anyone owning a openbox/skybox s9,10,11,12,f1,f3,m3,etc should read this!

slyboxhd

DW Member ++
Reaction score
hello
ALL

anyone using these box's should know that if have the box connected to anti surge socket
you are running the risk of losing your hdmi port
you dont even have to be in the house for this to happen
and it is on the rise as most local Electricity Service are being upgraded/ worked on and thats when you get a power surge
you can get a anti surge socket from most electrical Hardware Stores!
hears a link to cheap anti sure socket: 4 WAY ANTI SURGE CABLE FREE MAINS POWER SOCKET ADAPTOR SWITCHES NEON INDICATORS | eBay
hope this helps :)

Did I read that correctly, there is risk of losing HDMI if connected to surge protector?

Did I read that correctly, there is risk of losing HDMI if connected to surge protector?

It's Ok, i read it exactly the same.

I think he means if you don't have it connected to one, although I doubt I would have something as ugly as that in my house...

It's Ok, i read it exactly the same.

I think he means if you don't have it connected to one, although I doubt I would have something as ugly as that in my house...

hello
exos
i would have to agre its not the best looking one on the market, was just giving the link to that one as is a cheap one for anyone like me that dont have much money to spend on it.
thanks for your input :)

hello
abu baniaz
sorry if i didnt make the post clear but to clear things up:
if you dont have a surge protector you run a risk of lossing the use of your hdmi port as if these box's have a power surge it will fry the hdmi port.
hope that helps clear up the post

i always use a belkin surge protector,,,got about 3 around the house...everythings plugged into there...not to sure if homeplugs worki via surge protectors though...yet to try..

hiya, this must of happened to a friend of mines box, he rang me few weeks ago saying hdmi port has stopped working on his openbox, went round and cud i hell get it working, so hes been using a scart lead,

i always use a belkin surge protector,,,got about 3 around the house...everythings plugged into there...not to sure if homeplugs worki via surge protectors though...yet to try..

hello
johnny

have found that some types of surge protectors wont work when running though the socket.
its better to go though the ethernet, hears one like i use that you can surge protect the ethernet: Buy BELKIN 4-Socket Surge Protector Extension Cable - 2m | Free Delivery | Currys
hope this helps

yeah..ive got belkin surgmemaster each has 8 sockets on it..had them for years..so far so good....havnt had any major power surges or spikes as yet...touch wood....lol

had to read the ts post twice lol

I think it is always a good idea to use a surge adaptor or extension with surge support, too many thunderstorms ready to zap anything away as it is.

I remember when my Supra diamond 56K Modem which I spent over £100 on got fried during the thunder storm, there I was thinking im getting 5.6k and am real bad.

Some devices also protect network/telephone cables.

There's also that thingy slug worth posted about. Not too long ago, advice was to disconnect cables in storm.

Back