4001 problems??

TBC

Inactive User
Reaction score
i finally agreed to have a look at a few friends 4001's today that for one reason or another seem to be stuck on tune or virgin loading blah blah. (i really hate these boxes now lmao)

there seem to be an array of various problems with them.

the first is the symbol rate says 6.887 but it isn't set properly - i think michael1 mentioned this a time back. nice and easy fix, just reset it regardless of what it says in eng menu.

another;

failing to update from 3.3 to 3.5 pull jumper box sets its own netid when in eng menu and signal seems ok ish. it isn't that is why it is failig to take the update but it does know there is one available so its sits in tune forever and to get back intot eng menu you got to erase the update flag by pulling red jumper.... a less simple fix - change all the stuck in tune caps ect and leave in stream for as long as it takes to update!!

the real sneaky one;

virgin loading screen forever!!!!
this is quite possibly corrupted nvram that has cuased the box to loose the netid. no big deal is it - unless of course the box can't set its own netid????
i tested one of these today, 3.5l firmware pull jumper as peeps do to change pin ect the reboot to eng menu - no signal fook all infact and no netid setting automatically!!!!!! without the netid the box will not be able to look for a signal.
the only way i could get the netid on the box was with a card(netid setter)
as soon as the netid was on the box it got good locks and booted fine..
i connected libby to see if oi could force the netid (didn't work any more , it used to lol), i tried the funcard it seemed to work but the box booted to tune so i couldn't tell if it was actually done. my solution to this was to insert the netid funcard, connect libby, then power up with cable feed in. this stopped the boot to tune after the netid had been set. then i disconnected and rebooted to eng menu. netid was set and all signals were present.
it is beginnning to look like the 3.5l won't autoset netid (seems to now be a cc function call, could be to target hacking of this POPULAR box lmao), try it yourselves and post what happens!!

just notes from a few fixes i did today, have a go at these and with any luck it may sort a few of your 4001 problems for you..

TBC

Who's been a busy boy then? :) :Laugh:

Thanx for the "crash course" mate i'm sure it will help some in pure.

Clive.

i just sort of found a cheesy no update mod for a 4001 lol..

if the nvram is cleared by removing the jumper on a 3.3L box you can do a quick start by holding channel down button. because the box needs to set the netid it jumps past the update flag in stream. and starts up (takes a while) lol.
it then places the update flag in nvram so when the box is next started (even with a quick start) it wants to do an update.. - but this is on the second start.
i have found to take advantage of this as a no update mod do the following (i was only messing about with the box and i realise it is a bit heath robinson before anyone starts lol.

First thing to do is make very sure your box has 3.3L firmware (important) - i gather there are a few that refuse at the moment to update for whatever reason!!

ok remove the jumper and put to one side.
make a netid funcard or atmega with your netid and more importantly your pin number. also make you autoroll card for viewing of course.
insert the netid card into the slot (this is to make sure that when the box boots up you have your pin set) cos we don't have the jumper on at all!!
now fast boot the box (holding channel down button in)
the box should eventually start on channel 400. when it does remove the pin set card and replace with the viewing card. a 2 slot box is good for this cos you can keep the card in the top slot when not in use.
the nvram will have been set with the update flag of course.
however since the jumper is off if the box is powered down it will erase the update flag. every time you start the box insert the pin set card and fast boot.
i actually soldered a bridge on the front panel across the channel down button so it can only fast boot (doesn't interfere with remote function at all)
Remember do not refit the jumper until you decide you want your box to update the 3.5 or higher!!!!

so there you have it the cheesiest 4001 3.3L no update mod ever and best thing is you keep your movie channels and havn't changed the hardware so you can update normally should the need arise. personlly if i was gonna do this i would put a fixed switch across the channel down button to make sure it never started on anormal boot unless the switch was turned off from inside the box!!

TBC

Last edited:
if a 4001 has already took the update from virgil in the past, does that mean that the method above wont work

you MUST already be on 3.3L not updated to virgin .. DO NOT PULL THE JUMPER ON ANY 4001 THAT HAS UPDATED TO 3.5L VIRGIN PLATFORM OR IT WILL CAUSE YOU PROBLEMS!!!!

the above method is much better suited to those boxes that will not tak the update at all - and boot to tune and no access to eng menu unless jumper is pulled.. it was just such a box i tested this on and its still running no problemo.

