500s dreamup problem ?

Lost75

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi looking for some help my box was working fine but then got stuck at loading screen (eagle image). So tried to flash it with dreamup but getting so far and it stops after 20secs of uploading new image

13:32:27 box type: DM500
13:32:36 Ping result: OK, box is alive and speaking to us ;-)
13:32:48 Uploading file to box...
13:33:09 ERROR , upload aborted!

i have tried another pc but still no luck any other ideas ? do you think jtaging would fix it ?

I've had that a few times mate. I don't think I did anything special to fix it. I'm sure I just kept trying and it finally worked. I think I had to reset the PC a few times.

I only got that error when I was using only a null-modem cable on it's own, it never happened when I was using both serial and network.

Always try to use the network too, it'll upload the image in seconds rather than 10 minutes like the serial only method takes.

I experienced this error message the other night aswell while using DreamUp. I solved it by using a slightly older version of DreamUP.

Give it a try!

p.s version that worked for me was 1.3.2.1

I experienced this error message the other night aswell while using DreamUp. I solved it by using a slightly older version of DreamUP.

Give it a try!

p.s version that worked for me was 1.3.2.1

Yup, good advice.

Some versions of DreamUp just don't play ball with some hardware, it's always worth your while trying a different revision.

Also try a different PSU if a different version of dreamup doesnt work, some PSU's provide insufficient voltage and can cause flashing issues.

thanks for the info guys but nothing worked

Tried flashing about 40 times no luck
used the psu from original 500c
used loads of different dream ups
Ethernet doesn't work

Any more ideas ?

is your null modem cable definitely good ? Have you tested the cable on another reciever.

JTAG will restore your bootloader this is normally only needed if it has been wiped out by the Gemini timebomb....I dont think it's the issue in your case.

Could also open the case and reseat the header cable from the serial port to to the mainboard incase it's loose or not properly connected.

is your null modem cable definitely good ? Have you tested the cable on another reciever.

JTAG will restore your bootloader this is normally only needed if it has been wiped out by the Gemini timebomb....I dont think it's the issue in your case.

Could also open the case and reseat the header cable from the serial port to to the mainboard incase it's loose or not properly connected.

Just tested null modem cable works fine with 500c

just opened up case reset the cable to mainboard and tried to flash and now when am in dreamup it says turn on the box nothing happens . Cable problem inside ? can you buy new ones anywhere ?

Swap the cable header cable from the woeking 500C you have and try flashing agian, if flash is succesful your box will at least be up and working..

This will establish if it is the cable or maybe a dry joint on the board to the pin header etc.

If it still doesnt work with a known working header cable, looks like you have a board fault, dry joint faulty cap etc...

Also is the header cable, replaced the same way it was when you took it off to reseat it ? You havent put it on back to front by mistake have you ? Sometimes there the header is bigegr than the number of pins on board, and you have to make sure you align the header correctly...

Back