Activision court battle means no DLC for MW2

cg010169

DW Regular
Reaction score
In what is now fast becoming the gaming industry scandal of the decade it may be the consumer that ends up bearing the brunt of Activision’s and Infinity Wards legal proceedings. Only this morning IGN have published the full detail of the lawsuit that is being filed against Activision by Jason West and Vince Zampella. In it the Plaintiff (West and Zampella) claim ownership of the Modern Warfare brand and have requested a temporary or permanent injunction against the release of any Modern Warfare game, or Call of Duty title set in the post-Vietnam era, near future or distant future.

Now this may not at first glance appear to have any bearing on any future content for the current Modern Warfare 2 title, however further on in the document the plaintiffs request for relief further outlines that they contest the exploitation of the Modern Warfare brand stating

For a preliminary or permanent injunction against’s Defendant enjoining it and its officers, agents, employees and representatives from violating Plaintiff’s rights with respect to the development, release and exploitation of any Modern Warfare game or Call of Duty title set in the post-Vietnam era, near future or distant future.

The key word here is of course exploitation which will include gaining financial reward. So with the whole brand in question and an injunction being sought by the Plainiff then the possibility of seeing any extra content for Modern Warfare 2 at all never mind any time soon is very slim

source
Activision court battle means no DLC for MW2, News from The Lost Gamer

What I don't understand is how an online shooter can possibly be bad so long as it works as it should ? Because beyond that they're all the same to me....you run around shooting people, rinse and repeat. Then you have the usual campers, spawn killers, glitchers, quitters etc which to me is all par for the course regarding online games. So really how is say MAG any different to MW2 ? Except for maps and pace of the game obviously. Because the act of shooting yanks is the same in both games.

I should mention, if it isn't obvious already, that I don't play FPS games online hardly ever....not that I don't enjoy them it's just I can't differentiate one from the next - and as a matter of fact the only games I do play online full stop is PES and Fifa games and Uncharted 2 lol. All 3 games stand out as being very different to play online and regarding Uncharted2 it's the platforming and stealth mechanics that makes all the difference online. It's fantastic. But FPS games, I just don't get how they differ from one another online.

Back