Best Image and Cam for a 500??

mannachie

Inactive User
Reaction score
If you were to use your DM500 as a server (hypothetically speaking of course), what would be the best and most reliable image and cam combination to use (in your opinion) for reading a particular card that is popular for watching UK football and movies etc??

Jade 3 and OSCAM has one setup for a few months last year on a DM500C and it was rock solid.

Having a go on Pli with OSCAM 6574 and CCcam 2.1.3 as I had some success on a previous ver until OSCAM kept crashing on me and server needed restarted every hour!!! lol

Another vote for pli maxvar and cccam, stable , reliable easy to setup.
I have had no issues with cccsm 2.1.4, 2.2.1 or 2.3.0 apart from a random crash here and there but easily up and running for over 90 days at a time with no issues.
I'm currently experimenting with oscam and pli maxvar , oscam seems to be a lot more flexible in terms of options available from the web interface. I haven't had it running long enough to comment on stability or reliability.
Out of interest why do you want to run oscam and cccam together ? Especially an old version like cccam 2.1.3 ? Oscam can be run standalone with dvbapi and cccam protocol enabled to allow your clients to connect with clines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
if its going to be a server with no sat feed then pli will do but if its going to be a server that you use to watch as well its quite easy to mount then i would say have a go with commando and get use to it its the best image for a dm500 best epg and there will be some help on here to get it working as a server all the best tony

if its going to be a server with no sat feed then pli will do but if its going to be a server that you use to watch as well its quite easy to mount then i would say have a go with commando and get use to it its the best image for a dm500 best epg and there will be some help on here to get it working as a server all the best tony

I 2nd the commando, BEST image by far and I think we have had it running as a server for at least 1.5 years no issue with ccc*m 2.1.4.

I like this image so much I have to keep thinking whether to use my dm500s or vu solo, the image quality and sound quality is so poor compared to the original vu solo I have, but the image with the epg is so good I dont mind putting up with that.

go with the commando you will not regret it. it loads tyhe the epg typicaly in 70 odd seconds!!

the best thing about it is, which cannot be touched at the momment, when you press enter on the remote it brings you up the current bouquet your in with all the channels listed with whats currently on for each channel with a time elapsed indicator for each program then press blue button it brings up for each channel what is on next and when the program will be starting simlply amazing!!,

I wish they would make it for the vu solo!! PPPPPLease!!

Out of interest why do you want to run oscam and cccam together ? Especially an old version like cccam 2.1.3 ? Oscam can be run standalone with dvbapi and cccam protocol enabled to allow your clients to connect with clines.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

To be honest I was always a CCcam only user previously and haven't had time or knowledge to experiment with much else until the pli came along. Still don't like it though as the Oscam has regular glitches and needs rebooting so I think I may have to experiment and play with the commando image.

To be honest I was always a CCcam only user previously and haven't had time or knowledge to experiment with much else until the pli came along. Still don't like it though as the Oscam has regular glitches and needs rebooting so I think I may have to experiment and play with the commando image.

Pretty much the same as I what I had..a pure CCCAM setup, I now have OSCAM as the card reader with CCCAM protocol enabled, clients have stayed the same i.e: running CCCAM and keeping their c-lines just the server side has changed.
Theres no need to run OSCAM + CCCAM seperately on the server, you can run as mentioned run OSCAM by itself and configure it to allow CCCAM connections by enabling CCCAM protocol.
I havent noticed any OSCAM crashes or gitches so far, im just running OSCAM for experimental purposes at the minute...if it proves to be unstable or doesnt behave as expected I will return to CCCAM.

I now have OSCAM as the card reader with CCCAM protocol enabled QUOTE]

How do you do that then?? I agree that OSCAM is much better in terms of using the web interface but I do not knopw enough about it and how to get it to do other functions

You enable dvbapi, then you enable cccam protocol in the oscam configs. In the oscam users file you just add user accounts for each of your cccam clients and add a local user for your dvbapi account this is used to read and update the card. If you want clients to send update emms to the card you set au=1 on the user accounts that are allowed to send emms.
The way to think of it is, oscam is just a card server to read your card..you connect to it using any protocol of your choice by enabling it in the oscam config, I.e newcamd, cccam, mgcamd etc...I only have cccam enabled as I only have cccam clients.

I can send you some example oscam configs if you want to have a look, or I can post them in this thread.

You enable dvbapi, then you enable cccam protocol in the oscam configs. In the oscam users file you just add user accounts for each of your cccam clients and add a local user for your dvbapi account this is used to read and update the card. If you want clients to send update emms to the card you set au=1 on the user accounts that are allowed to send emms.
The way to think of it is, oscam is just a card server to read your card..you connect to it using any protocol of your choice by enabling it in the oscam config, I.e newcamd, cccam, mgcamd etc...I only have cccam enabled as I only have cccam clients.

I can send you some example oscam configs if you want to have a look, or I can post them in this thread.

