Britain braced for gale force winds

reggie124

Inactive User
Reaction score
Fierce storms are expected to batter Britain with winds of up to 85mph and heavy rain expected.

The latest round of unsettled weather will add more misery to the January blues as people return to work after the Christmas and New Year holidays.

The Met Office has issued severe weather warnings across nearly every region of the UK and said that powerful gusts of wind could cause travel disruption during the morning rush hour.

Forecasters have told those living in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to be prepared, while localised flooding and a marked drop in temperature is expected for parts of Wales and north west England.

Scotland is braced for the harshest weather conditions: the Met Office has issued warnings for both snow and wind. But it is unlikely that any area will escape higher winds than normal.

Gemma Plumb, forecaster for MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "Anywhere in the UK could see gusts of up to 60mph. There is a deep Atlantic low moving across Scotland and the strongest winds will be across central and south Scotland with gusts of 75-85mph.

"There will be some snow, mainly on higher ground. There will be gusts of up to 75 and 80mph in the Pennines in northern England, and in Wales and the south of England there will be gusts of 60 or possibly 70mph."

Weather experts predicted a marked drop in temperature on Monday, with the unusually mild conditions that prevailed over Christmas and the New Year making way for more seasonal mercury readings.

Temperatures were expected to reach around 8C in London and could fall to as low as 4C overnight, compared with a high of 14C recorded on Sunday.

Issuing a yellow warning for strong winds and heavy rain, the Met Office said: "A spell of wet and very windy weather will affect the UK during Tuesday."

Britain braced for gale force winds - UK News - MSN News UK

Heard about this on the news eaelier. Have heard that it is going to be really bad. But as they say welcome to the uk.

Fireblade.

I guarantee my friggin garden fence is guner b down by the mornin the wind is terrible here...cant get to sleep :(

Sent from my GT-I9100

Bloody ridiculous here today, was worse earlier but wind is horrific and I'm not just talking about my weekend on baked beans!

Wind down here in London/Essex is pretty bad :eek: keeping the kids in on their last day off, cos its too dangerous I feel for them too go out... Seen tree branches blow down the road, bins, lumps of wood ... ! no way are they playing out.
Not noticed any roof tiles yet, most of the roofs around here are all newly replaced so I wouldnt think they'd come off too easy.

3 fence panels out and two posts snapped,,,gonna replace them with concrete posts when my m8 turns up with his van then in the summer replace all the posts

The Howling II (Bawbag Strikes Back)

The Christmas Tree in George Square in Glasgow was blown down by the storm-force gusts. The square was closed to members of the public.
_57664099_georgesqtree.jpg

Scotland storm: Gales batter the country

on one side the neighbours fence is down with a panel of his greenhouse broken. the otherside you have 3 of the neighbours fences down with felt off one of the roofs. not really good at diy but my fence which me and my dad built about 3 years ago remains standing:Hit:, his words still ringing in my ears(remember and dig they posts 2 feet,). The felt i put on myself about 3 months ago never budged. just thought i'd share this with the less fortunate who have to go out in mental weather to do repairs to fencing.lol REMEMBER 2 FEET DEEP. :grayno:

Some folk are calling it Hurricane Bampot. ( Bawbag's wee brother) :Laugh:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
on one side the neighbours fence is down with a panel of his greenhouse broken. the otherside you have 3 of the neighbours fences down with felt off one of the roofs. not really good at diy but my fence which me and my dad built about 3 years ago remains standing:Hit:, his words still ringing in my ears(remember and dig they posts 2 feet,). The felt i put on myself about 3 months ago never budged. just thought i'd share this with the less fortunate who have to go out in mental weather to do repairs to fencing.lol REMEMBER 2 FEET DEEP. :grayno:

my posts where in two feet,the coonts snapped lol

Back