barry to city

davidh

<font color="RED">Administrator</font>
VIP Member
Reaction score
Man City snap up Barry for £12m

_45856547_barry_credit.jpg
Barry had been with the Villa Park outfit since 1997

Manchester City have completed the signing of England midfielder Gareth Barry from Aston Villa for £12m. The 28-year-old was linked with a move to Liverpool last summer but ended up staying at Villa Park, helping them to a sixth-placed finish in the league.
Barry has spent his entire career at Villa, playing over 400 games for the Midlands outfit and scoring 52 goals.
He has won 29 caps for England and is in the squad for World Cup qualifiers on Saturday and next Wednesday.
City's owners, the Abu Dhabi United Group, are expected to embark on a spending spree this summer but the fact that Barry has joined Mark Hughes' side still comes as a surprise.
Barry claimed that his main reason for wanting to leave Villa in 2008 was to play Champions League football.
But City finished six places and 22 points behind this season's top four in the top flight, all of whom qualify for Europe's elite club competition.
City will not even contest the Uefa Europa League after Everton, Villa and Fulham took the three places available to English clubs.
o.gif

There's nothing more important than playing first-team football in a World Cup year

Ex-England boss Graham Taylor

"It's a surprise that Manchester City are the preferred suitors," said BBC Radio 5 Live's Pat Murphy.
"It is surely either money that is attracting Barry or the lure of putting down foundations whereby Manchester City become a serious player in the top four.
"But they will not be playing Champions League football next season, whereas Villa will at least be playing in the Europa League.
"Barry has been with Villa for over 10 years and I think when he goes he will do so with the best wishes of the Villa fans.
"But I think they will be baffled that, at the moment, he would seem to have chosen Manchester City over Liverpool or Arsenal - they would have understood if he went to a Champions League club."
Former Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor believes Barry has chosen City because they will challenge the top four next season.
"He has to believe that Manchester City will be signing the quality of player that will give them the best possibility of Champions League football the season after next," said Taylor.
o.gif
606: DEBATE

Why, why, why? Barry wants the Champions League, but he's not gonna get that. I don't see the logic

RGbarggie

"I'm not suggesting Mark Hughes is going to be absolutely crazy in the salaries the club pay people, but the amount of money has to be a factor."
Taylor believes Barry could be put off joining a Champions League club by the knowledge that might not be guaranteed a place in their starting XI.
"He'll be aware that there's nothing more important than playing first-team football in a World Cup year," added Taylor.
"At Aston Villa it's almost certain that he would be a first-team regular. I think he would be at Manchester City, but I'm not so certain that would be the case at Liverpool."
Villa owner Randy Lerner confirmed last week that the Midlands club were in discussions with Barry regarding a new long-term deal.
Barry, who has been at Villa Park since 1997, is currently preparing for England's World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra.
He has made 443 appearances for Villa since making his debut in 1997.

thank fook for that

What an arsehole he is leaving Villa for Shity is a surprise surely for footballing reasons he would stay at Villa as Martin O'Neil is building a very good team!

Man City have money but no sense and i'd have thought Villa would have been better for him!

Looks like Lafa has missed out on his target!

What an arsehole he is leaving Villa for Shity is a surprise surely for footballing reasons he would stay at Villa as Martin O'Neil is building a very good team!

Man City have money but no sense and i'd have thought Villa would have been better for him!

Looks like Lafa has missed out on his target!
didnt want him m8

I am glad he went to City....so we don't get him, he wouldn't lace Alonso's boots.

I can't blame the fella for wanting one good payday and a transfer fee. Maybe Hughes convinced him he is building a good team...money talks you know.

hmmm... maybe it was bcoz lafa said that alonso isnt for sale and which wud have meant if barry moved to lpool, he would got limited playing time... just a thought....

Another greedy fotballer leaving for the money hope city are bottom half of the table next year that would make me laugh

Another greedy fotballer leaving for the money hope city are bottom half of the table next year that would make me laugh

Wish Villa finsih above them that will show him the right direction!

I think City are going to do a Chelsea but with less success in terms of them buying loads of players! Some will be quality some not!

Well last year I valued him at 10 mill with 2 years left on his contract, this year with one year left I would value him at 6 mill so I recon Citeh have payed well over the odds.

When you think that you could probably get Joe Cole and Anderson for 12 mill Tom Huddlestone for 6 mill.
You could probably buy the whole of the Newcastle team for less than 12 mill

Why Liverpool went in for him in the first place is a mystery, dont rate him much personally but that said he has had a good season. Is he a step up from Petrov ..?? Im not so sure, definitely a good signing though from a City point of view an probly more so from a Gareth Barry point of view. I dont think he's signed for the money he probably just wants his weekdays free to watch Villa play in Europe ;)

What a clown, he stated he wants to play champions league and if he went to top4 club then that would be understandable, but to go to manchester city? and then say they're going in the direction he wants to go? seems he wants to go backwards in his career.

It's as laughable as when players like Arjen Robben and Ashley Cole joined Chelski when abramovich first took over saying a reason they joined was to win silverware.

Hope all goes shite for Gareth =)

What a Twat.. why he went to City is a mystery to all of us... Martin O'Niell is building something great at Villa and he isnt gona be apart of that now..

I know you Lpool fans dont really want him over Alonso.. well thats a no brainer really... but if i was Xabi Alonso i'd be pissed that Lafa tried to offload me and replace me with Barry last season...
wat im sayin is.. dont be surprised if Alonso wants out

I'm not so sure about this...As a Man Utd fan growing up in the midlands (naturally :Biggrin2:) I've always had time for villa and their fans.

Going back to last summer. It was understandable him wanting CL football. What decent player doesn't? And with Stevie G almost acting as an agent it almost happened for him.

This year I don't think Barry has played as well as past years although he was (in my opinion) villa's most consistent player - but I think he realised Villa aren't quite good enough. They aren't miles better than City at the mo.

He has sold out for the money from a personal perspective but I think Man City could be a force given time and sensible investment - if (and it's a BIG if) they keep with the manager they could be genuine challengers for CL spots in a couple of years...if then Barry plays his part in that fair play to him. It could be City progress at a quicker rate and start challenging next year (unlikely!), who knows - then Barry's move would have been justified.

The man probably felt City have potential and it's time for a change, it could be a good move 12 points worse than Villa this year and I personally see City getting better and Villa may be not - most of the fans knew he wasn't entirely settled at Villa so why not start afresh somewhere else and if you make more money doing it. Well that's a bonus.

Last edited:
Back