :( tried everything.

Hi all

My SB5100i Signal Levels

Downstream Value
Power Level 0 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 3
Power Level 26 dBmV
ur snr is perfect but the upstream Power Level 26 dBmV is quite low, consider 8 dBmv means no signal... in order for ur modem function correct the up stream needs to be in the mid 40's to mid 50's anything under or could cause ur modem not to function correctly which could result in frequent reboots

Downstream Channel
SNR 41.0 dB

Upstream Channel

any ideas?
once again with the extreme levels ur getting, ur snr reading is excellent!!! but really with a Downstream Power 22.8 dBmV ur modem shouldnt be locking as this is really bad signal level... -19 and +19 could be class as no signal, but ur snr is quite high so they seems to be very little noise or interference on ur line!!! so i would check f connector and the splitter for any fault or defects

the power level on your 250 looks way too high. The 0 on the 5100 is ideal, u need to bring that 250 down or it may cause issues.

How would I bring down the power level? is there anything I can fit to the line....

ur snr is perfect but the upstream Power Level 26 dBmV is quite low, consider 8 dBmv means no signal... in order for ur modem function correct the up stream needs to be in the mid 40's to mid 50's anything under or could cause ur modem not to function correctly which could result in frequent reboots

Only get a few problems with the ambit 250 dropping the signal... all brand new splitters & f-connectors

once again with the extreme levels ur getting, ur snr reading is excellent!!! but really with a Downstream Power 22.8 dBmV ur modem shouldnt be locking as this is really bad signal level... -19 and +19 could be class as no signal, but ur snr is quite high so they seems to be very little noise or interference on ur line!!! so i would check f connector and the splitter for any fault or defects

Again is there anything which I can fit to sort this out...

You can get attenuators to stick in front of the 250 to bring it down, you can even put a few of them together to add the values.
Try swapping the modems to each others connection, to make sure they are reading correctly. Switch your splitters about if possible to see if it makes any difference. May be a false reading if your not having many issues.

Only get a few problems with the ambit 250 dropping the signal... all brand new splitters & f-connectors.
it may be brand new but r they right cable coax and splitter??? where did u get the coax and splitter from? and did u make up the cable yourself ie: fit the f-connectors yourself... to find out if its the splitter or the new coax cable, try connecting the modem directly onto the main feed (like the feed coming from the wall and see what the signal level is like)

random_paddy said:
You can get attenuators to stick in front of the 250 to bring it down, you can even put a few of them together to add the values.

Thanks for your help, what size attenuators should I fit? as I dont have a clue....

gentlex said:
it may be brand new but r they right cable coax and splitter???

I asked for a cable splitter for cable internet and he just gave me one, and the cable was made in the shop and sold at 4 meter lenghts with screw on f-connectors......

gentlex said:
to find out if its the splitter or the new coax cable, try connecting the modem directly onto the main feed (like the feed coming from the wall and see what the signal level is like)

could you tell me what make of splitter would be the best for the job.....

cheers

I asked for a cable splitter for cable internet and he just gave me one, and the cable was made in the shop and sold at 4 meter lenghts with screw on f-connectors......

well just the mention of screw on f-connectors!!! i know it probably no good coax... get some off ur local vm teckie ther quite will to sell

[could you tell me what make of splitter would be the best for the job.....
i dont have 1 to hand so i cant tell the name atm

Back