Barca v Chelsea Semi final build up

Nani121

Banned
Reaction score
Come on guys lets get the ball rolling on this argubaly Chelsea's biggest game so far this season!

So what you lot reckon will Chelsea do it or is it mission impossible?

Barcelona and Chelsea may only have a brief history of games between them in recent years, but they have been tumultuous, controversial and very important to both clubs.

Having met for the first time in the Inter City Fairs Cup in the mid-1960's it was not until the Blues rose to become one of Europe's elite that the two clubs began to meet on a more regular basis.

As well as the action on the field and the goals galore that have littered matches between the Blues and the Blaugrana, the characters that participated have also become heroes and villains.

Jose Mourinho's behaviour
after his return to Camp Nou with the London club saw him labelled as the 'enemy of football' by UEFA as he forced a highly-rated referee to resign after some flippant comments.

The Portuguese boss then criticised what he deemed 'theatre' when Lionel Messi and Asier Del Horno clashed in another tie, while Victor Valdes claimed he was fouled for a crucial goal that sparked controversy in Catalunya.

1999-2000

While Mourinho may have used the stage to great effect, the off-field histrionics were not required when the sides were paired together in the 1999-2000 Champions League quarter finals.

Both clubs had already played 12 matches to reach the last eight as the competition contained two group stages when they were paired up in a draw that saw Chelsea playing at home in the first leg.

There was little controversy, but there was to be a big surprise as the hosts were not yet at the level with which they are associated nowadays and their first half performance at Stamford Bridge raised expectations level.

Gianfranco Zola put the Blues ahead before a double from Tor Andre Flo before the break put the London side in command and there appeared to be no way back for Barcelona.

But a goal from Luis Figo saw the Blaugrana rekindle some hope and in Camp Nou that was used as a source of inspiration as Rivaldo, Figo and Dani all netted to take the game into extra time after Flo had again found the net for Chelsea.

The hosts had the impetus with them and Rivaldo scored from the spot before Patrick Kluivert added a fifth to set up a semi final tie that the Catalan club would lose against Valencia.

2004-05

Five years later and things were seen to be very different as Mourinho had lifted Chelsea to the Premier League title and now had set his sights on leading the club to European glory.

A year after he had made his name by winning the Champions League with Porto, the brusque coach was to return to a club where he had enjoyed an apprenticeship under Sir Bobby Robson and then Louis van Gaal.

Met at the airport in Catalunya with fans berating him with chants of 'translator', the role they believe he was best in, were not unexpected as he sought to turn up the heat in the build-up by over-stating Chelsea's chances of victory.

Barcelona themselves were just beginning to emerge from a period of six seasons without a trophy and were back in the Champions League after a season spent trying to succeed in the UEFA Cup.

Frank Rijkaard was the complete opposite of the Blues coach and preferred to stay out of the slanging match that would have ensued had he responded to some of Mourinho's comments.

Instead, the Chelsea boss turned his attention to the matchday referee and accused the highly-rated Anders Frisk of speaking to Rijkaard during the interval of Chelsea's first leg defeat in Camp Nou.

That accusation had huge consequences as the matchday official received death threats from people claiming to be Chelsea fans and, coming only months after he was struck by an object at a Roma game, he decided to stop refereeing.

Chelsea lost 2-1 thanks to goals from Maxi Lopez and Samuel Eto'o, after they had led through a Juliano Belletti own goal, but this was almost forgotten amid the furore.

Didier Drogba was dismissed in that encounter and the scene appeared set for the Blaugrana to head to London to ease through, with Eto'o stating that if his side scored at all then the tie would be over.

Mourinho did not agree and the word from Stamford Bridge was that his team would 'crush' Barça, but few actually expected that to happen and even less thought Chelsea would be three goals ahead with fewer than 20 minutes of the gone.

Eidur Gudjohnsen, Frank Lampard and Damien Duff all netted as Chelsea were rampant, but their mood changed rapidly when Ronaldinho produced one of the goals of the season as he toe-poked home from the edge of the area after having reduced the arrears from the penalty spot.

