Talk Talk

Exos

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
and any other ISP Indian call centre that have zero intelligence..........

God these call centres frustrate me, its crib sheet hell.......

My mate has had issues with his broadband dropping the connection, I had a spare router (DGN2000) laying around and an AP, homeplugs and some other bits and pieces, so decided to set him up a little better and upgrade his 11Mbps wireless DLink Router..... I know they are fine as I just pulled them from my setup having switched to Virgin.

So gets it all setup and we think we have sorted the issue, but apparently not. He can be running fine for hours on end and he drops to a local connection (no internet) or it can do it every 30 minutes, it is completely random. At first I thought it was his DNS, because he simply couldn't browse (internal wireless/LAN connectivity was fine), so after doing the usual F/W upgrades, drivers on his laptop, replaced the ADSL filters etc, just in an attempt to rule things out i discover that while I'm logged on the to the router it drops, syncs and his address changes to a 2.x.x.x, where as previously he had a 78.x.x.x.

I reboot the router, still gets a 2.x.x.x, then eventually picks up the same 78.x.x.x address again and his connection is fine. Naturally I can see there is a routing issue here in the Talk Talk network. It isn't rocket science and it's simple to understand that if he picks up a 2 address he cannot browse. Something isn't right obviously because he shouldn't randomly be picking up two addresses when the DHCP WAN Lease is still active.

He calls Talk Talk, and passes me over to them.....

The initial call center guy was OK, understood what I was talking about but advised I would need to be passed to the Technical Team that can resolve it.....

What a bunch or moronic retarded f**kwits, they just don't listen, or more importantly want to listen.

I ask him if he can first off confirm the VPI/VCI and MUX settings, just to make sure I have then right, he ignores me.

I explain to him what's happening, and what I think it is, he's not listening, blatantly as he tries to interject with some rubbish.

First of all he tries to make out the problem is with the login credentials, I try to explain that if they were incorrect he wouldn't be getting access at all. He makes me recite them back to him and then confirms they are actually correct.....REALLY, i wouldn't have guessed.

I explain to him again what's happening.

He then says he can't see the router if he pings the address, so i explains to him that is because ICMP on the WAN port is disabled and he won't be able to. He then goes on to say ah, it's a router problem then... er no, it's deliberately disabled.

He asks me the make and model, I hear a flurry of keyboard action and he then says, OK, I have a picture can you login to the address 192.168.1.1, i again explain I'm already logged in, and in actual fact thats wrong because I've changed the default address to 0.254.

He still insists I try to login to 192.168.1.1..... dick.

Usual, can you go to here, click this......blah blah....

He tells me again, he can't see the router....

Frustration starts to set in, as I'm not very patient sometimes.......

I explain again, he ignores me and continues to follow the script.

Asks me if I'm on a mobile phone...wtf? and then if I'm using a desktop, laptop or on wireless...

I then try to explain again......

He simply says, well I can't connect to the router, so I'll send you another.

I explain at this point, why he can't connect, why it's secured and in such a simplistic manner that even a 5 year old can understand that there is a problem with their DHCP lease, routing, possible mac address table issue/reservation etc etc....

He then says, "I understand what you mean", but where do i send the router to.

ARGGGGHHHH. At this point I lost it, ranted a little bit about escalation to their networks team and someone that knows what they are doing, he went silent and simply couldn't understand the concept of escalation to the next tier.........

I end's up telling him just to forget it, he quite clearly doesn't understand the issue and passes him back to my mate, they are now sending out a new (pointless) router.................

I ended up telling my mate just move to another ISP, as apparently another mate of his and his father have had the same issues and left.

It's just god damn ridiculous. God help people that don't have any technical knowledge, it's like the blind leading the blind.

Last edited:
8 out of 10
pretty good quality rant but would have got 10/10 if you had applied the right accent from the guy:goodpost::classic:

There tech support are useless. You will be better off posting on the talktalkmembersforum. Do a search for it on google. It may take a day or two but they are a little bit more intelligent on there.

