Android tablet

dilly1066

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hiya, my brother has just got a samsung galaxy 10.1 tablet and brought it round to me to set up for him, so far im well impressed with it, screen is great and nice and responsive, copied films onto it with no problem at all dead easy, installed izip to use mainly after i set up nzb download manager and put all server details in and its got some films onto the samsung, then opened izip and its extracted the files and left with the film file, all so easy with no messing, i also got a apk file , uno app, from nzb transferred it onto the device and it installed and worked straight away, again dead easy to do, so far got me well impressed, i have a ipad 3 at the moment but really tempted to sell it and try a android device, so main questions are whats all the rooting devices about ? I had a advent vega couple years ago which i put a custom rom on mainly cause i thought you had to to install downloaded apk app files, but one i got earlier installed onto samsung with stock android 4.0.4 on it, so what does rooting the device do ?
Also are samsung one of the best android devices ? Or what other devices are good ?
This samsung says model gt-p5110, is that the latest model for samsung alaxy tablet ? Is there a new one due out ? Sorry for all questions lol, thanks

You don't necessarily have to put the films onto the tab (unless he's going to play them away from home), get ES File Explorer and Daroon Player (there are a few, like VPlayer, Wondershare etc) all of which allow him to stream his films to his device, form a NAS or PC. I also have XBMC on mine, but it's only beta and crashes a lot.

If you get Skifta, or PlayTo you can output the content (films on the device) to a DLNA TV (or any DLNA device)

I personally don't like the Samsung tabs and have a XOOM, but equally as you are looking to get an Android, I'm looking at getting an iPad lol....no real reason other than I have a bit of Apple stuff at home (ATV2(3), iPhone, Mac etc), i still love my Android tab though as it's "open".

Asus Transformer Prime is probably one to go for but they can be quite expensive.

Last edited:
Hiya, thanks for replys, yeah i looked at them asus ones and done look nice, do they run the same android version as samsungs then, whats this samsung galaxy note tablet like the quad core ? 330 at currys and there doing 80 cashback so 250 which seems pretty good for a tablet, i also have a iphone 5 which i love and wanting to keep for phone usage but just fancy a change from ipad, seems abit closed off now ive messed with that samsung, anyone got a samsung note or asus tablets ?

for streaming from my nas i use imediashare. works both ways to so can send to TV or stream. i have a samsung tab 2 and they are really smooth operating

Hiya, I got the Samsung galaxy note tablet yesterday and so far impressed with it, love the stuff you can do on it, got nzb leech setup , got ftp program setup to go into satellite receivers to edit config files etc, got tv program last night and started playing it and Samsung picked up my tv straight away , pressed on the monitor icon and it started playing on my tv with no problems, that was a mkv file, got the tablet rooted last night for a couple of things that needed super user which took about 10 minutes, overall really impressed, do have couple questions, what's best way to back everything up in case for some reason I ended up having to wipe the tablet, ? Other thing is this Samsung has android 4.0.4 which I believe is ics ? I could be totally wrong there though still learning on androids with having iPads for so long, is it best to stick with that or is there custom roms ? Thanks

Hiya, I got the Samsung galaxy note tablet yesterday and so far impressed with it, love the stuff you can do on it, got nzb leech setup , got ftp program setup to go into satellite receivers to edit config files etc, got tv program last night and started playing it and Samsung picked up my tv straight away , pressed on the monitor icon and it started playing on my tv with no problems, that was a mkv file, got the tablet rooted last night for a couple of things that needed super user which took about 10 minutes, overall really impressed, do have couple questions, what's best way to back everything up in case for some reason I ended up having to wipe the tablet, ? Other thing is this Samsung has android 4.0.4 which I believe is ics ? I could be totally wrong there though still learning on androids with having iPads for so long, is it best to stick with that or is there custom roms ? Thanks

I'd install CWM for your tab and then do a backup of your set up, also titanium backup can do all your app data & settings for moving between devices. Have a look over on XDA and you should find all the info you need about it and also any custom roms you wish to try

Hiya, is it worth trying out custom roms or better sticking with what I have on now ?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Hiya, is it worth trying out custom roms or better sticking with what I have on now ?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I always try a few custom Roms but then always revert back to stock rooted but I suppose it's a personal choice. Try a few and see is probably the best option/answer

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back