If Barcelona had scored again the encounter would have been over, but instead there was time for a huge twist in the tail as Valdes was blocked by a Chelsea defender on the line and John Terry turned the ball in from a corner for what proved to be the winning goal.

Whether the Catalan keeper was fouled or not was an issue that raged, but more headlines were made after Rijkaard and several Barça players had to be restrained after the final whistle as frustrations boiled over.

While the Blues made it to the semi final that season and were knocked out by Liverpool with a goal from Luis Garcia that Mourinho is still infuriated about to this day, Barça did not have to wait long to avenge their loss.

2005-06

If the Blaugrana had been irked by Chelsea, and their manager in particular, then in the 2005-06 first knockout round, the Londoners' boss was apoplectic after a first leg defeat at Stamford Bridge.

It was not so much the defeat that had riled Mourinho as a red card shown to Del Horno in the first half after he went in on Messi with a challenge that left the Argentinian rolling around on the pitch.

The game was to be a tale of two own goals; Thiago Motta beat Cech at one end, before Terry nodded the ball past Valdes in the second half at the other.

Eto'o showed the sheer joy that the whole Barcelona team felt when he nodded home the winning goal in the first leg, and Mourinho went to the press and complained bitterly.

Asking how to say 'cheat' in Catalan, he aimed his venom at Messi and famously added: "Can Messi be suspended for acting? Barcelona is a cultural city with many great theatres and this boy has learned very well. He's learned play-acting."

Messi responded by stating that he did not 'do theatre' but it was clear that the Argentinian was pleased to have had effect on Mourinho, and not a good one at that.

In the return leg, things were slightly calmer and Mourinho had few complaints after Ronaldinho produced a stunning effort to put his side two up on aggregate.

After trying to do the same in their previous league game, the manager kept his players in the dressing room for several minutes after Barça had gone out on to the pitch, but the trick did not work.

An injury time penalty from Frank Lampard was not enough for the Blues and while they went on to win the Premier League title, Barça made it to Paris where they defeated Arsenal to lift the European Cup for the second time in their history.

2006-07

The last time the two sides lined up against each the sound-bytes were kept to a minimum and the goading and berating on the pitch was also nowhere as intense as it had been in previous games.

It was down to the fact that during the 2006-campaign, Chelsea and Barcelona met in the group stages of the Champions when there was only pride to play for as both sides were clear favourites to finish in the top two places of Group A.

With the angst missing and Mourinho being polite and respectable, his side were able to win without the show that he had put on in previous seasons and allowed his side's display to earn make the newspaper headlines instead.

At Stamford Bridge a wonder strike from Didier Drogba gave the Blues victory and despite Barça trying everything that they could to find a leveller, it was not to be.

In the second game there was drama as a late, late equaliser saw Mourinho rush out from the bench and slide across the wet turf in suit to celebrate and draw the ire of the Barça fans once more.

Deco had put the hosts in front in the opening half, before Frank Lampard chase what appeared to be a lost cause to the line on the left of the goal and amazingly lifted it back up and over Valdes and into the far side of the net.

It was an exquisite finish, but with six minutes Barça were level as former Blues star Gudjohnsen netted his first goal at Stamford Bridge when Ronaldinho picked him out after drawing the Chelsea defence to himself.

A home win looked certain but Chelsea were not giving up and in the 92nd minute Drogba chested the ball down and prodded home to spark the celebrations from a coach once again tormented by calls of 'translator'.

The draw left Barça in third place, but they were able to beat and overhaul Werder Bremen to claim second place in the group behind Chelsea before both teams were eliminated by eventual finalists Liverpool.

Be tough for Chelsea to get through this one but who knows, reading this earlier......

Steve Mullen -

Chelsea face a tough task to knock Barcelona out of the Champions League – but the stats are on the Blues’ side.

Sports betting analysts Bettorlogic have identified several key areas where Chelsea have the upper hand.

For a start, no foreign side has knocked an English team out of the competition over two legs since AC Milan saw off Manchester United back in 2007.

