Other Anyone using a seedbox?

gadgethome

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just been reading about seedbox for downloading torrents. Just wondering if anyone using? I'm currently using newgroups to download mainly tv series and wondering any advantages/disadvantages of switching over.

ultraseedbox seems to have good reviews and basic package after applying discount is £4.95 per month.

thanks

I've heard of Seedbox's but not looked into them, are they any good?

I use newsgroups and download around 2tb per month and never get any problems download TV shows & music. I get my full 152mbps speed (soon to be 200mbps).

Costs around £8 per month.

I've never liked torrents because of being paranoid with who my Ip is connected to.

I've heard of Seedbox's but not looked into them, are they any good?

I use newsgroups and download around 2tb per month and never get any problems download TV shows & music. I get my full 152mbps speed (soon to be 200mbps).

Costs around £8 per month.

I've never liked torrents because of being paranoid with who my Ip is connected to.

Same here. Download mine overnight on a Raspberry Pi. Lately the quickpar equivalent fails as its unable to rename the files where as on Windows it can rename fine. That's a different issue.

From reading about seedbox, the downloads are all done in the cloud and you either connect via ftp to your files or stream directly from them to kodi or another app.

I don't use kodi or anything.

I use sabnzbd (RSS watcher) to download the TV shows, it then checks and unpacks them into a folder that my media player has access to. then I just play them on the TV. I normally download overnight so as not to restrict my PC usage during the day and also to keep within vimins happy hours.

I don't bother with all these fancy looking front ends like XBMC etc.. I don't wanna sit there looking at a menu and read info etc.. I just wanna play the show. :)

I was reading about things like Ultraseedbox, they give you 300gb but is that enough? I can download more than that in 1 day if I'm doing a dump of music discographys or blu-rays.

Are torrents as good for getting older TV shows? When I've looked the new shows have 100's of peers, if not 1000's, but not the older stuff that has maybe 3 or 4.

The thing I like about the newsgroups is that if it's there you get the same speed for everything, you only have to wait minutes and not hours or days.

I know the seedboxes have good speed but if you are grabbing something from a torrent doesn't that depend on the seeders upload speed?

Or am I completely getting the usage of seedboxes wrong?

Torrents have come a long way since the early days as for speed i get the same as what i can download from Newsgroups around 78mbps so i get the same files in exactly the same time frame, The only difference is with torrents most of the trackers insist you re-seed for at least 3-4 days in a 10 day period or your banned from the trackers.

Newsgroup's your just a leecher but then again if i miss something i know i can grab just about anything from around 3 years old with my usenet provider cant say that about torrents.

But to be honest they both have good and bad points

I don't use kodi or anything.

I use sabnzbd (RSS watcher) to download the TV shows, it then checks and unpacks them into a folder that my media player has access to. then I just play them on the TV. I normally download overnight so as not to restrict my PC usage during the day and also to keep within vimins happy hours.

I don't bother with all these fancy looking front ends like XBMC etc.. I don't wanna sit there looking at a menu and read info etc.. I just wanna play the show. :)

I was reading about things like Ultraseedbox, they give you 300gb but is that enough? I can download more than that in 1 day if I'm doing a dump of music discographys or blu-rays.

Are torrents as good for getting older TV shows? When I've looked the new shows have 100's of peers, if not 1000's, but not the older stuff that has maybe 3 or 4.

The thing I like about the newsgroups is that if it's there you get the same speed for everything, you only have to wait minutes and not hours or days.

I know the seedboxes have good speed but if you are grabbing something from a torrent doesn't that depend on the seeders upload speed?

Or am I completely getting the usage of seedboxes wrong?

I think that you may be missing out with not using Kodi / xbmc. The nice menus are to help you find things but most importantly are the addons like Genesis, this lets you stream shows and movies without having to download them, so there is no wait at all, it great for your tV watching and it takes no space.

I think that you may be missing out with not using Kodi / xbmc. The nice menus are to help you find things but most importantly are the addons like Genesis, this lets you stream shows and movies without having to download them, so there is no wait at all, it great for your tV watching and it takes no space.

My media player has IPTV so I can stream lots of stuff, but I choose not to. I tend to watch 1080p (720p sometimes if 1080p is not available)streaming is sometimes choppy. After paying so much for a large screen tv I want to watch stuff in the best quality the Tv will allow.

When I turn on the player it gives me a list of TV shows I have, ether on the network share or it's internal hard drive or the extenal one. thats all I need.

The player has a nice menu system if needed, it connects to various websites to download artwork and info on the films or tv shows etc...

It has a web browser built in, youtube etc... I never use it. Plus other stuff.

Occasionally I use it for Shoutcast radio.

Last edited:
I watch all my shows in HD mainly 1080p, and all streaming from Kodi.

It might not be for you, but I would give it a go before you write it off

I used obtrix for many a year.When I needed big files from a site where you needed a ratio of 1:1, but now my children are up and away I find kick ass is great for what I want, though I do need a vpn cause BT have banned kick ass. :(
Think I'll move to Virgin. :)

I used obtrix for many a year.When I needed big files from a site where you needed a ratio of 1:1, but now my children are up and away I find kick ass is great for what I want, though I do need a vpn cause BT have banned kick ass. :(
Think I'll move to Virgin. :)

Virgin have banned kickass too. In fact all the big ISP's have banned (for want of a better word) most of the torrent sites.

Having said that the sites are still there and are easily viewable with a proxy, no need to use VPN to see the sites, TOR browser (which is free) will let you browse any sites banned or not even dark web, and anonymously.

I still hammer torrents, private trackers only. Seed boxes are best for torrents, continuously seeding. I'm on VM and can access the torrents site I use no bother even tho it's banned ;)

Selection of stuff is great and stuff doesn't go out of date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seedboxes are great. Especially on private trackers, you can setup RSS as well, so you are literally on the torrent as soon as its posted. This is a great way of increasing your ratio.

I wouldn't bother with a seedbox on a public site, as its unlikely you will be able to take advantage of it. Ive seen people on trackers with seedboxes uploading 1+tb of data overnight, dependent on the release and popularity.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

They do good boxes, for cheap.

Seedboxes are great. Especially on private trackers, you can setup RSS as well, so you are literally on the torrent as soon as its posted. This is a great way of increasing your ratio.

I wouldn't bother with a seedbox on a public site, as its unlikely you will be able to take advantage of it. Ive seen people on trackers with seedboxes uploading 1+tb of data overnight, dependent on the release and popularity.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

They do good boxes, for cheap.

On the RSS feed, can you request a TV series and it will download the next available episode? I've only ever used Sickbeard which does a great job of keep track.

On the RSS feed, can you request a TV series and it will download the next available episode? I've only ever used Sickbeard which does a great job of keep track.

With RSS, you can put in words, and it will match those words and download stuff. So you could put in Narcos, and then it will download all the narcos episodes/series'

Back