Windows 8 - Metro User Interface (Get Windows 7/XP Style Start Menus)

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've replied a few times to threads on here were people have raised issues over the fact they don't like the initial metro interface thats presented and the lack of start menu button.

I've used this on a few Windows 8 workstations and it's pretty good.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

It can also be installed as part of the package downloads if you use Ninite.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I'm about to built my own pc I'm also thinking about getting windows 8, but I would really like to know if it's worth the purchase. Is it recommendable? In comparison to windows 7, is it better? or would you still recommend 7 rather than 8?

As I'm about to built my own pc I'm also thinking about getting windows 8, but I would really like to know if it's worth the purchase. Is it recommendable? In comparison to windows 7, is it better? or would you still recommend 7 rather than 8?

Depends whether you're using a touch screen display. If not, Win 7 is very much cheaper (read around a bit).
There are minor differences, but Win 8 is really just Win 7, adapted for touch screens.
If you had Win 8 preloaded, fine, but if not, suggest go for Win 7. You can always upgrade, if you feel the need.

I would add that their are a lot of things that will not work with windows 8 due to some specific changes in the kernal. I would recommend you stay with win 7.

I find the look of windows 7 very dated now I'm so used to win 8. Performance isn't much different though.

Old thread I know, but thank you for posting this. Makes Win8 useable!!! :Cheers:

There are quite a few places you can get the start button..
Iobit do one for free and it's perfect.just install and choose how you want it to look..
You get the start button back plus it boots to desktop instead of metro.

Back