3d mkv quality?

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys been playing about with 3d mkv files and they are pretty good and work ok. But am i right in thinking that they are lesser quality than say a 3d bluray played from a dedicated 3d bluray player? Ive been streaming them via pc using PS3 MEDIA SERVER. And ive also used the connect share feature of my tv which will play them straight from hdd or pen drive. Butive had varying results.

Is there anyway to improve on it? Should i be getting the full iso fils that are say 47gb or so? Or am i never going to see the quality that i would playing a 3d bluray from my 3d bluray player?

If you get the full 47 gig one then you will have full quality but tbh get the 1080 rips and you can't go far wrong m8 :)

I've found the 10GB rip to be pretty good. The only way of really telling is to download two copies of the same movie and seeing if you can see any difference

Thanks for the replys. I think what im wondering is how does playback quality differ if the source is played from a 3d bluray player against say a 3d mkv or iso played from an external hdd plugged straight in to my tv. Surely the bluray player will handle most of the image processing? Or does the tv do the most of it?

I think im going to go buy a 3d bluray today and see if there is any noticable difference, i watched avatar from a 3d mkv off an external hdd plugged straight into my tv's usb port and i have to say it was pretty amazing quality. I think that was a 1080p half sbs mkv.

have you got an nzb for avatar in 3D m8? ive been looking to buy it on blueray but it sayd that a 3D versions is not yet released?

ive only seen a few bits of the film, but looks like something id like, but also looks like something that would be much better in 3D

there you go )

Attachments

• Avatar 3D Side by Side (Half SBS).nzb
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • Avatar.2010.3DBluRay.720p.Colorcode.DTS.x264-QyKaRio.nzb
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the replys. I think what im wondering is how does playback quality differ if the source is played from a 3d bluray player against say a 3d mkv or iso played from an external hdd plugged straight in to my tv. Surely the bluray player will handle most of the image processing? Or does the tv do the most of it?

I think im going to go buy a 3d bluray today and see if there is any noticable difference, i watched avatar from a 3d mkv off an external hdd plugged straight into my tv's usb port and i have to say it was pretty amazing quality. I think that was a 1080p half sbs mkv.

In theory your playback device will not make much difference. The codec defines how the data is encoded and then the bitrate determines how much data there is. So a untouched BD rip running at 50GB or 60GB should look as good as a BD original even on a large screen.

Some devices / programs do apply their algorithms on top to try and improve quality but to be honest, half the time they make it worse.

Back