Best option for MKV playback from PC?

herbs

Inactive User
Reaction score
Having just got V+ HD and finding out my oldish 32" LG HD Ready TV doesn't want to display the whole picture, I've decided to replace it. The main problem is that the good bit of the picture is cut off on either side, something to do with its native resolution being 1366x768 and it having no settings to make the cable feed fit properly.

Although I will be watching some cable, playing some xbox, it's primary use will be 1080p MKVs and BluRay images. The source will be an Asrock ION Atom PC with HDMI, or if that isn't quite up to the task, an I7 laptop also with HDMI. The TV will be connected to an Onkyo TS-XR608, built in speakers are not important. Playback of MKV from USB or DNLA would be a plus, but by no means a requirement.

I think my main concern is refresh rate. I am hoping to avoid the juddering effect I get with my current set. It is particularly noticeable on panning scenes. I've also seen this on a lot of newer TVs. My understanding is that this is due to the refresh rate, and that it somehow needs to match up to the frame rate for smooth playback. I hope someone knows what I'm on about because I don't really understand it. I don't want to rush out and buy something that looks great in the shop to find I'm disappointed when it comes to MKV. From what I can gather, it needs to be 60Hz, all I see in the shops is 50Hz and then a jump to 600Hz... confused!

My budget is up to about £550 and I'm looking for 37" to 42". I think I would prefer LCD but have not ruled out Plasma if it is more suitable, just concerned about screen burn if I leave the PC desktop on for too long.

I've had a brief look around online and in Dixons and have seen these two possible options so far:

LG 42LE4500 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

PANASONIC Viera TX-P42U30B 42" Full HD Plasma TV | Dixons |

Your thoughts would be appreciated, there's a lot of choice and confusing spec differences out there.

Thanks.

Have you set the cable box to display widescreen? Sounds like it's set to 4:3/Pan Scan to me.

Wilin - Thanks for the suggestion but I would never use the PVR and it seems pointless any of the money I spend going towards that.

Tawke - Yeah, it's set correctly. I've been through all the settings on the cable box and on the TV. The only way I can see the whole picture is by switching to 4:3. It's not on a zoom setting or anything. 720 and 720 wide extend beyond the edge of the screen, it's really strange and I didn't expect it. On BBC HD I lose the up to the second B of BBC, and the same on the other edge. I've even tried to adjust overscan in the hidden engineer menu on the TV but no joy. There are simply no more settings to try. I forget the model but it's about 5 years old. Looks like it isn't really HD ready. I have no problems with HDMI from the laptop, but that outputs at it's native resolution of 1366x768.

Looks like it isn't really HD ready. I have no problems with HDMI from the laptop, but that outputs at it's native resolution of 1366x768.

If it has HDMI and is capable of displaying over 720 lines ( 768 ) then it's HD ready. There will be a way of setting it all up so it works right. On the other hand, a bigger TV will always make you feel warm inside :)

/edit I seem to remember my cousin having the same problem on his full hd tv. I sorted that but can't remember how exactly. Hopefully someone here will be able to tell you ( before you do the right thing and get a bigger set ) :)

Last edited:
There isn't - been through all the options on the cable box, the TV only has settings for H and V position, where I can move it from left to right, but not make it fit on. If I could fix it I wouldn't replace it, but yeah... A nice crisp new one would be nice :)

Yep, that's the setting it doesn't have. There's an option for overscan in the engineer menu, but it only increases and has no effect anyway.

I'm thinking it's bound to be a setting on the cable box ( I remember mine did it to start ) but maybe it's an issue with the HDMI revisions. Is there a firmware update for your t.v.?

The smooth motion on the newer televisions has nothing to do with the refresh rate itself and everything to do with interpolation. The interpolating sets create between two and six fake frames between each actual frame. These fake frames are there to progress the picture better and your eyes see no frame judder because of this.

1_4_2.jpg

Sony Bravia KDL37EX503U 37-inch Widescreen Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Panasonic TX-P46S20B 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Philips 40PFL5605H/05 40-inch Widescreen Full HD LED TV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Of the above 3 you have sony (LCD) Philips (LED) and Panasonic (PLASMA)

The Sony presents better in lighter areas or daytime viewing, It is the best selling of the 3 here and can playback MKV from usb as well as DLNA rendering, 5OD and BBC iPlayer (and a handful of crap on demand things too) It requires an expensive dongle to make it wireless

The Panasonic is better for cinema, darkroom viewing and subtle detail although it can be too soft displaying vibrant patterns and sharp edges It also requires an expensive dongle to make it wireless

The Philips is definatly the smoothest for mid to slow pans and has better colour and contrast when compared to the Sony. The trade off is that there can be some artifacting around very fast moving small objects. The Philips has better detail on displaying stark patterns and textures but the Panasonic can display subtle detail in light areas that the LED washes out with its bright backlight. It is the ony one without FreeviewHD, has no on demand stuff, chokes on usb mkv regularly and is not wireless

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that. I have to say I have been leaning more towards plasma as one of the things that annoys me about the current set is the backlight spoiling the blacks. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I'm thinking blacks are always going to be best on Plasma.

46" is a little bigger than I was thinking of going as my flat isn't huge.
Would this be comparable? PANASONIC Viera TX-P42U30B 42" Full HD Plasma TV | Dixons | (haven't look for better price yet).

Do I need to worry about screen burn these days? Providing it is set up right surely it's not a problem? I'm remembering a friends Sony set with the MTV logo scorched in the corner. If I was to leave it on a windows desktop all night for example.

Yes your right, the plasma will give you more detail in darker scenes, If you can stretch the budget this deal is great

PANASONIC VIERA TXP42G20 42 INCH 600HZ PLASMA TV : PANASONIC*Plasma TV 32" - 49"

The c3 model dosent look all that great compared to the S or G range. You would be better going for the Samsung rather than the c3 IMO

The sonys retained picture like crazy. This was 8 years ago though, the newer panels have protection against it

Yes your right, the plasma will give you more detail in darker scenes, If you can stretch the budget this deal is great

PANASONIC VIERA TXP42G20 42 INCH 600HZ PLASMA TV : PANASONIC*Plasma TV 32" - 49"

The c3 model dosent look all that great compared to the S or G range. You would be better going for the Samsung rather than the c3 IMO

The sonys retained picture like crazy. This was 8 years ago though, the newer panels have protection against it

You're right, that does look a good find. After reading the reviews I can't see how it will disappoint. Going to give myself a few hours to hunt for a better price then I'll get it ordered. Thanks for all your advice.

Difficult choice now. Can't find a better price, but richer sounds will have the 46" in (new) next week. Already pushing it with 42" in a small room, but more TV for same money... Difficult.

Saw your bargain thread, 50" will definitely be too big.

Thanks a lot for your good advice. I got the TV last night and it is fantastic. Works really well with XBMC on my Asrock Atom ION 330.
MKVs look amazing, SD TV better than expected. Can’t fault it so far.

Thanks again.

Back