Amir Khan visa issues

bretttina

Inactive User
Reaction score
Amir Khan is stranded in Vancouver as his visa is quized....

Khan is due to defend the WBA 140lb title against Paulie Malignaggi on May 15 at Madison Square Garden, but had to transfer to Vancouver from the Los Angeles boxing gym of trainer Freddie Roach a week ago after an application for his work visa for the contest became an issue.

Khan was forced to leave and go to Canada to re-apply for the work permit.

Frank Maloney punches above his weight It is believed the delay may have been caused after US officials scrutinised Khan’s motoring offences in the UK.

In October 2007 Khan, then 20, was convicted of careless driving after he went through a red light and injured a pedestrian. He was driving his £87,000 BMW convertible in Bradshawgate, Bolton, when he struck Geoffrey Hatton on a pelican crossing.

Mr Hatton, 55, suffered a broken leg in the incident. Khan was cleared of dangerous driving, but found guilty of careless driving. He was given a six-month driving ban and fined £1,000.

Three months later he was back in court to face magistrates for an earlier offence of speeding. A police officer said his own speedometer was "off the clock" at 155mph as he pursued the boxer on the M62 motorway near Rochdale. He was fined £1,000 and banned for 42 days for speeding in his BMW.

Last summer, Khan, 22, was behind the wheel of his Range Rover when he was involved in an accident with a cyclist. A spokesman for the police later added that no further action would be taken against Khan.

The delay in the visa has meant that Freddie Roach, Khan’s trainer, yesterday flew to Vancouver from his base at the Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood to ensure that Khan’s preparations are kept on track ahead of a vital contest in his career, as he attempts to win over US boxing fans. Khan-Malignaggi will be screened on US cable giants HBO, while it is expected that an announcement is imminent for ITV to show the contest in the UK.

According to a source at Golden Boy Promotions, Khan’s handlers in the US, it may be up as long as a week before the work visa could be issued from the US Consulate in Vancouver.

Robert Diaz, the matchmaker for Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, speaking exclusively to The Daily Telegraph, said: “Amir Khan has had to go to Vancouver, and it is due to a few incidents when he was younger, but we are completely confident that he will be in New York to defend his title ahead of the fight with Malignaggi.

“Khan is a professional, and he has maintained his focus throughout the events that have taken place. Freddie Roach has gone up to Vancouver because it has taken longer to sort this out than we at first thought.”

An added twist to the May 15 event is that Colombian Breidis Prescott, Khan’s nemesis 17 months ago, has been added to the Madison Square Garden undercard.

Prescott was beaten by East Londoner Kevin Mitchell in Newcastle last December, propelling his career forward. Mitchell now faces Michael Katsidis for the interim World Boxing Organisation lightweight title on May 15, at Upton Park, hours before Khan, visa permitting, will meet Malignaggi.

The cracks in Khan's squeeky clean image have been there since before his boxing career even took off. A school bully and general thug.

When are his fans going to realise he is a disgrace to Islam, England (or Pakistan - whichever country he and his brother pledges allegiance to these days).

Can't believe he had the audacidy to say Terry and Cole brought shame to their families after the way he has conducted himself recently with the revelations in the news about his sex text torture antics. Laughable...

before his boxing career even took off. A school bully and general thug.

proof....?

and comparison with cole & terry is pathetic! these two are married men who at the age of 28/29 should know better. terry has 2 children and cheated with his team-mates missus who also has a child. both senior members of our national team and one was a captain at the time. terry (almost) & cole destroyed lives, hurt people, cut-off friendships etc has khan done that??!!?? i dont think so....

how having affairs can be compared to a few sleazy texts is beyond me......

Last edited:
Too right mate; he has a long way to go to be a Premier League slimball just yet. Point is though all three of them are liars with people who work for them behind the scenes in whatever capasity to present false images of the person which people don't apprechiate.

Hopefully he will get over himself sooner rather than later before he does end up like them or running away from a high speed car crash.

any evidence on this comment though?

Said it himself mate; that's how he got into boxing via his dad becasue he was a troubled youth! Can't say I've got any CCTV footage and only read in various places about his antics, so yeah, probably a bit out of order to condem him as such.

It's definetly getting harder for his team to contain his ego and virtious olympic image. No?

i hope they never ever let him out of vancouver !!
keep him there .

Said it himself mate; that's how he got into boxing via his dad becasue he was a troubled youth! Can't say I've got any CCTV footage and only read in various places about his antics, so yeah, probably a bit out of order to condem him as such.

