ASA probes Home Office 'go home' van campaign

hatab

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You couldn't make it up, some 60 people have complain these vans might have had raciest comments.

My comment is, and ?

They are aimed at, lets get this right, ILLEGAL immigrants?

Why are we wasting time probing to see if it is raciest, gowd help us.

Source BBC News - ASA probes Home Office 'go home' van campaign

Advertising Standards Agency probes Home Office 'go home' van campaign
Illegal immigrant advert van People have complained that the vans could incite or exacerbate racial hatred

A scheme which saw vans drive through London calling on illegal immigrants to leave is to be investigated by the advertising watchdog.

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said it had started the inquiry into the Home Office's "go home or face arrest" vans following 60 complaints.

The pilot scheme has faced criticism from the Liberal Democrats and Liberty.

A Home Office spokesman said it was in contact with the ASA and would "respond in due course".

The ASA said it had been "flooded" with calls in support of the scheme following its decision to investigate.

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles told BBC Radio 5 live that the scheme would be rolled out nationally, "if proved effective".

He said: "Given Labour's open-door immigration policy, I don't see anything offensive as suggesting to illegal immigrants that their stay in this country might be shorter than they thought."
'Misleading' claims

The Home Office has said the pilot worked, but did not say how many people had left the country.

Vans were driven around Barnet, Hounslow, Barking and Dagenham, Ealing, Brent and Redbridge as part of the campaign, which started on 22 July and lasted a week.

In a statement, the ASA said the complainants - "individual members of the public" - had expressed concerns that the advert, in particular the phrase "go home", was offensive and irresponsible.
Peter Bone MP Conservative MP Peter Bone said the government should be congratulated for the pilot

It said complainants were concerned this was "reminiscent of slogans used by racist groups to attack immigrants in the past and could incite or exacerbate racial hatred and tensions in multicultural communities".

"Separately, some complainants have challenged whether the claim '106 arrests last week in your area' is misleading," the ASA added.

"They've also challenged whether it is misleading because it implies arrest is the automatic consequence of remaining in the UK without permission."

It added that one of the complainants was a former member of the ASA Council, Labour peer Lord Lipsey.
'National Front-style slogans'

A Home Office spokesman said the 106 arrests referred to in the campaign were made across the six pilot boroughs between 30 June and 6 July.

Labour's shadow immigration minister Chris Bryant said: "You've got to question the government's competence. We need effective action on immigration not offensive stunts."
A van showing Liberty's response to the government advert Liberty, which has criticised the banner, has created its own advert in response

Rachel Robinson, policy officer at human rights campaign group Liberty, said: "Driving National Front-style slogans around ethnically-diverse areas was bound to cause deep offence."

Liberal Democrat business secretary Vince Cable has described the scheme as "stupid and offensive" and Brent Council leader Muhammed Butt said the project was "an act of desperation".

Speaking on Radio 4, Lord Ouseley, a crossbench peer who is the former chief executive of the Commission for Racial Equality, said the advert was contributing to an "element of racism and xenophobia".

But Conservative MP for Wellingborough Peter Bone said the government should be congratulated for the pilot.

"If this works and people voluntarily go home because of it who would have been afraid to come forward before, then it's a good thing," he said.

BBC.co.uk

So apparently it is 'racist'.
But aren't the very people who complained are making it a race issue?
An illegal immigrant is 'illegal' no matter what his/her ethnic background may be. Its a law. No one has said 'that black man must go but that whitey can stay' or 'That white man must go but that black guy can stay'

What next?
Signs stating that criminals should stop committing crimes also outlawed as it breaches the human rights of said lawbreakers.

Never heard of anything so stupid in my life.

Illegal immigrant is walking down the street. Sees van. Oh yeah. I better bugger off home...I hadn't thought of that.

Wonder how much this little brainchild cost?

I think the van ads are not only stupid but downright nasty and bound to be devisive.

a) Isn't racist
b) Will have not actual affect on illegal immigrants, they are illegal for a reason.

This Country set itself on the path of self destruction many years ago. The death knell of this land started when the greatest freedom was removed, and made into a criminal offence...The freedom of speech that would enable folk to protest against the over running of our land, was prevented by law. A law that we enacted against ourselves...Until that law is rescinded and we can tell it as it is. The never ending spiral of massive immigration will continue.

We made a law, that stated to tell anyone that they are not wanted here in no uncertain terms, would get us in the Do Do!
Just imagine what my former mate would have said. If they were around now.......Sadly, it does seem to me that we gave all that we fought and worked for, to those that come here to enjoy for free all that we hold dear. Our land, our society, our way of life.......

It was said that when the Country was in peril, then we should beat Drakes Drum. Whereupon he would return to save our land...Oh that we could call back those that lie under the fields of Normandy. They would be horrified to see how our land has been given away.... Perhaps a salute of fifty 25 pounders would do the same thing? awaken the dead.....Sadly I think not..... We have been sold down the line...

Immigration is massively misunderstood but a great PR spin for out illustrious leaders :)

Not sure how you can have an open-door immigration policy and have illegal immigrants?

There is not, and never has been, an open-door policy. EU citizens are free to move between countries and that right is protected. Others sneak in and join the black economy - they are the illegals - if they tried to get in via normal channels they would be refused entry.

There is not, and never has been, an open-door policy. EU citizens are free to move between countries and that right is protected. Others sneak in and join the black economy - they are the illegals - if they tried to get in via normal channels they would be refused entry.

As you say HH they join the black economy (surprised that expression is still allowed to be used in these PC times) working for illegally low wages which is another reason why the ordinary mans wages managed to stay suppressed.

This Country set itself on the path of self destruction many years ago. The death knell of this land started when the greatest freedom was removed, and made into a criminal offence...The freedom of speech that would enable folk to protest against the over running of our land, was prevented by law. A law that we enacted against ourselves...Until that law is rescinded and we can tell it as it is. The never ending spiral of massive immigration will continue.

We made a law, that stated to tell anyone that they are not wanted here in no uncertain terms, would get us in the Do Do!
Just imagine what my former mate would have said. If they were around now.......Sadly, it does seem to me that we gave all that we fought and worked for, to those that come here to enjoy for free all that we hold dear. Our land, our society, our way of life.......

It was said that when the Country was in peril, then we should beat Drakes Drum. Whereupon he would return to save our land...Oh that we could call back those that lie under the fields of Normandy. They would be horrified to see how our land has been given away.... Perhaps a salute of fifty 25 pounders would do the same thing? awaken the dead.....Sadly I think not..... We have been sold down the line...
The Freedom of Expression is enshrined in the Human Rights Act. Although it covers more than just the spoken word, it basically states you have the right to say "I believe all x are y". Just as importantly, it allows people to state they are offended by that statment, and attempt a rebuttal.

What can get you into trouble, is saying "All x are y" (note the lack of caveat stating that it's your opinion).

It's also inadvisable to attempt to speak on someone else's behalf - although this is done by both the left and right on a regular basis.
I was attempting to point out that the rhetoric (hyperbole?) doesn't stand up to basic scrutiny. Oh, for a tounge in cheek smiley ;)

Jingoistic bollox! :flagwave:

...and I'm sure I've read that before somewhere too.

Back