6 Shocking Secrets of the 1st Year of Marriage

skinz

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
6 Shocking Secrets of the 1st Year of Marriage

Fit to Post: Yahoo! India News » Blog Archive 6 Shocking Secrets of the 1st Year of Marriage «

Many dear friends of mine are just about to tie the knot this year. For all of them and for all of you going-to-be-married in the near future, here’s something you gotta know. Early married life is not as rosy as you think, especially the first year.

Most of you who are married will tell someone who is just dating, “Aaah, this is just the beginning. Marriage changes everything.” But I have always wondered how. Maybe when I AM married, I will be able to discover that in detail. Sure now it’s just the lovey-dovey phone calls, and the 5-10 year plans, the little argument and fights and the making up. But how much of this really changes after one says ‘I do’?

This Shine story has sort of opened my eyes to what I can expect after marriage. Now, I have sorted them out as pointers that best fit an Indian ‘situation’. For all those of you who are on the verge of saying your vows, this one’s dedicated to you:

1. THE SHOCK: You’ll gain a little love weight.
Your grandma and nosey aunt were not wrong. People DO gain weight after being married. And when you do, don’t freak, accept it. (And yes, hit the gym asap) And however much you want to impress hubby/wife with your cooking skills, masaledar khana should not be an everyday affair.

2. THE SHOCK: Your B-list buddies will go missing.
Now, it is one thing for you to forget some of your friends after you’re married. But you will also notice that some of your friends will mysteriously vanish too. Of course they are being sweet and want to give you your space; but now that you are married, some single pals may just feel a little awkward. Sorry, you really can’t do anything about it. What you need to do it, CALL them. Your closest friends will stick around no matter what, but they need to know that you want them as badly too. Make plans, enjoy solo with them. That’s the trick.

3. THE SHOCK: Your sex life will switch off—sometimes.
Ahem. Obviously, you will not want to do it ALL the time. The honeymoon is over, the exotic locales, the free time, the exotic food, the clean sheets; that time is over and it is possible that one night you may want to watch your favourite late night serial, or you partner might want to finish the watching the exciting cricket match. So what do you do? Don’t do anything. It is okay for couples to not want to have sex. Better still, cuddle up and sleep off. Research proves couples who are close have better sex lives over a period of time.

4. THE SHOCK: You won’t unpack your china for six months.
Aaaaah. A wonderful thing about weddings. Gifts. Loads and loads of gift. And being the perfect couple that you are, you will want to unpack all of those, and arrange it (maybe colour coordinated) in your brand new showcase. But alas, getting back to work, and the beginning of the humdrum of life, and months later, you find those boxes still lying in your living room. So, what do you do? Assign time for it. Make it your couple-y thing-to-do. And don’t expect to get everything done in one day. Take your time, and in time, it will all get done.

5. THE SHOCK: You won’t want to spend every moment with your new husband/wife.
Yes, your better half may be your best friend too. But at some point in time, he won’t be your only friend. Keep maintaining your individual friendships. It’s always a good idea to have girls-night-out and boys-night-out so that you can have time for yourself too.

6. THE SHOCK: You’ll go to bed mad, even though you vowed not to—ever.
Many a time during your relationship you both may have vowed that you will never go to sleep without solving an argument. But let’s face it; sometimes, it may not happen the way we think. And guess what, that’s okay. Sometimes, forcing to resolve an issue may cause it to become more serious. So, relax, go to sleep; and who knows, tomorrow morning, with a fresh start, you can make up.

Back