ACL Reconstruction

stevemac40

Inactive User
Reaction score
It looks as though i'm going to have to have an ACL (Arterial Crucuate Ligament) reconstruction and am now faced with a choice of 2 different ops:

A Patella graft
or
A Hamstring graft

Any of you guys had experience of either of these operations, how are the results, any complications, have you been able to return to sport, how long before you could walk and do basic activities?

Thanks Eva. I've read up a fair bit on it but I wanted to get some feedback from people who have actually gone through the different surgery.

It looks as though i'm going to have to have an ACL (Arterial Crucuate Ligament) reconstruction and am now faced with a choice of 2 different ops:

A Patella graft
or
A Hamstring graft

Any of you guys had experience of either of these operations, how are the results, any complications, have you been able to return to sport, how long before you could walk and do basic activities?

bit late, i know. but i had mine done with Hamstring graft. and the, then, new keyhole operation.

all in all it was fine. bit of a shock when they make you walk, immediately, after you come round. but i had no problems. mind you, learning to sleep on your back without moving, takes some doing.
as for how well it works? well.... OK but its not up to doing any sport, again. i still have problems kneeling. my knee swells up if i kick a football. but, though the pain is reduced, the main thing is stability. i cant remember my knee giving way, since the operation.

I had my ACL reconstructed from a hamstring graft. I wasn't given the choice!

I had the operation at 3pm, I came round approx 5:30pm. I had a night being monitored (temperature, feeling in toes, etc). During which time I was hooked up to a morphine drip. I was told that I could press the button for a hit every 5 mins. However, I hate the thought of taking any type of drug, so flatly refused. Had a bit of a restless night, due to a little uncomfortable pain (more throbbing than stabbing pain). The next morning, I made a deal with the nurse that if I took one pain killer tablet, I could go home that day.

I was on crutches for a few weeks after, but was very quickly able to put 90% weight on it. As mentioned above, the worst thing is trying to sleep in a strange position. I found lying on my back, with a wrapped up towel under my knee was the way forward.

I must admit I havent gone back to playing football, as this was my second serious knee injury, but I can walk, run, etc with no pain, or locking.

Just make sure you do all the excercises the physio tells you.

Good luck mate, you'll be right as rain in no time

Thanks for the replies. I still haven't had the operation yet as we are waiting for the swelling to go down (7 weeks later and it is still swelling). My physio has advised me that the keyhole hamstring op is the way forward so that is what i'll request when I see my consultant next week.

Back