advice and help required ISP thottling NZB downloading and using a VPN to bypass

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
As above, Just changed isp (BT to EE) adsl to 76mb Fibre unfortunately it looks like EE throttle NZB download speeds , (my fault I should have checked)

Anyway Im with newsleecher server and usually use their software but im trying grabit at the moment. ON BT I was getting 6.5mb which was my maxuim speed on ADSL. now Im getting less than that on fibre sometimes and max im hitting is @ 14mb

The ports that Newsleecher use are

SSL

Anyway round the trottling? would a VPN work.? anyone use VPn like this? and which one would give me max speed. Anyone use Giganews with the VPN they provide? does that work? etc etc

I need something easy to set up which just works!

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Yes mate just go through a VPN it's what I do to get around blocks as well..
I use zen mate as an extension to chrome..works a treat and easy to use a simple on/off when you do and don't need it.

Just my 2 cents but you made a massive mistake going to EE should have stuck with BT on the fibre broadband, I tired to tell a friend of mine around 12 months ago after i read there traffic management policy regarding any type of download and he was assured it was unlimited guess what the sales person lied. By the time he tried to wriggle out f the contract he had already passed his 2 weeks grace period 12 months later he got shut and went to BT.

EE traffic shape all there download to around 01:00am from then on its a free for all until there peak time approaches see here:
Code:
if you can get out of contract do it asap as no VPN will help here even using an SSL 443 port which is encrypted wont do a thing 16:00 till 01:00am your Fooked.

People slate BT off something rotten but i am now on my 4th year and have been using newsgroups for years and with BT i can download at full speed 24/7 never had any type of cap or anything and i get through around 5-6tb a month easily.

I think the only reason i will leave this year is due to the fact that i have to pay for a Phone line that i do not use so £17.99 a month is wasted, i will probably go back to VM in a few months just for the BB only deals and the 200mb download speed LOL

To late to get out of Im afraid, but Agree totally I made a mistake. Guess Ill have to live with it for the next 18 months. I wonder what will happen when BT eventually take over EE?

CAn I ask why using a vpn wont work for me @digi247 either staying with newsleecher and using zenmate desktop client for windows or moving to giganews and using their supplied VPN

Cheers Pal.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wont matter if you use a VPN or a Proxy etc.. its traffic management when you use Newsleecher i use NZBget and connect through a 256bit encrypted SSL port BT still know how much traffic is going through they just dont know what type of traffic, same with a VPN the ISP still sees the connection but with encrypted data there is no way around it.

Just do your downloading overnight

I do most of my downloading through the night anyway so that shouldnt be a problem really. Just tried it on my other laptop which has an a/c wireless adapter and getting @60mb download this morning via wireless and through wired Im getting more which is enough for me but I could do wire a usb a/c wireless adapter which I think will help with speeds on my older laptop which I use for downloads. anyone recommend a decent one?

if i remember when i had ee fiber i got around by using a ssl port . have you tried this

I assume your using the newsleecher download program as they do not have an actual newsgroup as such, you mentioned Giganews in your first post and they have 2 SSL ports which are 563 and 443 all other ports are standard and are not encrypted

@digi247
Im using newsleecer software to access their own newsgroup server "eu.newsleecher.com"

I mentioned giganews as I was thinking about moving to them as they offer a vpn as part of their service which says it can get round isp throttling.

The ports Im using SSL to access NEWSLEECHER server are 563, 80 and 81 which are incripted and standard ports :

Cheers Pal

As above, Just changed isp (BT to EE) adsl to 76mb Fibre unfortunately it looks like EE throttle NZB download speeds , (my fault I should have checked)

Anyway Im with newsleecher server and usually use their software but im trying grabit at the moment. ON BT I was getting 6.5mb which was my maxuim speed on ADSL. now Im getting less than that on fibre sometimes and max im hitting is @ 14mb

The ports that Newsleecher use are

SSL

Anyway round the trottling? would a VPN work.? anyone use VPn like this? and which one would give me max speed. Anyone use Giganews with the VPN they provide? does that work? etc etc

I need something easy to set up which just works!

Code:

Hello
shaun127

you can get out of your contract if you want to ;)
have a look at this: Crappy broadband speeds? New Ofcom rules let you leave your ISP early - Recombu
Wot you want to do is unplug the feed to the router and phone them and say iv no broadband witch they will be able to see from there end, they will put you thought the usal shit then they will send you out a new router,
When you get it you want to do the same again but this time when they are half way though there checks plug it back in they will see it connect then unplug it again etc then phone offcome and have it loged as a complent and then you need to do this an other 3 times, you will have to wait 8 weeks before you can get the ombissman to look into your case ( offcom can explane it all to you when you call them ) , every so offten you will need to create a falut for them to see, a bt-openreach engineer will come out ( he could improve your cable connection or see no falut witch will backup your case for leaving them,
its alot of work and will take about 3 months? but if you want out thats your way to do it ;)

Thanks for advice Pal @slyboxhd it isnt really that bad as its fine in the mornings and through the night. Its just late afternoon/evening thats the problem and I can live with that really. The kids happy with xbox live etc and streaming appears to be ok. Its just NZb downloading. So Ill do the lot at night now and move back to bt when its finished.

@digi247
Im using newsleecer software to access their own newsgroup server "eu.newsleecher.com"

I mentioned giganews as I was thinking about moving to them as they offer a vpn as part of their service which says it can get round isp throttling.

The ports Im using SSL to access NEWSLEECHER server are 563, 80 and 81 which are incripted and standard ports :

Cheers Pal

Sorry Pal,

I had not realised Newsleecher had branched out into usenet, i have not used newsleecher program for many years as i found it to be a system resource Hog it may have improved over the years but when i used it i had little niggly problems.

from reading on there own pages they only discuss as having port 563 as ssl encrypted, which wont matter anyway as this still will not bypass any throttling cap.

Good luck with the Broadband

Hi all
I dont use newsfeeds and still use torrentz, if i moved to EE would the same issues arise? ie only able to download between 1am and 7am?

Im with VM at the moment but am looking to save dough

cheers

A simple solution to this problem would be to get a seedbox or something similar. That way you can FTP everything across to your laptop/PC, I wouldn't expect any ISP to throttle FTP traffic, and it would be SSL encrypted.

A VPN would work, but it would likely affect the speeds you're getting anyway, so probably wouldn't make it any better.

Code:

They used to do a 1gbps box for $6 a month.

Back