Wiring satellite in bedrooms

Gooner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ok peeps the time has come for me wire my house up. I've been reading a lot and found GAVs and Ballys thread quite useful.

Just to set the scene, I am kind of a novice (living room set up and wiring) but know enough to learn further. If you get what I mean :)

At the moment, the house has a sky dish with quattro lnb of which 2 feeds are going to the living room to a sky+ box.
Essentially I plan on having a separate satellite connection in each of the 4 bedrooms upstairs and a feed to the sky+ the living room. I will need a diff sat box in each room.

Also I want to wire a cat6 connection through to each room. But the first telephone socket in the house is downstairs in the living room. Hence my router is stuck there.

So how am I planning on doing this
the dish is mounted on one of the bedroom walls which happens to have a good cabinet.

• So I plan to run 4 connections from the dish and from the antenna to this cabinet.
  • Split the feed using a Triax multiswitch.
  • then use the loft to run two sat connection and a terrestrial to each bedroom - luckily all bedrooms have fitted wardrobes with TV mount/area
  • For living room, two sat leads are already running from the dish. I will just point this to the multiswitch.

For the network cable:

• Run one lead from the router to the bedroom cabinet with the multiswitch - some of it may have to run outside the house - so will get a shielded reel.
  • split this into multiple connections using a switch
  • and then run a cat 6 to each room using the same cable truncing used for the satellite connections

So in total I will need following equipment

• multiswtich to split the sat
  • network switch to split internet
  • cat6 reel
  • coax cable
  • crimping tools
  • necessary faceplate
  • and off course a level head lol

Now the questions
Am I on the right track?
I would want an hd satellite box in room, so will the multiswitch provide good enough signal?
Is there a heat issue with these switches?
where shall I get the equipment from, if there are any recommendations - i was thinking ebuyer and kenables

thanks for the help already :)

Re: Wiring sattelite in bedrooms

I actually dont know the difference..

It has 4 slots at the bottom of which two are currently being used.
Is this quad or quattro?

thanks

You can move the telephone socket. Only two wires are being used.

Consider running more cat6 cables to rooms. The "hardest" thing is running wires. Better to have too much than wish yo had run it in the first place.

Its a sky one - so it will be quad.
yea I may run more cat6s through. The good thing is that its all going through the loft and then behind built in cupboards. in terms of the face plates on the wall, each room has a desk right next to the cabinets...
so wont need to pull the walls out!!!

What is the difference between quad and quatro lnb?

I am thinking about ordering the 5 in 12 out Triax switch from here Multiswitch. Multiswitches to be used with a quatro LNB. Satellite Superstore UK. Big Discounts.

However, I am getting very confused with the coax cable. I need about 30m max - will get a 50 meter roll..
Does anyone have any recommendations of which ones?

cheers. cant wait to get started on this but just want ensure i think this out

True quattro lnbs have four seperate outputs permanently
1 vert lo band
1 horiz lo band
1 vert hi band
1 horiz hi band

Quad lnbs have 4 seperate outputs each of which can be set to any of the above at any time by 22khz tones and switching voltages.

In terms of your network, I bought some of these and I am using them as the termination points in my office (with a switch) Cat5e 4000 Series Modular Outlets (need the spacer plate too). This way you won't need to crimp/terminate cables so they are just hanging loose, you can terminate into a socket (just need a punchdown tool - don't buy it from cable monkey as you can get a cheap one for £3) and just patch straight to the switch.

You can get them in Cat6 also, just I already had a reel of Cat5e.

I will drop the diagram a little later (no visio) to show you what I mean.

Last edited:

Here you go

Cat5e.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Exos
I'm a little confused about the power line adaptors. How are you using them?

They are to be removed tbh mate, I just left them in because that's what I'm using currently.

Started running my Cat5e in today, god damn what a chore, ended up having to chase walls out, and where I thought the position into the ceiling to go into the office was, was actually into the chimney! lol

Last edited:

oh no.. that sounds like fun. Chimneys are indeed fun to work with.

on a second note guys, any recommendations for the coax cable. This sat world is a minefield!

thanks mate
I am going to order the multiswitch, WF100 50m reel, 100m Cat 6 reel and the connectors this week.
Exciting times ahead :)

Please be careful with chimneys, this is a popular place to find asbestos!

Also be careful with LAV's and PLAST the old shit you find between joists before they made plasterboard, this is another lethal substance!

Mick

Sorry I always do this but why are you running one cat5/6 ?

The stuff is so cheap (especially cat5e) - having redundancy at the very least, you can do almost anything with cat5/6 cables, they have made AV in such a way that balun's can compensate for anything you forget to run later.

Just for what its worth its always good to run plenty of cat cable.

Mick

Sorry I always do this but why are you running one cat5/6 ?

The stuff is so cheap (especially cat5e) - having redundancy at the very least, you can do almost anything with cat5/6 cables, they have made AV in such a way that balun's can compensate for anything you forget to run later.

Just for what its worth its always good to run plenty of cat cable.

Mick

Assuming that question was to me on my diagram, I'm not or rather I haven't it's double points in each room, I just left 1 in as originally it was my intention, but made sense just to do a few runs.

The plaster dust is a pain in the proverbials, really fine especially when chasing out the walls, doesn't help that I have asthma, but i have PPE from work ;)

As with Mick, two is a minimum per room. I'd actually say go for 4 split between two different areas of the room.

Are you sure the 50m is enough?

@ Exos no mate it was not all aimed at you, the running more cables was aimed for the OP :)

I read your chimney bit and thought I would make everyone aware of the high risk of asbestos being in that area (cupboards too).

I am as you say lol a little ANAL when it comes to running cat5/6 cables, people do not realise how important data cables can be and at the same time how universal they are.

Mick

Back