Alleged Nazi sidesteps trial

FUBAR69

Inactive User
Reaction score
An 89-year-old man wanted in Germany on war crimes charges has been released from custody after his deportation from the US was blocked.

Earlier, US federal agents had detained John Demjanjuk at his home in Ohio, carrying him out in a wheelchair.

But a US federal appeals court granted an 11th hour stay of deportation after Mr Demjanjuk's family argued that he was too ill to be transported.

He is accused of being a guard at the Sobibor death camp in World War II.

Mr Demjanjuk denies the charges, claiming that he was captured by the Germans in his native Ukraine during the war and kept as a prisoner of war.

He was arrested at his home earlier on Tuesday and taken to a federal building in Cleveland, from where he was expected to be flown to Germany.

It's just a shame that Mr Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning

But the 6th Circuit US Court of Appeals intervened to prevent the deportation while it examined the case further.

A spokesman for Mr Demjanjuk's family said they were "delighted" by the decision.

"It's just a shame that Mr Demjanjuk had to go through the hell that he went through once again this morning," said Ed Nishnic.

Mr Demjanjuk's son, John Demjanjuk Jr, said if the "madness and inhumane action" of deportation was not stopped his father would die in hospital in Germany without standing trial.

He also criticised the manner of the arrest, saying the government had not kept a promise to give three to five day's notice of their arrival and to collect his father in an ambulance.

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency has said it will continue electronic monitoring of Mr Demjanjuk and will "work co-operatively with the Department of Justice and the government of Germany to effect [his] removal".

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | 'Nazi guard' deportation blocked

cant help wondering if he were as humane with his victims (alleged), as his family wishes the US to be with him. sure his guilt needs to be proved, in my opinion its already been proved. the first time an ex inmate id'd him! seems odd to me to give the cohorts of the most vile regime of the last 200 years, any rights at all. soldiers or not, they knew what they were doing, which makes them guilty.

Tend to agree with you Boboboy, even seeing his slimy son (allegedly slimy son) lol saying "we hope it is for a long time" in other words let my dad die of old age in peace and at home..

He never gave any consideration to the poor peeps he help kill :(

Funny though how after all this time they are trying like hell (quite righty so) but never tried half as hard with Josef Mengele etc ?

strange that, the Yanks didn't mind the nazi's who invented the V1 & V2 rockets, they were welcomed with open arms to create Nasa .

strange that, the Yanks didn't mind the nazi's who invented the V1 & V2 rockets, they were welcomed with open arms to create Nasa .

indeed so. they do seem to make a habit of defending the indefensible.

It aint just rockers they were interested in lol, anyone remember Shirō Ishii ?

Killed around 10,000 in experiments with gas etc, got immunity from the yanks and a nice penthouse and a 6 figure salary... ah the land of the free ffs

Dont get me started on the morals of the yanks lol or the lack of !!

how is letting an old 89 year old man(who might be innocent)die in a german nick going to bring back any of the holocaust victims.
i dont agree with what the germans done in ww2 but soldiers do as they are told by senior officers /govt and they are the ones to blame(in my most humble opinion)

this has been going on for years now

i think they found out who he was several years back and legal proceedings have been going on ever since

remember the nazi war criminal at the euro cup last year :p

how is letting an old 89 year old man(who might be innocent)die in a german nick going to bring back any of the holocaust victims.
i dont agree with what the germans done in ww2 but soldiers do as they are told by senior officers /govt and they are the ones to blame(in my most humble opinion)

yeh, i tend to go that way myself. truth is, few of those, truly, guilty were ever brought to trial. and No on this point "i was only following order" does not hold water. if you decide to kill someone, on orders, evento save your own life ( as some insist) you still need to face the music. as for this guy, possibly, being innocent? too many, did, id him (many dead now). even this is a better trial than those who died in the camps got. So "What's good for the goose"!

People need to see no matter the cost or time span involved anyone guilty of such crimes will always be hunted down like the scum that they are . . .

Thousands of families across europe are still missing a lot of people so I think it is still valid to proceed

Back