The new London congestion charge

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The new London congestion charge

Big changes are planned for the London Congestion Charge in 2008. And if you live outside London and think it doesn't affect you, think again.
Local councils nationwide are studying the London proposals with great interest, as they gear up to introduce their own schemes. Pretty soon, congestion charging could be commonplace - so here, we explain the model they all may soon be following.

How is it changing?

The charge is being overhauled

In February 2008, it is proposed the London Congestion Charge will undergo its first major upheaval since being introduced back in 2003. Basically, it's changing from a plain congestion charge to an environmental charge - based on the carbon dioxide emissions of your car. London Mayor Livingstone wants to improve air quality in Central London and, rightly or wrongly, sees the car as a key tool to do this (ground-based transport, including trains and buses, accounts for 22% of London's CO2 emissions). He reckons emissions have already been reduced because of the charge. His aim is to cut them to 60% below 1990 levels by 2025.

How will it affect me?
Transport for London reckons that most people won't actually notice a change. The vast majority of drivers will still pay the £8 per day charge to drive in and out of the Congestion Charging zone. However, there are significant exceptions. Here, we summarise the different categories.

Free

Cars like the Mitsubishi I will be exempt

Great! No more congestion charge! And it's not limited to alternative fuel cars, nor hybrids (both exemptions have been scrapped). Now, it is proposed that cars which emit 120g/km of CO2 or less that will pay no charge. This means Smart ForTwo, Citroen C1, Mini Cooper D and Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI drivers, among many others, can all head into the city absolutely gratis. And, following all the concepts at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show, it seems many more besides will soon be able to. Even so, it's not totally free. The owner needs to register with Transport For London, and pay an annual £10 'administration fee'.
Free cars include... Citroen C2 1.4 HDi, Fiat Panda MultiJet, Ford Fiesta 1.4/1.6TDCi, Mitsubishi i, Peugeot 207 1.4/1.6 HDi, Renault Clio 1.5 dCi, Toyota Prius, Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi, VW Polo 1.4 TDI.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Photo_Galler...documentid=6436472&dub-gallery-photo-number=1
£8 charge
Here's where the vast majority of cars sit - the 'moderate emissions' classification, for those emitting between 121-225g/km of CO2. In addition, though, any 'low-emission' cars which don't meet EUIV emissions standards (which was mandatory from the start of 2006) will also pay the £8 charge: the old VW Lupo TDI, for example, may emit less than 120g/km of CO2, but as it's not EUIV and so is not exempt. Oh, and cars built before 2001 (when the new emissions-based taxation system was introduced) will also pay a flat £8 fee - with one exception, as we shall see...
£8 charge cars include... Alfa Romeo Spider 2.2, BMW 335i, Ford Focus 1.6, Honda Civic Type-R, Kia Picanto 1.0, Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4, Lexus RX 400h, Porsche Cayman 2.7, Skoda Fabia 1.2, Volvo V70 2.5T.

£25 charge
Ouch. This is the big change - a whopping £25 daily charge for vehicles emitting over 225g/km of CO2. And it's not just Range Rovers and Porsches: watch out if you drive a large-engined estate car or an automatic MPV. Cars over 3.0-litres and built before March 2001 will also be liable to this higher charge, ensuring many classic car drivers will also be hit. But of particular significance is that those living within the Congestion zone, who drive a higher-rate car, will no longer receive any sort of resident's discount. Every single flash car owner in Kensington and Chelsea will get clobbered, even if they're leaving town. Double ouch.
£25 charge cars include... Bentley Continental GT, Chrysler Voyager 2.4, Citroen C8 2.0 auto, Mazda RX-8, Mercedes CLK 350, Nissan X-Trail 2.5, Seat Alhambra 2.0, VW Golf R32, Volvo V70 3.2.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/Photo_Galler...documentid=6436367&dub-gallery-photo-number=1
Timetable
Remember, these are just proposals at the moment - but they seem pretty firmly thought out to us. And the timetable suggests they're not easily going to be budged, either; the 'free' rule is set to be introduced almost before you know it, on February 4, with the £25 band coming on October 6. The charges would then not be reviewed until 2010. Do they sound fair to you? What are your thoughts on TfL's proposals? You've got until October 19 to let TfL know. In the meantime, though, why not let off steam on our Message Boards - who knows, the mayor may even be reading them.

Richard Aucock

October 18 2007
MSN News

I'm glad:-

a) I don;t live in London

b) I own a 1.6 car

c) I walk to work..... :D

a I dont live in london
b I drive 3 L car
c If my councile start it Im taking the fucking number plates off and setting fire to the town hall.

time for the revolution. **** em

or to be exempt totally ... why not register your car as a 'minicab' .... average cost approx £160 per year and you dont have to pay any charges ... gr8 if you drive one of them £25 chargeable cars .......... or you can get a disabled m8 to register your car with tfl using his/her blue badge and you also fully exempt ;)

Dont want to pay it? (Or any speeding fines , parking fines etc)

Then get a car from the abroad with a EU plate, or take you car over the water, register it there then bring it back.

those congestion FREE cars look so ugly who would want to drive one?? if they were nicer maybe people would buy them. lexus have got the idea tho with their hybrids, which really aint hybrid lol.

Back