A question about trolley jacks.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a trolley jack as those things that come supplied with cars are a pain in the arse (except in an emergency ofcourse).

I see they come with slightly different specs. I'm after a 2 tonne jack as it is only needed for some DIY on an Vauxhall Astra.

Should I opt for the jack with the highest lift and what's the minimum lift height I would need?

I'm looking to buy a trolley jack as those things that come supplied with cars are a pain in the arse (except in an emergency ofcourse).

I see they come with slightly different specs. I'm after a 2 tonne jack as it is only needed for some DIY on an Vauxhall Astra.

Should I opt for the jack with the highest lift and what's the minimum lift height I would need?

I bought one for cheep ones out of Aldi a couple of years ago have used it loads of times its great for small jobs also got the axle stands so I jack the car then drop it to the stand taking the pressure of the jack. Something like that would do you.

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 17th January 2008

I bought one for cheep ones out of Aldi a couple of years ago have used it loads of times its great for small jobs also got the axle stands so I jack the car then drop it to the stand taking the pressure of the jack. Something like that would do you.

ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 17th January 2008

Yep axle stands are a must in my view. Never trust the trolley jack alone if your under the car.

I agree with Dogtoffee , as i too have a trolley jack 2 ton and a set of axel stands.
I would never recommend working on a car with a jack alone.
I also use a set of ramps which i bought off a car boot sale about 15 years ago.
They were hand fabricated and better made than anything you could buy.
I have had Transit vans up on them, so plenty strong enough,lol

Wow, only 9 bucks!

I've already got a set of Halfords axel stands. :)

If only I had a time machine, I could travel back to January 2008 and grab myself a cheapo jack ;)

Halfords have a 2 Tonne jack for £26 just now, so I'll probably go for that one.

However, my initial querie remains unanswered.

What is the minimum lift height I should be looking for in a trolley jack?

Halfords have a 2 Tonne jack for £26 just now, so I'll probably go for that one.

However, my initial querie remains unanswered.

What is the minimum lift height I should be looking for in a trolley jack?
the 1 ton and 2 ton jacks have about the same lift
about 1ft
enough to change a wheel or enough to put axle stands under the car

Back