bricked my wii today

where on the card is the backup stored? im not sure if ive even done one to be honest

where do i go to do a backup? mines bootmii to boot2

got a few files in a bootmii folder called ppcboot.elf armboot

it should goto the root of the sd it should be 528mb i think m8, to back up the nand you need to get to bootmii when you boot the wii does bootmii show? if it does you can use a game cube controller or the power + reset buttons on the wii to move through and select the option 1st you want to goto the 4 icon (configuration) then its the 1st or 2nd icon to make the back up its a picture of a chip with a green or red arrow on it i cant remember off hand which is which but that will make the nand dump mate if bootmii dosent show on boot up mate you will need to edit or change the bootmii.ini to get it on.

i think it must just have been a bad wad file. all i remember was being on 3.2E, then i installed homebrew channel again.....again, don't ask me why LOL, then on option it asked me if i wanted to install DVDX and bootmii, so i did, then at same time i thought sod it, lets make a backup of my nand. so i did.

then i ran trucha bug restorer, loaded the ios36, downgraded the ios15, loaded the ios15, selected ios36, patched all 3 options, then loaded ios36 and restored ios15.

next i ran cios38 r14, and installed that, and this next bit is where i think it got me, i updated to 4.1E using the firmware updater in HBC, let it do it's stuff which took about 10 mins.

once this was done load wad manager and installed ios60patched.wad

never installed preloader as i already had it installed (but maybe i should have done to be on safe side)

reinstalled the wads ios38, ios53, and ios55.
restart wii, black screen with 4.1(EUR) in bottom right corner

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

i was told by person i brought me savemii dongle will save a semi bricked wii which still shows the version in the bottom righthand corner. i save 2 m8's so far so worth a try before binning it or spares.
just a thought ...

Hi wondered if anyone can help me i have a bricked wii turn the power on and you get nothing but a blank screen and the wii motes cant connect am i knackered or is there some work that can be done unfortunatley i bought this from bowlers pre chipped so i do not know what chipset is used in it i have soft modded it and have hb channel installed so i can install the wads but my mate borrowed it and after telling him not to run any updates he did now its bricked any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi wondered if anyone can help me i have a bricked wii turn the power on and you get nothing but a blank screen and the wii motes cant connect am i knackered or is there some work that can be done unfortunatley i bought this from bowlers pre chipped so i do not know what chipset is used in it i have soft modded it and have hb channel installed so i can install the wads but my mate borrowed it and after telling him not to run any updates he did now its bricked any help would be greatly appreciated

if i were you, i'd start your own thread so it's easier to keep track of.

Did u have bootmii or preloader when you soft modded it? most guides suggest you do this.

thanks for your reply didnt want to start a new thread as with it being my first post didnt want to create multiple threads for the same thing,
no i didnt have any preloader or bootmii software basically just wanted to find out how screwed i am suppose i'll be taking it back to bowlers to get them to rip it apart and fix it whilst laughing at me

Hey Highlander, is it worth keeping preloader then? I got the twilight hack on mine and works a treat except for some games. I got hold of BannerBomb and tried the files on there. Now you just get a black screen if it cant load the game.

I thought I would try preloader, having not much clue about the benefits lol. In fact I havent got any benefit though I guess useful if bricked?

I thought about uninstalling preloader but it seems to be a pain to do. Only way (since NandClean didnt work) is to reinstall System Menu and installing wrong one would brick your wii.

preloader will block disc updates mate thats enough reason really to install it and it can help with semi bricks i have bootmii and preloader on the same wii.

cheers for that. I will have to tell my mates, the one's who's wii I have modded for them.

as title says, i was playing about with my wii today, and just out of chance, i made a back-up of my nand.

then i added one file, deleted another, added a wad, removed a channel, and probably more in between, updated to 4.1E, then when i rebooted, i got a black screen, with 4.1(EUR) in bottom right corner.

good job i made a back-up of my nand, i rebooted, reinstalled my nand, and all working again.

so i will make this point to all members, make a back-up of our nand whilst you can, as you never know when you may need it.

Can someone back up my "NAND" for me so that I am not worried about damaging my Wii?

I am in Manchester and can bring my Wii anywhere in the area if there is someone who can sort this out.

Come on guys, help out!

have you tried to install bootmii mate thats all you need.

Where do I get "bootmii"?

I got someone to chip my PS2 ages ago on a computer show, I dont think they are still doing it there,was a car boot sale last time I looked. I was reading some threads where some guys off here had chipped consoles for some newbies like me. Is that not the case any more?

All the info you need for Bootmii is in here. I have only just read it im about to install it myself.

To mod the wii read the posts in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the info you need for Bootmii is in here. I have only just read it im about to install it myself.

To mod the wii read the posts in here.

I am not very good at working out things like copying to memory cards and stuff. Is there someone I can pay to just sort it out? I am in Manchester and can bring it over, if there is someone around Manchester????? I can travel if there is someone around Lancashire????

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be an idea to introduce yourself first here

In terms of backing up your NAND it is a very straightforward process. All the information can be found on the forum.

You haven't mentioned whether your Wii is modified already? I assume from your post that you just want to backup the NAND and nothing else?

I think if you go to somewhere like Bowlers someone may be able to fit a modchip for you, but they will charge you. The easiest way to modify your Wii is using a softmod method. Very straightfoward and you can do this yourself

Last edited:
I am not very good at working out things like copying to memory cards and stuff. Is there someone I can pay to just sort it out? I am in Manchester and can bring it over, if there is someone around Manchester????? I can travel if there is someone around Lancashire????

I was and am not very good with things like that myself m8...but I had a go and did it. I have It up and running just by reading what is posted here... there is loads of good info here and load of peeps willing to help...there is no need to pay when it is straight forward to do...have you installed the homebrew channel yet?

all the info is there, if your able to turn your pc on and find this site then you really will be capable of copying files to a memory card and following a tutorial. At first it seems hard but people are here to help as well you save some pennies too

Back