Bit of a request - Very small soldering job

DJJama

Inactive User
Reaction score
Basically.

I'm just wondering if anyone here can do solder on a very small scale.
I can solder smd components with my iron and such.

But i have bout a second hand eee 701 to make into a car pc. I need to extend the video cable (LVDS) from the mobo to the screen, I thought i may be able to do, looked at it and thought .... actually NO.

So .... Is there anyone on here who could possibly do this if i sent them the lcd board and some cable and maybe a drink :) ??

James.

I will get one up.
And thats not a worry as i bought a spare inverter board for £8 so if i mess it up ill find another way.
Basically I'm after the connector being de-soldered from the board and 50cm of cable put in the middle.
This is a thread that has images of essentially what i want done, ill get pics of the board up later.

EeeUser Forum / 701 vga cable

James.

100_2661.jpg

100_2660.jpg

100_2659.jpg

100_2658.jpg

Theres a few.

I would like the white connector mounted on the pcb removed and some cable put between that and the board, making an extension.

Not bad pics actually from a cheap Point and shoot camera.

James.

What cable actually fits that white connector ?

Would you not be able to get the plug/ cable for that and cut the wires and attach it to your wires ?

The black plug you can see in the you can see in the second picture.

People have looked before and cant find that plug. It is also even harder to cut and splice in the middle as the cables are tiny, the pads on the board are bigger.

James.

They look like Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) connectors, maybe if you look through Farnell you can find a FPC cable. Maybe not if they are double sided, I think they look it?

Soldering wires to pads is definitely possible but I'd rather try soldering to the wires after cutting the harness, carefully! It might not work after extension though, depends on reflection and cross-talk, the speed of the interface...

Attachments

• DW PSP Scale.jpg
    DW PSP Scale.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
They look like Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) connectors, maybe if you look through Farnell you can find a FPC cable. Maybe not if they are double sided, I think they look it?

Soldering wires to pads is definitely possible but I'd rather try soldering to the wires after cutting the harness, carefully! It might not work after extension though, depends on reflection and cross-talk, the speed of the interface...

Nope not available on there as they are double sided plugs. I know it can be done with regard to shielding upto a metre safely.

What do you mean by cutting the harness, splicing into the black cable.

What do you mean by cutting the harness, splicing into the black cable.

Yes.

Soldering to the pads is an option but it's not very pretty at that pitch.

Can you get the wiring harness as a replacement part anywhere?

Might be worth ordering one and seeing if the shells come off those connectors.

Back