best tv for around 1000

i-zombie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
im to be moving soon and the other half has agreed to me getting a new tv
ive had philips lcds for the past few years and i really like the ambilight feature,

but after browsing the net and reading a few threads here it seems the panny plasma is the way to go

sony are out i had a bravia as my first lcd and it was shocklingly bad
ive red that one of the lg tvs can be hacked to allow mkv playback-this could be an advantage as i could do away with the media player

the main uses will be for gaming,hd movies,footy,sd stuff
it will have sky hd,ps3,360,wii,and hd media player connected

looking at around 47-50 inch

as i said i really do like the ambilight on the philips and currently tempted with the 9000 series lcds-but th hacked lg with mkv is tempting and ive seen that many recomendations for the panny plasma its hard to ignore them

so considering im a big fan of ambilight is the picture differance of the panny worth the change

or is there some models im missing that are better

oh and also this may be a retarded question but ill ask any ways,i used to get cable thru the dvb-c tuner on the telly i have .if i were to get a freesat hd tv could i use a combination of cam/sky card to get that straight to the telly(i know sky arent quite as strict about u using third party boxes)

cheerrs

Either the Panasonic 50G20 or the Panasonic 50S20 if your budget can't stretch that far.

Regards

Liam

I would recommend the following

PANASONIC VIERA TXP50S10
LG 50PQ6000
PANASONIC VIERA TXP50G10
Panasonic VIERA TX-P50S20
Panasonic Viera TX-P50X20B

I'm going to bowl a googly, how about £500 for a 50" TV & £500 for a nice projector? :excited:

I'm going to bowl a googly, how about £500 for a 50" TV & £500 for a nice projector? :excited:
to be honest munkey ive never seen a decent projector,a mate of mine is a fan of them,and ive been to his to watch the boxing and footy a few times but other than the size i cant say i was impressed with it, it seemed blurry,poor colours ,and way too bright,maybe they have improved since then i dunno,

but saying that it is something id consider,you have any recomendations m8,or features i wanna look for,type of screen to get ect

It's great that you're considering it. PJ's have evolved considerably in the past few years and there really isn't much difference picture wise, between a PJ costing £500 and one costing £2k. At the magic level entry point of a measly 500 sobs you'll get something very nice like the Infocus X9 and Optoma HD65, both are of which are fine beamers.

You can project onto a white wall or a cheapo £30 or ceiling mounted screen from the bay. I started out with a tripod screen and stuck with that for over a decade.

Picture wise I doubt there is much difference picture wise between a £500 and £1000 TV so you wouldn't be really missing out there. You'd lose a lot of the functionality that you mentioned in your OP and you would need to invest in separate source boxes which could become costly. If you fancy tinkering with sat you might need a separate box anyhow.

As long as you have a throw distance of appx 10-12' you can accommodate a PJ. Have a play with this tool to see what kind size of image you could expect with a Optomo HD65, with of throw of around 12' you get appx a 100" image :FRIGHT:

Back