tbc

Last edited:
i have now tried the above on a couple of 4001s and all i get is stuck in tune. the only method i have found for getting these up and running, is the way i have explained in some of my previous posts within other threads. it was worth a try though to see if i could get the movies back. personally, i think your better off getting 4010s or 2100s. but i will keep trying other peoples methods, as one might get the movies back on eventually. by the way i am in a pure area, if that makes any difference, as the method above could work for other areas

i have now tried the above on a couple of 4001s and all i get is stuck in tune. the only method i have found for getting these up and running, is the way i have explained in some of my previous posts within other threads. it was worth a try though to see if i could get the movies back. personally, i think your better off getting 4010s or 2100s. but i will keep trying other peoples methods, as one might get the movies back on eventually. by the way i am in a pure area, if that makes any difference, as the method above could work for other areas

how you gonna get a stuck in tune doing the above with a box on 3.3L firmware???? at worst you would get a channel 0 response..

is your firmware ntl 3.3L did you remove and leave the jumper of the box. this is more what i would expect from 3.5L firmware not 3.3L.
if you are on 3.5L and you stuck in tune..

remove the jumper and replace, make a netid funcard with your netid.
connect the box to libby to supress the full boot. insrt funcard power up the box with libby connected (4k config) leave it for 2 mnutes. power down remove rs232 connection from libby - power up the box straight into eng menu without feed. reset all your settings sym rate ect ect. ensure you have a good signal on both tuners.. now power down connect feed ect and fast boot the box. if you box has no faults it should boot up.. try that

tbc

how you gonna get a stuck in tune doing the above with a box on 3.3L firmware???? at worst you would get a channel 0 response..

is your firmware ntl 3.3L did you remove and leave the jumper of the box. this is more what i would expect from 3.5L firmware not 3.3L.
if you are on 3.5L and you stuck in tune..

remove the jumper and replace, make a netid funcard with your netid.
connect the box to libby to supress the full boot. insrt funcard power up the box with libby connected (4k config) leave it for 2 mnutes. power down remove rs232 connection from libby - power up the box straight into eng menu without feed. reset all your settings sym rate ect ect. ensure you have a good signal on both tuners.. now power down connect feed ect and fast boot the box. if you box has no faults it should boot up.. try that

tbc

have you tried removeing or disconnecting the auto netid tuner from the box yet m8, {then flashing the nvram with a small netid/freq/default frq/pin/ s19 file or macro

i have a feeling the channel map data is coming down the secondary tuner tbh, i could test this tommorrow!. i think they may have messed about with the netid setting as a security enhancement for the 3.5 firmware. it the box has a current netid it seems to change when transported to a different location. but if the nvram is erased (i.e to reset pin) then it looks more and more like the box has to be cc hit to reset netid becuase the downstream channel ect swicth to a default and stay there (this stops it getting a lock to set the netid) previously these rotated through the various freq's ect until they got a lock. no bug problem becuase the fucard sim's the cc netid hit. but an interesting series of events unfolding.. first time i ever saw a 4001 fliping between 6.887 and 6.952 symbol rates when it didn't have a downstream lock.. would like to see if a 4001 could be got working properly in excw on 3.5l now!

tbc

on a side note with all this macro business ect it is no big surprise that if the 4001 nvram is erased the box just sits there on virgin screen all day long!! kinda makes you think they are reading the fookn posts lol

i have a feeling the channel map data is coming down the secondary tuner tbh, i could test this tommorrow!. i think they may have messed about with the netid setting as a security enhancement for the 3.5 firmware. it the box has a current netid it seems to change when transported to a different location. but if the nvram is erased (i.e to reset pin) then it looks more and more like the box has to be cc hit to reset netid becuase the downstream channel ect swicth to a default and stay there (this stops it getting a lock to set the netid) previously these rotated through the various freq's ect until they got a lock. no bug problem becuase the fucard sim's the cc netid hit. but an interesting series of events unfolding.. first time i ever saw a 4001 fliping between 6.887 and 6.952 symbol rates when it didn't have a downstream lock.. would like to see if a 4001 could be got working properly in excw on 3.5l now!

tbc

on a side note with all this macro business ect it is no big surprise that if the 4001 nvram is erased the box just sits there on virgin screen all day long!! kinda makes you think they are reading the fookn posts lol

well if the channel map data loads like a 1000 model, {surely disconnecting the auto tuner should sort it m8}----flash the nvram with the 4001 macro then run your small netid freq macro

might even work on some stuck on tune boxs that are hard to fix----what do you think ???????????

no need to run a macro you can set netid with a funcard! freq should scan ok and if the box comes from the area your in then it should start its first scan at the correct freq or a close approximation.

i can test this on 3.5 tommorrow and post back the answers

Back