It's definetly getting harder for his team to contain his ego and virtious olympic image. No?

c'mon m8 that was as a child, at the age of 7-8. kids at that age always get into trouble/messing around but credit to his dad for getting him away from that and look where he is now. Im sure the vast majority of us would like to be in his position.

as for containing his ego, obviously he's tryin to raise his profile, he wants to be big in the US as that is the pinnacle of boxing. it was always gona be hard for him to maintain his olympic image i think, he was just a kid at 17 and now being famous with lots of money comes with it own pressures. in 6 yrs, he's come from fighting/training at a local gym in bury to training in LA and fighting at Madison Square Gardens. He will have an ego because not many 23yr olds can say that. Im sure his dad who is a very level-headed guy will keep him in-line if he steps out.

c'mon m8 that was as a child, at the age of 7-8. kids at that age always get into trouble/messing around but credit to his dad for getting him away from that and look where he is now. Im sure the vast majority of us would like to be in his position.

as for containing his ego, obviously he's tryin to raise his profile, he wants to be big in the US as that is the pinnacle of boxing. it was always gona be hard for him to maintain his olympic image i think, he was just a kid at 17 and now being famous with lots of money comes with it own pressures. in 6 yrs, he's come from fighting/training at a local gym in bury to training in LA and fighting at Madison Square Gardens. He will have an ego because not many 23yr olds can say that. Im sure his dad who is a very level-headed guy will keep him in-line if he steps out.

lol, mate I've met his dad in bolton and he's got a bigger ego than his son. I have several friends in Bolton who own various businesses who regularly come across Amir and his father. And I can safely say both are pricks. His Mom on the other hand is a lovely lady the time I saw her. But believe me no one was happier than me when he was knocked on his arse by Prescott.

He's a paper champion and will be found out when he fights a real boxer, not the hand picked fights he's currently getting.

lol, mate I've met his dad in bolton and he's got a bigger ego than his son. I have several friends in Bolton who own various businesses who regularly come across Amir and his father. And I can safely say both are pricks. His Mom on the other hand is a lovely lady the time I saw her. But believe me no one was happier than me when he was knocked on his arse by Prescott.

He's a paper champion and will be found out when he fights a real boxer, not the hand picked fights he's currently getting.

Hi

Couldnt have said it better myself if only people knew the truth!!!

Regards

Most boxers are total pricks another who is a right arse hole is David Haye can't wait till someone takes him apart in the ring he is full of shit!

As for Khan yet to see him fight a proper fighter even Prescott was average lol and look what he did to him!

Rumble at the weigh in...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXnZ7D6Rxqg[/ame]

It's on ITV 1 tonight BTW...

Rumble at the weigh in...

It's on ITV 1 tonight BTW...

sets it up nicely for tonight then... lol

actually quite a sporting weekend, fa cup final, mitchell/katsidis, khan/malanaggi and then england/australia in 20/20 final tmrw :)

hopefully 3-0 victory for england/britain and portsmouth for the fa cup :proud:

sets it up nicely for tonight then... lol

actually quite a sporting weekend, fa cup final, mitchell/katsidis, khan/malanaggi and then england/australia in 20/20 final tmrw :)

hopefully 3-0 victory for england/britain and portsmouth for the fa cup :proud:

I know mate, gonna feel like we've been 12 rounds after watching all this... Danny Williams Vs David Chizora as well!!! Chizora has a slate lose so something mad will prob happen and Danny may retire tonight so worth watching to pay respect to him (I predict Danny to retire in the 10th on his stool - not predicting on the Khan fight as you won't like it lol:proud:)

Ohh, and the Mitchell Kats fight - toooooo close to call for me that one, think the experience of Kats might JUST win it but hope I'm very wrong...

not predicting on the Khan fight as you won't like it lol:proud:)

Ohh, and the Mitchell Kats fight - toooooo close to call for me that one, think the experience of Kats might JUST win it but hope I'm very wrong...

lol m8.. if u think malanaggi is gona win thats cool, all bout opinions init :proud: i think khan will win and i hope he does, this malanaggi seems a bit of twit and after all when it comes to a brit v american we never really wana lose to them lol

as for kats & mitchell, i agree too close to call. kats is a real brawler and has been in some thrilling fights. i hope mitchell wins but i cant really make a prediction on it.....

danny who.................? lol :proud:

lol m8.. if u think malanaggi is gona win thats cool, all bout opinions init :proud: i think khan will win and i hope he does, this malanaggi seems a bit of twit and after all when it comes to a brit v american we never really wana lose to them lol

as for kats & mitchell, i agree too close to call. kats is a real brawler and has been in some thrilling fights. i hope mitchell wins but i cant really make a prediction on it.....

danny who.................? lol :proud:

No, think he'll win, but I don't want him to... You know, it would be wrong of me to say I want him to lose to be spitful toward him, but all I can say is I don't want to see him win - I'm not a fan, but I'm not a fan of the magic man either. If it goes 12 rounds I'll be happy...

Danny is a hard man, he's give a lot to domestic fighting even though he seems to have lost his mental strength over the years, but I love the guy and he would get a framed photo on the wall of my 'currently' imaginary geezers playroom lol...

Back