Bulger killer Venables jailed over child abuse images

Kruger

Inactive User
Reaction score
First time he will be treated like a real criminal, just a pitty its only for 2 years!

BBC News - Bulger killer Venables jailed over child abuse images

One of the killers of James Bulger has been jailed for two years after admitting downloading and distributing indecent images of children.

Jon Venables, now 27, was 10 when he and friend Robert Thompson murdered the toddler in Bootle, Merseyside, in 1993.

Venables was living in Cheshire when the images were found on his computer by a probation officer he had invited to his home, it has emerged.

James's mother Denise Fergus said "justice had not been done".

Her spokesman, Chris Johnson, said the two-year sentence "was simply not enough to meet the gravity of what this person did".

'Inadequate supervision'

Mr Justice Bean, sitting at the Old Bailey, said Venables had "colluded in the harm of children".

However, the judge said it would be "wrong" for Venables' sentence to be increased because of his previous crime.

But he stressed Venables would not be automatically freed after serving half of his jail term like any other prisoner and it would be for the Parole Board to determine when or if he would be released.

The judge partially lifted reporting restrictions to reveal Venables had been living in Cheshire at the time of the offences and that the case was dealt with by Cheshire police and Cheshire probation service.

Robin Makin, the solicitor for James's father Ralph Bulger, said giving somebody a false identity, as happened to Venables after he was released in 2001, was a "liberal experiment" that was never really going to work.

Speaking outside the Old Bailey, he said: "What appears to have... come out today is that there must have been totally inadequate supervision and support from the probation service."

He also said Mr Bulger was unhappy the judge had not taken into account James's murder when sentencing.

Venables was banned from using a computer or the internet for five years and will be placed on the sex offenders register for 10 years upon any eventual release.

He pleaded guilty to three offences under the 1978 Protection of Children Act. The first involved downloading 57 indecent pictures of children between February 2009 and February 2010.

The second involved distributing three indecent photographs of children in February 2010, while a third involved distributing 42 images in February 2008.

It has also been revealed that Cheshire police had produced a "threat assessment" to try to establish what could happen to Venables were his assumed identity revealed.

That assessment concluded that Venables would face the highest possible risk of being attacked if his new name was either published in the media or known elsewhere in society.

The threat assessment document said "someone could find Venables with the intention of killing him".

Venables and Thompson were released in 2001 with new identities and it was the fear that his had been discovered that led Venables to contact his probation officer.

When the officer arrived, Venables was trying to delete files from his computer and remove the hard drive, prosecutors said.

Chris Johnson, spokesman for Denise Fergus: "Justice has not been done"

He was subsequently taken to a police station with the machine where it was examined by officers, they added.

Louis Mably, prosecuting, said eight of the images were at level four, the second most serious category of images of child sex abuse. Two were level three, three were level two, and 44 were level one, the least serious, he added. The images involved children as young as two and some showed the rape of young girls.

Edward Fitzgerald QC, representing Venables, said his murder conviction had cast a long shadow over his life, and he had been living a "wholly abnormal" existence, punctuated by "vilification, demonisation, and threats to his life".

He said his client had held down a job ever since his release, but it had been difficult for him to form relationships with women because it was a condition of his licence that he had to tell anyone he was in a close relationship with his true identity.

Drug addiction

Venables was arrested for affray in September 2008 but the charge was dropped. He claimed he had acted in self-defence, but was given a formal warning that his actions had breached the terms of his release.

Mr Fitzgerald said Venables had also become addicted to drugs, including cocaine, and was cautioned for possession in December 2008.

James's mother said after the hearing that she was "surprised and concerned" that Venables had not been recalled to prison following those incidents and called for Justice Secretary Ken Clarke to investigate the actions of the probation service.

The Ministry of Justice said a review would be carried out, but "the direct responsibility for these offences must lie with Jon Venables".

James Bulger was killed a month before his third birthday

Mr Mably said Venables' computer "indicated the defendant had an extensive history of searching for and downloading indecent images of children using the internet".

In a statement made to police in March, Venables said he considered it "breaking the last taboo", but insisted he had "no intention" of having sex with a young girl.

The court also heard that in online communications Venables claimed to be a 35-year-old married woman called Dawn Smith who abused her eight-year-old daughter, and offered to sell access to the child.

In a statement read to the court, Venables said he was "genuinely ashamed" of the offences.

Venables and Thompson abducted two-year-old James while he was shopping with his mother at the New Strand Shopping Centre in Bootle on 12 February 1993.

The toddler was beaten with bricks and iron bars and his body left on a railway line.

His killers were detained at Her Majesty's pleasure, the usual substitute for life imprisonment for juvenile offenders.

In 2001, when they turned 18, both were freed, despite public outcry.

At the scene

Dominic Casciani
BBC News home affairs correspondent

Court 14 was packed for this extraordinary moment of justice as Jon Venables spoke clearly and strongly to declare he was guilty of the three offences.

But this was no ordinary plea thanks to the unprecedented steps taken to protect Venables' identity.

