7 Dead including Four Children in Horrific Day of Murders in Ireland

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gardaí appeal for public's help in Limerick stabbings probe

Gardaí are appealing to the public for help in their investigation into the murders of four people including a toddler and a baby girl in Newcastle West in Co Limerick earlier today.

Shortly before 2pm this afternoon, Gardaí found two women, a three-and-a-half-year-old boy and a three-month-old baby girl dead in a house in the Hazelgrove estate in the town.

The two women, aged in their early 20s, were found in a downstairs room, while the boy and girl were found in an upstairs room in the house.

Gardaí have confirmed this evening that all four "died a violent death".

A 31-year old man was later arrested in Kilkee in Co Clare on suspicion of committing all four murders.

He is being held at Henry Street Garda Station in Limerick City under Section Four of the Criminal Justice Act.

Chief Superintendent David Sheahan said it is "unreal" for anything like this to happen in Newcastle West.

Read more: Gardaí appeal for public's help in Limerick stabbings probe | BreakingNews.ie

Father killed daughters and committed suicide

A father-of-two died in a horrific fireball today after strangling his daughters in the family home.

Unemployed John Butler, aged 43, was killed after dousing his car in petrol and driving it at high speed into a ditch.

The triple death murder-suicide near Ballycotton on the south coast of Ireland left the fishing village numb with sadness.

Detectives believe the former steel worker and builder strangled Zoe, aged seven, and Ella, aged two, in the living room of their home after wife Oonagh left for work in Cork city this morning.

Neighbours and teachers in the local school Scoil Realt na Mara raised concerns with local gardaí called to deal with the crash after Ella failed to turn up at school.

“It was a fireball,” a senior investigator said.

“The car went on fire immediately on impact, in a ditch.”

Within about 10 minutes of gardaí arriving on the scene of the burning car accident officers discovered the little girls dead in the family home.

The crash happened about two miles from the house on a straight stretch of a road known locally as the bog road between Ballycotton and Shanagarry.

Derry Keogh, principal at Scoil Realt na Mara, issued a statement on behalf of the board of management, staff and pupils expressing their deep shock and sadness.

“We learned this morning of the death of one of our pupils and other family members,” Mr Keogh said.

“This is a terrible tragedy for the family, the school and our community. We are deeply saddened by these events.

“Our sympathy and thoughts are with the family and friends at this terrible time.”

Mr Butler’s wife was from the well-known O’Riordain family which have been heavily involved in fishing out of Ballycotton for decades.

The father-of-two was originally from Cobh and worked for years in the Irish Steel Plant in the area up until it closed in 2001. He moved to Ballycotton after marrying about 10 years ago.

People who knew the family said there were no outward signs of ill health. He was not in the care of social services.

John Mulvihill, a Labour councillor in Cobh and a former football coach, trained Mr Butler as young GAA player.

“That I knew anyway, he was a very competitive sportsman but a very unassuming guy,” Mr Mulvihill said.

“A very quiet guy, a tough footballer on the pitch but like a child off it - my heart goes out to his family.”

Scoil Realt na Mara remained open during the day and will continue to stay open over the coming days to support parents and offer them advice and guidance.

The school requested the support of the National Education Psychological Service and has also put in place a critical incident management plan.

Mr Keogh said the school’s six teachers were focused on the 98 pupils at the school and helping them cope with the loss of a young friend and a younger sibling.

“We will help the children to the best of our ability,” the principal said.

“To allow the staff to focus on the children we appeal for privacy and will make no further comment at this time.”

Michael Hegarty, local Fine Gael councillor, knew the family and many of their relatives.

“It’s a sense of numbness and disbelief that this tragedy has befallen the area,” Mr Hegarty said.

“A dark cloud has descended the whole of Ballycotton and surrounding area.

“Our prayers are with the families and all the community at this stage. It’s a very, very difficult time.”

Read more: Father killed daughters and committed suicide | BreakingNews.ie

god rest them all, the poor little children :(

The 1st one we may find out WHY...if he is guilty I hope he gets killed in prison, someone will probably try.

The 2nd story we may never know the reason WHY...but it does seem the fekked up tosser took his own life...the cowardly way out.

Needless wasted lives...why don't these cnuts just kill themselves if life has gotten too much for them...WHY kill people (especially kids) who have their whole life ahead of them...selfish bassa.

May they rest in peace.

sad sad day and as you say jaffa why the fook dont they just do themselves in

The 1st one we may find out WHY...if he is guilty I hope he gets killed in prison, someone will probably try.

The 2nd story we may never know the reason WHY...but it does seem the fekked up tosser took his own life...the cowardly way out.

Needless wasted lives...why don't these cnuts just kill themselves if life has gotten too much for them...WHY kill people (especially kids) who have their whole life ahead of them...selfish bassa.

May they rest in peace.

As much as I agree with what you say Jaffa there is no way suicide can be a cowards way out you must have to be really down and strong minded at the time to take your own life.
I just feel for those who have to suffer before they carry it out or when they do it by using somebody else to commit the deed like jumping in front of a vehicle causing the driver untold trauma that they then have to try and live with.

I hope they have caught the barstard who commit the first killing and he gets punished accordingly, but again probably have diminished responsibilities and be in secure unit well looked after for his punishment.

May they all rest in peace.

As much as I agree with what you say Jaffa there is no way suicide can be a cowards way out you must have to be really down and strong minded at the time to take your own life.

Sorry, but got to disagree with you. I have no doubt it is a difficult thing to do and most people consider it a last resort. But it is a way out without facing your problems and leaving a mess behind for other people to deal with.

yes suicide does leave a mess for those that are left behind to deal with, but you also have to feel sorry for the person that committed suicide, as they must have been under unbearable mental pressure to do it :(

there has been a man arrested for the four stabbing deaths in limerick. as for the poor mother in the other case, i think at this stage she probably wishes that her husband had killed her too :(

Back