Access my PC away from home

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. When i did networking in my MCP course, the guy mentioned something about using ip addressing to print work away from home on my home pc in real time. I was just wondering, that if configured correctly, could i access my hard drive away from home i.e. uni?

If not could anyone point me in the direction of printing away from home?

Cheers

I use PCANYWHERE...you can do anything from a remote computer once its set up

So i have to use a program to set up the ftp. i got cyd ftp client to access my files that are on my uni account. Would i need the same software at both ends to access my home comp??

no other simple ftp addresses or ip addresses to get the same effect?

If your setting it up as an FTP you would only need an ftp proggy to log into your files, and a ftp server to run on the system where the files are stored..

seems like i have to do too much just to have access to files on my pc. i may have to give it a miss. Its just for those days i 4get my work at home and i need it at uni. i can use cyd ftp client to ftp into the unix server at ni and have a gui interface of my documents with drag and drop transfer. wish i could have had the same thing for home pc as i can leave it on as i have a bb connection.

Spectre did give the easiest.. solution to grabbing files from home remotely

Install Serv-U 5.1 (or later) on your home PC and thats it, you can access it from anywhere by typing the URL "ftp://accountname:p[email protected]" in internet explorer (replace the values ofcourse)

and thats assumming you know Allow the right port and IPs through a Firewall or Forward Ports through a Router if you are using any

If you want to Control your computer remotely as if you was actually there, use TightVNC, easiest simplest www.tightvnc.com .. then you could either use another client or a browser to see your desktop remotely.

Back