And Barca don’t like playing away from home in the second leg – they have been knocked out five times from six ties when playing at the Nou Camp first.

On the pitch, Chelsea’s form has definitely picked up as the season has gone on, while Barcelona have been pegged back by a Real Madrid side that were humiliated by Liverpool.

The second leg at Stamford Bridge is a huge plus and if the Blues can come back no more than one goal down, they can complete the job. The high street boys only go around evens for Guus Hiddink’s side to make the final but big online bookie expect.com go 6-4 and that’s a knocking bet.

Betting: Steve Mullen reckons Chelsea can reach the Champions League final | thelondonpaper.com

we did now can you Chelsea lol?

i reckon it will be a 1-1 today as long as Chelsea don't concede more then 2 and score 1 they pretty much in the tie!

well played by chelsea to keep it 0-0, but if they actually played like Hiddink had insisted they would (i.e. all out attack) i think they would have probably lost

Loads of rolling about from both sides lol.... drogba as usual was up to his old tricks and that daniel alveves lmao what a cúnt, the spanish really know how to roll about lol.

Was a penalty, ballack should of walked, so chelski as usual have allot of luck.

But they should of sent the whole barca side off for the play acting, Its a disgrace the sooner they start fining clubs for diving and play acting the better... Liverpool would be skint lmao ;)

Mickie

Not a bad result but I would of prefered 1 - 1 than 0 - 0

If Barcelona score now at the bridge we will need 2 :(

Still I'd rather come away goaless than come away with our arses smacked ;) Anyway I can relax now and watch tomorrows game, it's the Mancs and Gooners turn to be on the edge of your sofa's lmao :)

what i saw cheslski where pushed back, but the soaked up the pressure and had a couple of chances. not many would have had nil nil not the spectical many were forecasting either......

as said the rolling around play acting spoils footy for me, i honestly cant understand why the refs cant work out who is real and who is "cheating". i like most have played football at some level if you get clogged and it hurts you dont roll around generally you keep still and hold the injured part tightly in the hope the pain will go.

the sooner fifa uafa fa stamp down on it and get it out of the sport the better.

and whats with the thing now of knocking the ball past the defender and then running into him falling on the floor and claiming a free kick for obstruction.

back to barca chelski i think 0-0 was a good result of chelski and i hope they tonk barca at the bridge

as said the rolling around play acting spoils footy for me, i honestly cant understand why the refs cant work out who is real and who is "cheating". i like most have played football at some level if you get clogged and it hurts you dont roll around generally you keep still and hold the injured part tightly in the hope the pain will go.

What you mean someone as big as drogba and as strong as him when running against another player... that also rolls about and falls over like he is shot.

How refs cannot work out that the biggest player on the pitch (normally), is play acting is beyond belief and he gets away with it every time lol.

Your right hatab!!!!!

I hope daniel alves never comes to the premiership that will be another diver and maybe the worst lol!!!!!

Mickie

Chelski wont have 11 men behind the ball at the bridge like they did last night therefore Barca will definitely score an away goal. Henry, Messi & Eto have more than 90 goals between them in all competitions this season alone.

Chelski will have to be exceptionally good to overcome Barca I think. They looked lost last night and I've seen Chelski taking teams in the premiership apart this season. That just shows you the gulf between the two sides.

Incidently I hate all this play acting too! I've said many times before and will say it again.

All professional footballers are overpaid pansies! and I mean all of them!

Last edited:
will that drogba chance in the 1st half come back to haunt them? should really have scored considerin the value of an away goal...

I thought Chelsea were very negative but could and should have scored, Barca played good football at times but dithered when they got to the box which is unusual for them this year.

I think Chelsea will need to score more than 1 at the bridge to go through.

I said it before the tie and i stick with it now I think Chelsea will get past Barca. Barca look great playing Spanish teams and teams from around Europe but now they're playing against one the premierships best and that in my opinion is a different ball game (theres reasons why English teams dominate europe). Barca had some good moments last night but Chelsea looked in control and for me if they had decided to push a little they would have the away goal, very nearly did anyway. I wish them all the best next week .
MrP

Back