VM Support

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been experiencing broadband dropouts over the last 2 days. Zgemma has been reporting network disconnected/ connected back and forth. The lights on my hub would start changing.
The dropouts last around 10 minutes and after the 4th one of the day half an hour ago I decided to give them a call.

The first call was entirely automated and never gave me the opportunity to speak to a human. I was informed my broadband was being tested and that things may go off. Their result was that I had cables disconnected or the router needed turning on at the wall???
There was no problem with my router at that moment and was working fine. The automated message told me to connect the router and if I was still experiencing problems to call straight back.

I called straight back and spoke to a guy in India. He said he was going to run some tests. I told him it was pointless as my router was again working fine but had an intermittent fault. He said ok so instead I want you to reset the router using a pin. I tried to get through to him that it wouldn't accomplish anything as apart from the wireless the router was working for the time being.

I think he picked up on my tone of voice and agreed to have a new hub sent out for Tuesday. I understand that they frequently deal with customers with zero knowledge but I wish they could try and assess a person rather than follow the script so religiously. The first call shouldn't be completely automated either, why have they always insisted on their customers having to jump through hoops to get any satisfaction?
Rant over, blood pressure returning to a simmer ;)

i also called them yesterday as i have a flashing red phone symbol the router, basically got put on hold and told me not to worry about it.....

It's terrible today. I've just removed the board from the case and see if it's any better (possible thermal issue). If not I'll be "going dark" till hopefully my new router arrives tomorrow.

Definitely a thermal fault. Case has been off for 1.5 hours, I've downloaded 37.5Gb of tv as a test and it's been solid. Apart from the speed that is, which appears to be less than a third of my vivid 350 package.
Speedtest clocked 93.22 down with the upload speed appearing normal. Newsgroup download speed was 10.2mbps.

At least I'm back up and running and will see if I can pinpoint the fault after my new router is here :)

What modem/router have you got?
I was told i would need a SH3 when i went for the vivid 150...i was told my old hub 2 was no good for those speeds...which it wasnt...
Im now back on vuvid 100 and still get speeds of 112mb so something is wrong @chooky

SH3 mate. I should be back to normal speed tomorrow. Just going to fault find then for the hell of it

I feel your pain @chookey...

My VM has been solid for a while now so I think it might be something to do with them fiddling on with their network. One call, to some Indian lady, highlighted that there "was a problem" but that magically went away.

I now believe that they have figured out it's cheaper for them to do maintenance and upgrades without telling people and pass it off as faulty modems.

It ran for 4 hours without playing up but has started again. Just had it turned off for an hour so hopefully will get a little internet time.

That might be a smidgeon low, I read somewhere that temperature affects the cabinets a lot more now. Not sure how true that is but you have to start somewhere.

Does anybody check for local issues posted or is it a waste of time?,3 days ago i ran a speed test on my et10000 and it was crap,rebooted box still crap so decided to power off router now back to a much better speed and i have the white router.

Fair bit of heat coming from the cpu area. I'll have a play with the hot air station and freezer spray tomorrow :)

I've always thought it's been a bit flakier but then again it has went up to 350Mb or thereabouts. As a lot here will reminisce about, I remember disconnecting the modem (internal, this was 1996 after all) to try to get a better connection :).

Canny speed over copper WAN that. I wonder how much power is used doing FEC.

if I was you treat yourself to a router and put virgins into modem mode, I did this 6 months ago and hadly had any issues at all.

Not happy at all with my SH3,if I was to go down the buying my own router route is there any clear favourites I should be looking at ? Im on the Virmin 350 service TIA

@Tamarc - Depends on your budget mate, I have SH3 in modem mode with Asus RT-AU86U, not the cheapest but it runs faultlessly for me

The reason I went for the RT-AU86U is I was using the older RT-AU68U and you can connect them using AIMesh to cover a larger areas with wifi so no need to throw the old router away :)

I use a tp-link archer c9 does both 5ghz and 2.4ghz works great with virgin, and they cant see what you have connected to the router, with the virgin router they wont be able to see the names of devices you have connected to there router, I know this first hand I was ask before I changed what a VU+ was when I had a fault :( told them freesat box.

New router arrived just after 11 am and had the usual teething problems getting it to connect. Why do they tell you on the phone it doesn't need activating when it clearly does. Took the best part of an hour to get a solid white light and a stable connection.
Did a few speed tests and still only around 92 but will get better results later when I find something on newsgroups worth downloading. If it's still low then it looks like another phone battle with India

Back