Best Internet security suite / antivirus program

Bronto

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Would like to know what other mrembers are using for their internet security, what do you think is best on the market at the moment ?

I've been using Kaspersky internet security for the last couple of years but had a few small probs lately, I'm thinking of trying BitDefender Total Security 2012 this time round - Bitdefender Total Security 2012 - Antivirus Software for Windows

Whats your recomendations and why ?

:Cheers:

If you want a free 1yr antivirus and a good one at that, go for avg

i use avast free version... its brilliant , works silently in the background , easy download/install !
NO mithering at all

ive always used comodo internet security ... its free and damn good :)

Microsoft security essentials along with Malwarebytes on one machine and
Nod32 along with Malwarebytes on the other
both fully functional for free :)

Just started using Sophos. :)

Would like to know what other mrembers are using for their internet security, what do you think is best on the market at the moment ?

I've been using Kaspersky internet security for the last couple of years but had a few small probs lately, I'm thinking of trying BitDefender Total Security 2012 this time round - Bitdefender Total Security 2012 - Antivirus Software for Windows

Whats your recomendations and why ?

:Cheers:

A find MSE a good option mate and not just because its free..
Some av programs are time vampires and a hate ones that go into pop up overdrive.
MSE only alerts you when attention is really required and its the first AV ive used that doesn't slow my pc down.
It just lets you get on with it and you forget its running in the background.
Installation is easy and it doesn't give you a bunch of stupid options you don't need.
Its a clean simple interface, if you have ever used Defender then its the same kinda interface.

I have ran it with Malwarebytes for about 6 months now and i find it a solid set up.
I switched from Avast pro and noticed my pc was quicker after i disabled auto scans.

It does depend a lot on what you do with your pc , if its general browsing, email etc then MSE or most free AV's are ok.
Comodo has high ratings but any Comodo product i have used has usually ended in tears at some point.
Avira is supposed to be good at detection but a found it terrible on false positives, it also installed a toolbar onto my pc and updates were chronic.
Avast free is a good one, requires registration and is prompting more often to upgrade but still a good program.
AVG needs to go on a diet and update its engine.

I will stick with MSE for now as it does everything i need.

Hope this helps.

I have to concur with Cozzy. I've used many different programs;

AVG (picks up more than i would want it to, but solid),
Norton (Improved in the later versions)
McAfee (resource intensive)
Sophos (absolute turd and misses alot so much so I migrated away from this where i work - to McAfee, which is just as crap)
Kaspersky (good)

But as long as you also protect your system in other ways, such as Spybot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware etc then you will be fine. Most AV/Internet Security bloats your system.

I also only use the basic windows firewall, as for home use along with my routers firewall, it does what is needed. Zone Alarm, etc etc again I haven't had any reason to install.

Last edited:
for the last 8 years ive used avast, doesnt hog system resorces, the best anitivirs thats been knocking around thats scored top in the rating has been Bit Defender, but only got it working for a while so on all the machines in our house the free edition of avast with xoftspy does the bis

i haveused kaspersky internet security for years with no issues, as said you can get cheap multi licenses. i get the previous years 5 user pack and its always dirt cheap , the activation code also works on the current years antivirus aswell. also if you are with barclays you can get kis free

Thanks for all the input guys, some good sugestions, cheers

Back