Brother wants a new computer... what about this one

Specification is pretty much standard, nothing special. Case is pretty much the only thing setting it apart from usual run of the mill PC if you like that sort of thing.

What is his intended use?

I ask because the GT340 is not aimed at gamers. The whole 300 range are only available to OEMs and are just rebadged 200 GPUs but with better power management.

For the £400 price tag it's difficult to beat with a self build (for it's original selling price, you could get an i5 2500K, H67 mobo, 4GB DDR3-1600 and a GTX 460). However make no mistake: it's clearance stock, as the LGA1156 socket and CPUs have been discontinued.

Bit of everything really. Not a massive gamer, more of a family computer, internet, photo editing, light games, movies, bit of work stuff. He's got about £400. Would you suggest self build then? Something more future proof?

Thanks for the reply LittlePob :)

That suggestion inc delivery and O/S is closer to £500 rather then £400
Tweaked it a bit:

Scan.co.uk: Intel Pentium G6950 Dual Core 2.80GHz 3Mb Cache Socket LGA1156 Retail - BX80616G6950¹
Scan.co.uk: Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H Intel H55 Express 1156 Motherboard
Total: £150.28 delivered

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Blu Memory.. | Ebuyer.com²
Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB.. | Ebuyer.com³
MSI GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E.. | Ebuyer.com
LG GH22NS70 22x DVD±RW with DL & RAM IDE.. | Ebuyer.com
Coolermaster Centurion 5 II Case with Coolermaster GX.. | Ebuyer.com
Total: £277.27 delivered

Sub-total for components: £427.55

Assuming you want to purchase an OS, Windows 7 Ultimate can be had from as little as £28: https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/262675/#post1940672

Grand total: £455.44 inc VAT and delivery

¹This is a retail CPU, as such it comes with the stock cooler. Unless you wish to overclock, the stock cooler is more than adequate.
²About £12 can be saved by dropping to DDR3-1333.
³You can shave £10 off the price by dropping to a 500GB hard disk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help guys. I'll see what he says. Maybe a cheaper graphics card, then if he wanted to update it he could later.
Would this one be much better than the one I first posted?

Cheers

Thanks for your help guys. I'll see what he says. Maybe a cheaper graphics card, then if he wanted to update it he could later.
Good point. By getting the ATI HD 6670, he can save £30 but should still be able to play the likes of COD4:MW on medium settings.
Would this one be much better than the one I first posted?

Cheers
The G6950 is the overclocking CPU from the LGA1156 range. It came late in the cycle, and as such it is reported that 4GHz is easy to achieve.

I would be remiss in not saying that AMD's new CPUs are expected around June 20th and, although they won't be aimed at heavy gaming, benchmarks for the i3 LGA1155 CPUs are forthcoming.

Well thought I'd update... all done.

Went for the cpu mb combo pob advised. Got the one off ebay. Went for a 6670 graphics card in the end. All in all came in at £350 without operating system, and £350 with operating system and office 10 ;)

Stress tested overclock for 24 hours at 4.2ghz with prime. Max temp 67C.

Thanks pob and oneman for your input. Problem now is I want a faster one myself!!

Back