Linux Backup Raspberry Pi

Shindig

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hello,

So I can use this command
dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image bs=1M

to take a full backup of the SD card that has the OS installed for my raspberry pi.
What I need help with is:

How do I find out what /dev/sdx (location of SD card) actually is?
Where would be the best place to backup to - /path/to/image - the SD card is 8gb so I can just write it back to itself in a way.
I would like to CRON it, I assume once I get the line correct and confirm its working, I can just CRONTAB that line?

Linux very new to me, would appreciate the help.
Cheers

Hello,

So I can use this command
dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image bs=1M

to take a full backup of the SD card that has the OS installed for my raspberry pi.
What I need help with is:

How do I find out what /dev/sdx (location of SD card) actually is?
Where would be the best place to backup to - /path/to/image - the SD card is 8gb so I can just write it back to itself in a way.
I would like to CRON it, I assume once I get the line correct and confirm its working, I can just CRONTAB that line?

Linux very new to me, would appreciate the help.
Cheers

use dmesg or sudo fdisk -l to get info on your attached storage. sd card will probably be /dev/sdb
also you can look in /var/log/messages to find out the sdcard dev name

also be careful with dd command when selecting the output device you want to backup to

Last edited:
Yes, then you can add the Windows share to fstab and off you go :)

You'll have to install the Samba client obs...

I gave up when getting to the windows share side of it... jee its tought stuff!
Anyway I grabbed this util and popped the SD card hosting the OS in my laptop. Took an image of it... and did a restore.
I appreciate you get downtime but it works as a one off once a month or so.

HDDGURU: HDD Raw Copy Tool

This is what I did to back-up my card after setting things up, I used linux.

First you can even create swap if you want on your card before backing -up, I used gprated to create linux-swap space on the free space on the card, then.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I know this is an old post but people (like me ) are still getting these RPi's you can use win32diskimager to read the sdcard onto a windows computer(backup) and then write it to another card or even the same card it is the recommended way to write the image to a sdcard by the RPi forums

Back