bulling or boning

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
this is aimed @AJT mainly but others can contribute

what is the correct or proper way of bulling or boning shoes and boots
years ago i had to bull my boots when i was in atc (air training corps ) first by using
hot teaspoon over the toes and heels,then doing small circles of polish on cloth and spit
ive also used a rib bone and spit and polish,is this still the best way to give a (more or less ) a mirror
shine,im going to a posh wedding soon,and i got a pair of all leather brogues shoes and i want them
to stand out like fo0ok,i was looking at some parade boot/shoe polish,would this be the easier way
out,or do i stick with the old spit and polish and elbow grease way

Last edited by a moderator:
How I always did mine was to Get some black kiwi shoe polish put plenty on the area you want to bull with your finger put on a real good layer..then with a flame go quickly over the shoe polish to sort of smooth it but don't burn or heat to much that it melts the polish..allow polish to cool/set for 10-15 mins before you do anything else
Then with a yellow duster and some cold water in the polish lid wrap duster around one finger and dip into the water..just a quick dip don't soak it then very gently start bulling in very small circles..when you feel duster starting to stick a bit dip into water again and keep going..you can add more polish and flame it over again to build it up...and you just keep going..I would always dip finger into polish then into water then bull...
Once you have reached the mirror finish gently go over with clean duster with finger dipped with pure 100% bees wax..if you can not find pure bees wax then use nothing.
The mirror shine will last for years if you just gently top up bull again with clean duster dip in water then in polish then bull up again this takes only minutes once they have been bulled.

Easy way to do it is to get the paint on stuff but it goes white or at least it always used to if it was raining that's how the lads got caught out..but it does look good..

Last edited:
Putting a flame to them!!! :Yikes: Tin of kiwi and the old wax on wax off brushes for me. You could see your face in my old Doc Martins afterwards. :)

Back