Please do send examples and I can experiment. I do like Oscam as the reader and currently use CCcam to share but oscam keeps crashing and thus no card to share. I would like to know more about it though and not give up so quickly. Cheers

me too, please post examples as I am doing my head in trying to figure oscam? and where do I get commando image for db500s? I am using nabilostat darkstar 11 in working box and a lovely enigma 4.70 with ccam213 and oscam1.00 in experimenting db500s box. but had to switch oscam off. I cant get my head round the use of accounts. i am a newbie

ebmitie

Ok well as you probably already know Oscam has 3 config files, oscam.conf, oscam.server and oscam.user. As we are using dvbapi we also have a oscam.dvbapi this can be left blank or have a priority line, but if you only ahve 1 card and reader it doesnt particulary matter. I have removed the usernames password for webif..obviiously you set them to whatever your requirement is...norice newcamd has # in front of the config lines so it is ignored. NOTE: I have also removed the caid and ident fields.. your card id is a 4 digit numberthe ident this format 0000:000000 you only need the first 4 digits same as your card id, leave the 6 trailing zeros afrer the : ...caid is easy enough to find with a quick google. The below files need to be created as 4 seperate files. This should be enough for you to have a play and get oscam working on a Dm500.
The config files are placed into \var\tuxbox\config (for a E1 PLI Maxvar image). The oscam binary goes into /var/bin/
The setups are based on the assumption that you have no sat feed for the server and are using client emms to sent to dvbapi to update your card. NOTE: I havent had this setup long enough to confirm that my entitlenmts are updatring, I currently have entitlements valid for another 2 months,...

oscam.conf

[global]
nice = -1
WaitForCards = 1
preferlocalcards = 1
saveinithistory = 1
serverip= #enter your server IP address here.

# logging

logfile = /var/log/oscam.log
usrfile = /var/log/oscamuser.log
cwlogdir = /opt/oscam/cw

# monitor

[monitor]
port = 988
nocrypt = 127.0.0.1
aulow = 120
monlevel = 1

# web interface

[webif]
httpport = 16001
httpuser = username
httppwd = password
httprefresh = 5
httpallowed = 127.0.0.1,192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255

# protocols

[cccam]
port = 12000
reshare = 1
ignorereshare = 0
forward_origin_card = 0
version = 2.3.0
updateinterval = 240
minimizecards = 0
keepconnected = 1
stealth = 1
reshare_mode = 1

#[newcamd]
#key = 0102030405060708091011121314
#port = 10000@0000:000000;10001@0000:000000

[dvbapi]
enabled = 1
au = 1
boxtype = dreambox
user = local
request_mode = 0

------------------------------
oscam.server

[reader]
label = internal
enable = 1
protocol = internal
device = /dev/sci0
caid =
boxid =
detect = cd
cardmhz = 357
ident =
group = 1
lb_weight = 101
blockemm-unknown = 1
blockemm-g = 1

-----------------------------
oscam.user

#the 1st account is the local dvbapi account used by oscam to read the card
[account]
user = local
description = DVBAPI
disabled = 0
uniq = 1
group = 1
au = internal
caid =

#you add an account below for each of your clients, note this account has au=1 it is allowed to send emms to update card, for other clients set au=0.Use the same username and passwords as your c-lines. So of you have 10 clients you need 10 accounts setup.

[account]
user = client1
pwd = client1password
disabled = 0
uniq = 1
group = 1
au = 1
caid =
ident =
keepalive = 1

#Note this is a client account with au=0 you dont want all your clients to send update emms.
[account]
user = client2
pwd = client2password
disabled = 0
uniq = 1
group = 1
au = 0
caid =
ident =
keepalive = 1

------------------

Last edited:
Hmmm?? Isn't dvbapi only if the card is in a box that has a sat feed?

Like a stand alone box connected to a TV?

If you're using an old dm500c then I'm sure dvbapi isn't required. In fact in know it works without and one or two clients are used to update entitlements :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm?? Isn't dvbapi only if the card is in a box that has a sat feed?

Like a stand alone box connected to a TV?

If you're using an old dm500c then I'm sure dvbapi isn't required. In fact in know it works without and one or two clients are used to update entitlements :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Possibly, I dont know enough about OSCAM just recently started experimenting with it, I though if you dont have a dvbapi account the card wont update. But if you've been using it without and it still works then it's clear it's not required.

if your running a 500s as your viewing box, then dvbapi is required.

you can still run your 500s as your viewing box and server, but its not recomended due to the load on the box i believe?

im not sat at my home computer, but i think the configs that i sent to you have the dvbapi commented out and they work fine on a 500c.

just to add for any one thats not sure you can test it to see if you get updates when your done bye going to your sky go and changing the pin then have a look at your oscam webif under reader and see if you have a EMM resived

some good info in this thread - thanks guys

are there any performance benefits from using a DM500 with oscam only instead of a DM500 with oscam/ccam?

would one see quicker ECM times with only an oscam server?

Not sure if theres performance benefits in terms of ECM's ..Oscam can be used to allow multiple protocols to conenct..i.e: you can have CCCam clients, as well as MGcamd, Newcamd etc by enabling the relevant protocols in Oscam.
Also CCCAM doesnt cleat PickTV or apparently Espn SD now, Oscam is still constantly developed, CCCAM doesnt get many updated from Uvadi certainly not any recent stuff for UK content anyway since 2.1.4...

Back