best way to force update bios on a laptop?

Thommo

Hates everyone equally!
Reaction score
Woodlands Cemetery,Scarborough overlooking the sea
right, ive had a go with a couple of programs that have worked for me in the past but this one aint having non of it.

its a toshiba c660-1f1 laptop.

brother was getting overheating problems and thought in his wisdom that a bios update would fix this (i know i know).

anyway mid way through the update it must have overheated again as it just shut down, now its dead, it fires up for a few seconds then shuts down.

ive tried the usb boot recover using the fn+b keys with the bios on the stick, it seems to read for a few seconds then stops but doesnt shut down straight away like its trying.

ive done a few before and it usually reads for more than a few seconds and when it starts to read the usb keeps reading as it re-does the bios.

anyone have some suggestions of other usb programs to get the bios back on?

thanks.

Not a tosh but when I tried fixing corrupt bios on my hp the USB would flash like it was reading but nothing changed, I ended up claiming on my gadget cover insurance and within a day of pick up they told me to choose another one

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

UMM..... not the response i was hoping for, one reply telling me what happened to me happened to him...ummm.

seriously thought we had brighter people on here with some ideas or suggestions that might work.

done wincris and crisdisk even did the hp usb tool way with phlash....seems im going to have to google more.

think you have killed it mate as the bios chip will be surface mount then its a hard job to take of and flash
really was a little silly to try flash a over heating laptop without making sure it wouldnt over heat
it should a been on a cooling tray or had second fan cooling it while flashing if the you already had taken the
steps to make sure paste and heatsink was all clear and fans run fast .
thats the trouble with laptops people expect the tiny fans, poor vents and shit builts to save weght to be desktop replacement

I DIDNT UPDATE IT, i got it after someone else had done that hence why i wrote (i know i know) in my first post.

ive tried some new things that have rescued toshiba's that ive seen online but its still dead, so i think he has killed it totally.

silly boy its cost him a virtually new i3 laptop and he's skint so wont be able to buy another.

never mind ive tried and if i cant get it going theres no chance he will or anyone else for that matter ive tried the works on it.

if it hadnt been my brother i'd have jacked it after an hour.

need to break the bad news to him tomorrow.

Maybe Googling "A215-s7422 Crisis Recovery Disk Solution" will lead to something?

Also, there may be a recovery mode jumper on the mainboard...

Toshiba should be able to do a recovery for less than a new lappy.

Maybe Googling "A215-s7422 Crisis Recovery Disk Solution" will lead to something?

Also, there may be a recovery mode jumper on the mainboard...

Toshiba should be able to do a recovery for less than a new lappy.

thanks but that ones already been tried, had the thing apart theres no jumpers,

sending it to toshiba might be an option just depends on if they're rip off merchants, will have to phone and see.

i cant see why i couldnt try find a broken one on fleabay and swap the motherboards out, just might do that for him if i can find one cheap enough, im not paying loads for his mistake brother or not.

i could but ive put it all back together now, had enough of it, i might give it another go if i get bored but i cant even look at it at the minute im sick to death of looking at it and have spent hours on it as i dont like to be beaten.

will post a picture up later tonight when i can be bothered to disassemble it again.

surprised at how small the board was tbh, didnt look to much of it.

google search image for you if it help in the mean time.

hot-sale-laptop-motherboard-for-toshiba-C660-intell.jpg

I was wondering if the BIOS Flash was separate as it used to be on older machines. I can't see anything on that board that stands out as one though.

You're talking anywhere between £100 - £200 for a new motherboard, to be fair another £100 and he can have a brand new laptop.

i know and thats why im not bothering with it, its not mine so its no issue to me but it is to him but he'll learn from his mistakes, thing is all it needed was a re-paste and a clean, the fan outlet was fully blocked with fluff and had bakes the thermal paste that was why it was shutting down on him.

as far as laptops go to disassemble its an easy one, not like some of the asus and acer ones with 3 layers in them. if only he'd waited and brought it to me he wouldnt be up shit creak and would have a perfectly fine laptop.

i found out why he tried to update the bios though, seems he thought there might be more options in a newer bios and hoped there would be a fan option, silly boy..

so from a laptop needing a clean and paste to having a doorstep.

im still going to keep an eye out on ebay for a broken one (screen) and hope i can get it cheap, otherwise it will be probably sold for spares in bits on ebay.

Back