Best Linux Based Receiver Brand?

jmsrc92

Inactive User
Reaction score
I own a Technomate 800HD, from a friend who was selling one and learned i could watch television from CCCam and all that.

I have been trying to get the box to the way i like it but, Rytec XMLTV EPG is very unreliable and if i cant look at what is on then i don't know what i want to watch, so crossepg provides other EPG data input such as opentv but as i found out it does not work With technomate.

What i'm looking for is a good HD Box that is well supported on the Satellite Scene with images and plugins, the ability of CCCam and Cline codes, also good epg input that is reliable.

What brand is the best to go for. VU,OpenTV,Dreambox,Technomate or Spiderbox? Or a possible clone

From what i have read into the DM800HD clone looks a good buy

Not sure if this is the correct section to be posting but i do not mind if it gets moved.

Thankyou for your time

I think i only need a single tuner, not entirely sure what they are? think it is for the dish? as it is a static dish and will be using CCCam as dont really see the benefits of having a motorised dish.

the best will be dreamboxes, as this is really what everything is written for, its then edited etc for 'other' receivers. if you get a clone, you will have to ensure that you use the correct images for the clone version you have, otherwise you risk killing the box

as segel mentioned, a single tuner box means you only have one cable coming in from your dishes LNB, and you can only watch 1 channel.
a twin tuner means that the box is capable of receiving 2 seperate cables/feeds from the dishes LNB, so you can watch 1 channel whilst recording another.

If you want a box that has a twin tuner for recording then you need to see what LNB your fixed dish has, either a single, duo or quad, as a single LNB won't do it.

Also is it really worth paying out for a new box if all your unhappy with is the EPG? you can easily use the sly ipad/ipod/iphone app or online tv guide etc and keep yer money in yer pocket :)

Ive owned an se clone (sunray) great box and very user friendly.
I own a vu+duo original and cant fault it ihave also had expeirence ont he vu solo original and its a cracking little box for the money and is also very user friendly.
The open box is a good basic box for watching tv but thats all it does. (no epg or plugins).
You can get an original vu solo from a uk supplier for about £15 more than you would pay for an se clone from china. The only 2 differencies are the ability to mount a 2.5 hdd inside the se. the vu solo is external via usb and the vu solo has no oled diplsy on the front.
If you want a clone go for the se. If you want original go for the vu.

Back