BMW OBD Fix - Watchdog Key Cloning

gsmtech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who owns a BMW from 2007 - 2010 been contacted by their dealership yet regarding the fix for the key cloning issue featured in watchdog ? 2 issues actually..

1. Thieves are able to gain access to the vehicle by either breaking a part of the window and reaching in to the OBD port to conenct a key programming device without triggering the alarm due to a sensor blindspot. Or by exploiting a convenience opening feature whereby if you insert your key in the driver side lock turn and hold it to the open position the window will wind down and the alarm sensor beam will narrow .. a thief can break the lock with a screwdriver and use this method to access the OBD port.

2. Additional keys are able to be paired to the car without any of the original keys being present using a device connected to the OBD port.

I have contacted my dealer and have got my'n booked in for Monday. Apparently all they are doing is disabling the covenience opening feature so the windows wont wind down by using the key or breaking the lock... But if you read the BMW forums apparently they claim that if your car has had the latest software updates which enables SOPT then additional keys cannot be coded without the original key being present.
Details are very sketchy at the moment as to what exactly BMW are doing...they have not publically admitted a vulnerability with the key coding mechanism..so they are labelling the fix a "security enhancement" , maybe they are applying the SOPT update at the same time without publically admitting the fault to prevent legal action...

Anyhow if you own a BMW 2007-2010 contact your dealer and get yourself booked in, the update is free. BUT they will only do this if you request it. it's not a recall

Back