Drivers in Scotland to be fined £100 for parking on pavements from today

Oggiman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Drivers in Scotland face a fine of £100 for parking on pavements under new legislation introduced today.

Under the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, councils now have the power to issue penalty charge notices worth £100 to motorists caught parking on pavements, double parking, and parking at dropped kerbs by known crossing spots. The £100 fine reduces to £50 if paid within 14 days and exemptions are in place to allow for emergency services operations, certain deliveries and collections, and road works.

The crackdown aims to tackle the dangers that illegal parking poses to pavement users, in particular disabled people and parents with young children. Research by YouGov on behalf of Living Streets, the UK charity for "everyday walking and wheeling", found that obstructed pavements forced 87% of parents onto the road and prevented a quarter of over 65s from leaving their homes.

Read full story HERE

It's a law that is supposed to be coming in across the whole of the UK.
It will cause problems with my Local Council who have allocated parking spaces that are half on the road and half on the pavement in several estates near where I live and the local tenants have to pay for this privilege of "illegally parking" outside their own homes.

most of these fines will be thrown out if applied as said above if the council's can't paint lines then next time the road would be blocked

What about narrow residential roads and emergency vehicles.? If all pavement parking is carpet blanketed ( not just the moronic ones), will vehicles struggle to get by in a lot of areas?

most of these fines will be thrown out if applied as said above if the council's can't paint lines then next time the road would be blocke
Double yellow lines are road markings, i.e dont park on the road, so not relevant with parking on pavement even if it's only 2 wheels on the pavement and no road markings it's illegal.

P believe that most drivers that park on the pavement are doing so as not to turn the road into a chicane and dont give a thought to pedestrians

Double yellow lines are road markings, i.e dont park on the road, so not relevant with parking on pavement even if it's only 2 wheels on the pavement and no road markings it's illegal.
I know this but if I get a parking ticket in a street like that for being on the pavement I would make sure next time there is no space for anyone to get by as that would not be illegal. What side should be left clear

I know this but if I get a parking ticket in a street like that for being on the pavement I would make sure next time there is no space for anyone to get by as that would not be illegal. What side should be left clear
Causing an obstruction to the highway is an offence particularly if it restricts the thoroughfare of emergency vehicles, dustcarts, etc and can result in the vehicle being towed away and impounded. To stop this happening and the motorist being unfairly penalised, the local authority would have to make parking an offence on the road by painting double yellow lines on one or both sides of the road.

Causing an obstruction to the highway is an offence particularly if it restricts the thoroughfare of emergency vehicles, dustcarts, etc and can result in the vehicle being towed away and impounded. To stop this happening and the motorist being unfairly penalised, the local authority would have to make parking an offence on the road by painting double yellow lines on one or both sides of the road.
my point exactly

ye like not painting lines in the street to stop people parking

i would be doing nothing wrong parking on both side of that street and no law says different.

Major cities have double yellow lines on busy streets and if you come along a street like that with 2 cars parked what one is blocking the street
does it depend on the direction of travel?

Back