I had a similar problem when I first joined, I'm pretty sure that TalkTalk changed the profile to fix it for me.

I was thinking of moving to Talk Talk, don't think I'll bother now. :)

TalkTalk customer service isn't only useless, the actual service is too.

When the broadband worked, we had 1.8mb where they promised us 7 for our area... They told us we were too far away from the exchange to get that and that no other standard provider could better it. We switched to Sky and get on average 6.8mb.

The TV service is awful too, breaks up more than the freeview we had in our caravan during a thunderstorm. We had to reset the box and the router to get the picture back. this naturally took 10 minutes, which if you are watching something, is like a year.

The phone service was't too bad, just not the best value out there...

... We are waiting for Virgin to install services in our village next year...

TalkTalk customer service isn't only useless, the actual service is too.

When the broadband worked, we had 1.8mb where they promised us 7 for our area... They told us we were too far away from the exchange to get that and that no other standard provider could better it. We switched to Sky and get on average 6.8mb.

The TV service is awful too, breaks up more than the freeview we had in our caravan during a thunderstorm. We had to reset the box and the router to get the picture back. this naturally took 10 minutes, which if you are watching something, is like a year.

The phone service was't too bad, just not the best value out there...

... We are waiting for Virgin to install services in our village next year...

totally agree with you Ive left this week due to a price rise which has nullifed my contract. im moving to BT infinity. Talktalk are utter garbage their youview is utter shite and the service I was getting with sky was 10mb im down to 4meg now with talktalk and all they seem to think is that its my fault oh well rolle on september 9th get in here bt with my fibre optic a big fook u talktalk shithouse

I moved to them when they brought out Tiscali so I've been with them a good few years now

I have not really had any downtime or any reason up to now to call them :) maybe I'm a lucky one? But service has been problem free :)

There tech support are useless. You will be better off posting on the talktalkmembersforum. Do a search for it on google. It may take a day or two but they are a little bit more intelligent on there.

I had a similar problem when I first joined, I'm pretty sure that TalkTalk changed the profile to fix it for me.

Thanks, posted over at their forums. Scaled back the rant a little too ;)

talktalk is cheap and cheerfull i had probs chganged to net gear router no probs since but never phone em they will drive you insane

Had no problems with them whatsoever...

Lucky too?

Update to this.

Replacement router turned up and as I thought made no difference to my mates connection.

I had a post up on the talk talk forums, one "Enterprise Forum Administrator" asked me to update the profile with the line details so they could check....

Two days later I gets a notification to say there was an update, clicks it and the cheeky b**s**ds have deleted my thread!!!!

Meanwhile my mate is STILL is having dropout issues.

Typical. Yet disgraceful behavior from a service provider.

i would tell him to get rid of the w....... i never liked talk talk exos my best move was getting rid of them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

For me, I had continual drop outs and was on their online community to try and sort it out. Would NOT phone their helpline service unless it was necessary! NIGHTMARE!

Anyway, going down the online community route wasn't as bad, but your problem will take an age to fix, as in general, their response time is two days from your initial question.

Anyway, from my experience, my profile eventually dropped from 15db, down then to 12db, then to 9db, which then seemed stable for quite a while.

But this didn't fix the problem. After a while my speed dropped to a download speed of 0.56Mb! I've had some of my phone line replaced, but it seemed it was some cable at the junction pole after my 2nd engineer since I've been with them.

Seems this profile change, for me anyway, is a delay tactic so that they can delay their costly repair work until the very last minute, as they need to contact BT Openreach to do the repairs.

As an aside to the topic a little, for a supposed wealthy country, our infrastructure for a decent service is nothing short of embarrassing.

Worse customer services I've come across since I was with bulldog broadband think I'll change when contracts up

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Worse customer services I've come across since I was with bulldog broadband think I'll change when contracts up

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Cheapeat bb for me and no problems to ring about tbh

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Back