The screen in front of presiding judge Mr Justice Bean was set at such an angle that he alone could see the convicted murderer's face - and any flicker of emotion that may have been apparent.

All that those in court, including James Bulger's mother Denise Fergus, could hear was a disembodied voice.

She sat impassively, but her partner shook his head as he heard the details of the offences.

Lawyers for the media asked if the rest of the court could see the screen. They argued it was "a very serious departure" from the principle of open justice and the first time such steps had ever been taken for an adult criminal defendant.

But the judge refused their request, saying the risk of Venables being identified and later attacked justified the decision.

Last edited:
Rotten bassa should have just been put down the 1st time, cos he was a juvenile he got off light, it seems like he hasn't changed and is still an evil cnut.

Rotten bassa should have just been put down the 1st time, cos he was a juvenile he got off light, it seems like he hasn't changed and is still an evil cnut.

unfortunately justice will not be served to him , at least not by the justice system anyways, it makes you think and people like the krays for instance are locked up and the key thrown away and then evil bast`s like these are just given free reign!

dont get me wrong i know the krays wherent jesus christ, its just sometimes youve got to compare the crimes they where charged with and the punnishment they got, to the crimes of others and the lack of punishment they get.

unfortunately justice will not be served to him , at least not by the justice system anyways, it makes you think and people like the krays for instance are locked up and the key thrown away and then evil bast`s like these are just given free reign!

dont get me wrong i know the krays wherent jesus christ, its just sometimes youve got to compare the crimes they where charged with and the punnishment they got, to the crimes of others and the lack of punishment they get.
could'nt have sed it better my self ..at least the krays never done wot them sicko's dont to a child ..they say they were only kids at the time ...my lad is 10 now and he'd never do anythink or even think of doing it ..... parents m8 thats all i can say let the kids do as they like they should have been charged as well

could'nt have sed it better my self ..at least the krays never done wot them sicko's dont to a child ..they say they were only kids at the time ...my lad is 10 now and he'd never do anythink or even think of doing it ..... parents m8 thats all i can say let the kids do as they like they should have been charged as well

yep, its basically kids HAVING kids nowaways, thats why council estates are no go`s and teens are the way they are, dont get me wrong, we where no saints when we where younger, but fook me, if some bloke came at you, you run and if he caught you, you`d fully expect a slap, nowadays they stand there and would probably stab you, and if you give them a slap the cuffs are on you, i`m not saying corporal punishment was right, but jesus it worked as a deterrent for most and it never did me any harm.

respect your elders is what i was always taught, and if you cant respect them, fear them ;)

I want to know why no dozy Everton lads spotted him, while on his jaunts to Goodison. Such an ideal opportunity, and totally missed. You do your "firm" a proper disservice boys.

He'll get a good kicking no doubt, but it ain't what I call justice. : grim :

i live only 1 mile from were this happend,
the 2 ****** should be stoned to death,
i dont care if they were only 10 even younger still would stone them,
its just sick...and they are just sick, they knew what they were doing,
in this great country we should not allow this to happen,
if they were my kids i would kill them myself,
why o why dont we have a court of justice...not a court of law,
im sick to death of people getting away with stuff like this,
it happens all the time,
bring back the death penalty or life meaning life in prison till the day they die,
but this cost money and i would not even piss on them,
so death is the best answear..
victims are the ones who are always worse off in the end.
the law needs to change ffs,
you rape/kill some one and ya do a few yrs behind bars...
then ya steal something or fraud and can spend many more yrs behind bars??
this just dont make any sense wat so ever...does it?
cannot the so called people in charge see this?
are they blind or dont care about us normal folk.

i could go on and on but its getting me more mad.

my father was killed plus and 6yr old girl...
they caught the people who did this and guess what??
they got....12 months drivin ban and £2000 fine ffs
ps on my birthday also:(.

THERE IS NO JUSTICE!!!

Last edited:
This is just what the British Justice System is about antiquated laws for 21st Century Crimes. Both Venables and Thompson should never have been released from there first sentencing weather they were only 10 or not.
They were old enough at that time to commit the crime so they are old enough to do the time necessary to fit, the only one i can think of legally is life in prison with no appeal or release.
That would prevent the sick Barsteward from doing what he has now done and who knows if Thompson is in the same club.

There is no remprse for the parents of poor James who again have hed to sustain the pain of another court appearance to try and safeguard the memory of there departed son.

RIP James

Should just throw away the key now. He is an adult now and commited the latest offences as an adult and there is no reason why he deserves protection, he has had a second chance and blew it. Should just be left to rot.

thebigman

Just goes to prove there's no reform once people choose to go down that road. Once an evil sicko, always an evil sicko. Yorkshire ripper is another one....people like these should either be put down or be forced to live out the rest of their days in a prison cell.

Dead man walking...

He's going to be serving his sentence around adults now,not children,as he did after the Bulger case and I'd put my money on someone rumbling him.

Any inmate that goes into prison now will be suspected of potentially being Venables and I can't see them taking long to work it out.

He's probably the #1 target...

Back