Ban on tobacco displays announced

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The open display of tobacco in shops is to be banned in England and Wales, the government has announced.

But it is understood plans for an outright ban on tobacco vending machines and branding on cigarette packets have been scrapped.

Ministers hope the display ban, which is also under consideration in Scotland, will reduce smoking. Northern Ireland is yet to decide a policy.

Critics say the moves do not go far enough to stop young people smoking.

A government consultation on how to deter young people from smoking launched six months ago found the "overwhelming majority" of 100,000 responses backed the display ban.

Health Secretary Alan Johnson said he had been impressed with evidence from other countries, suggesting the move would have an impact on smoking rates.

Ministers say where other countries - such as Iceland - have removed displays, smoking prevalence among young people has fallen by up to 10%.

Alan Johnson said: "They see the point of sale display and as a result of seeing it, it encourages them to take up smoking."

He said people who start smoking in their youth - aged 11 to 15 - are three times more likely to have a premature death than someone who takes up smoking at the age of 20.

They are also more likely to be hooked for life.

Deborah Arnott, director of the anti-smoking group ASH, backed the ban and said the prohibition of the display of tobacco products at point of sale would be "a proportionate response to the death and disease caused by tobacco".

The Tobacco Manufacturers' Association opposes the cigarette display ban and says it could have serious unintended consequences, such as driving the sale of illicit tobacco.

It could also damage the income of smaller shops that rely heavily on tobacco sales, said the TMA's chief executive Mr Chris Ogden.

Mr Johnson said the big supermarkets would be asked first to remove their displays.

Restricting access

But the British Heart Foundation says a total ban on vending machines is the only way to prevent children accessing cigarettes.

Vending machines are the source of cigarettes for nearly one in five young smokers aged 11 to 15 - some 46,000 children. HAVE YOUR SAY Let's face it - illegal drugs flourish without advertising or display. This is government by pressure group Richard Buxton, Reading

A British Heart Foundation spokeswoman said: "When the government announces further steps on tobacco control we expect nothing less than a robust tobacco control plan which includes a total ban on cigarette vending machines.

"We are concerned about the large number of children being able to access cigarettes without a face to face transaction."

There are a number of ways in which access to tobacco from vending machines can be limited, including making customers obtain an ID coin from a member of staff in order to operate the machine, as used in the Republic of Ireland.

The government had also considered banning all promotional material from tobacco packaging.

But ministers say until there is enough evidence such a move would actually stop young people taking up smoking it will not introduce a ban.

BBC NEWS | Health | Ban on tobacco displays announced

Where do these ministers get there information from? Don't most youngsters just start smoking because their peers do and perhaps there family.

If the goverment really wanted to stop people then why not just ban it altogether. That would certainly help with the enconomic climate.

This could be an interesting poll here where we could all vote on what people in here think about why younster smoke and of course why some of us started smoking. I know I did not start smoking because I saw them in the shops.

We are getting more and more like a nanny state.

Where do these ministers get there information from? Don't most youngsters just start smoking because their peers do and perhaps there family.

If the goverment really wanted to stop people then why not just ban it altogether. That would certainly help with the enconomic climate.

This could be an interesting poll here where we could all vote on what people in here think about why younster smoke and of course why some of us started smoking. I know I did not start smoking because I saw them in the shops.

We are getting more and more like a nanny state.

with the funding gone that the government gets from cigs it could make things worse with a ban.

If you do a bit of research,you will find out the government get more from tax on fags than what they put into the nhs for smoking related diseases.

Hi there , bit of info for you, the cost to the nhs is estimated to be 2 billion a year (estimated as the real fact is they cant be sure its all cig related), the govement raises 9 billion in duty per year from cigs (not including bussiness tax etc).
1 in 3 cigs smoked in the uk (bought here (from mate in the pub) or brought in from forigen trips) are fake, this is all about public opion (vote winning)
i am a none smoker and have always been, a friend works in the industry and says the last action to put pictures on packets had no real long term effects in other countries just like the banning in public places with in 2 years sales recover,

finally if everybody quit smoking vat would have to raise by 2 pence in the pound for everybody in the uk!

Last edited:
Should ban smoking all together its just a dirty habit thats all, and why dont you smokers ever pick up your nubs you chuck on the ground?bet when u sit @ home u dont just drop em .

if your gonna ban smoking altogether ban the booze as well as this is the main cause of anti social behaviour (bing drinking) which also cost the tax payers millions in policeing as booze is so cheap and also too easy acessable yes i do smoke i thought i would have my 2 pennies worth ! In it a bummer when you go in town with ur mates who smoke then next min. ur outside in the rain with the smokers anyway coz that's where everybody is, if you want to go to the extreme they will put chocolate behind the counter and restric people to 1 bar to stop people getting obese which also cost's the nhs millions maybe billions (all because of junk food)
that's my peice said sorry if it affends just had to have my say

Hi just checked back in i was refering soley to the subject in question not the total budget for the nhs. i was taking about figures relating to the subject of the post.
i was not defending smoking i do not or have not smoked i grew up with a heavy smoker that put me off for life.
This latest under the counter move will increase the amount of fakes in circulation these are handed to the cigiratte companys by the police and are found to contain far more toxins etc from items that are not tobacco, which doesnt take a genius to work out have a worst effect than the origional item, it is belived most are coming from china and the far east.

i dont usually visit this section but seeing a subject i do know somthing about thought i would share the information sorry to have bothered you so much, needless to saw i will not bother you again, nice comment at the end also.

Nothing like well researched responses.

You will find that karym likes to go off topic when it suits him.I think the problem is that he sometimes googles the wrong thing.
Hi just checked back in i was refering soley to the subject in question not the total budget for the nhs. i was taking about figures relating to the subject of the post.
i was not defending smoking i do not or have not smoked i grew up with a heavy smoker that put me off for life.
This latest under the counter move will increase the amount of fakes in circulation these are handed to the cigiratte companys by the police and are found to contain far more toxins etc from items that are not tobacco, which doesnt take a genius to work out have a worst effect than the origional item, it is belived most are coming from china and the far east.

i dont usually visit this section but seeing a subject i do know somthing about thought i would share the information sorry to have bothered you so much, needless to saw i will not bother you again, nice comment at the end also.

Nothing like well researched responses.

Karym get over yourself bud,nelly and me were on about the budget to the nhs for smoking related diseases and you gave a link for total funding to the nhs,WTF
Nothing like a well reasoned and based post from yoursefl dave24. You should really find a new hobby. Whilst I am flattered with your constant attentions, it is a bit creepy.

@Nelly, I am sorry, the comment about well researched posts wasnt aimed at you. Your post showed more thought and reasoning behind it than the previous posters comments. I dont fully agree with you concerning VAT, but you do have a valid point about counterfeit and illegal cigarettes. However, I think this is something that is already happening, I mean all through summer I was approached by people when I was standing outside the pub who offered to sell me cheap cigarettes. This is more likely due to the ban and I am not sure that the new scheme would increase this activity.

Back