Running both VM superhub and Sky Broadband on same home network

matty125

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction with this home networking problem...

As my sky adsl speeds are very low (due to distance from the exchange) I have recently purchased VM broadband and been given a superhub. In terms of financial costs the sky phone /broadband service is heavily discounted as its not really needed other than mandatory for sky multi room telephone connection.

Upto now I have been using the sky broadband on my home network connecting a couple of pcs, latops, anytime, game consoles, phones etc by both wired and wireless.

I'm currently using a tp link adsl router to connect to sky broadband and using it as the 'access point?' to the network. All devices are in the same subnet? 192.168.0.* and all assigned with static ip addresses within the range. DHCP is not on. The LAN ip address of the tp link is 192.168.0.10 and for the VM SH is 192.168.0.1

My first problem is that the wireless performance from the Vm SH is poor so I have turned off wireless and just want to use it for the lan ports for wired connection of the xbox/ps3 etc and for some devices to use it for the gateway for downloading ie. anytime, pc for downloading, my laptop etc

I would like to continue for the devices to continue to use the sky broadband for websufing, video calling etc, but with both routers are connected I can still connect to the TP link (Sky BB) for access to the router but then get 'limited access' and cannot access the internet via the VM superhub or RDP to any other devices on the network.

As a temporary solution, I have put the VM SH into modem mode and conencted it to a DIR-615 (running DD-wrt) with the same original ip address of the VM SH,and this appears to work - but I would like it to work directly via the VM SH as I'm going to update the the switches to gigabit anf the dir-615 does not support this.

I there anyway of getting both routers connected at the same time without additional cost?

Many Thanks,

that's fine, you can do it, I had that same set up back in the day.

All i done was made the range of one of the routers (192.168.1.1) range- 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.100 and the other (192.168.1.101) - range 192.168.1.102 - 192.168.1.200

So each router had it's own gateway to the www. (which is what you have)

So if i wanted the 360 to go out via one gateway i'd give it a static IP address example. 192.168.1.5 and gateway 192.168.1.1 and then say the ps3 on the other I'd give it a static ip address of 192.168.1.105 and gateway 192.168.1.101

Hope that helps.

simplified it now though with just one connection.

Dibbs.

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks dibbs, sounds perfect - exactly what I need I give it a try when I get home tonight, daft question how do I limit the ip range for each router? Many thanks

Re: thanks

no problem, it works quite well, (that's exactly what I wanted to do) I had two "Gateways" and I wanted the PC and the LAPTOP to be able to use one gateway whilst I wanted to be able to play xbox on the other (without lag) I was only on the 2 meg at the time.

So I had for example the PC and the LAPTOP going out via one connection and the XBOX going out on the other, Lag free for gaming.

just in the config page of each router mate so after you log in to the 1st one then configure it (Remember after changing the IP address and a reset you'll then have to use the new IP address to logback in)

Cheers.

Last edited:

no problem, it works quite well, (that's exactly what I wanted to do) I had to "Gateways" and I wanted the PC and the LAPTOP to be able to use one gateway whilst I wanted to be able to play xbox (without lag) as I was only on the 2 meg at the time.

So had for example the PC and the LAPTOP going out via one connection and the XBOX going out on the other, Lag free for gaming.

just in the config page of each router mate so after you log in to the 1st one then configure it (Remember after changing the IP address and a reset you'll then have to use the new IP address to logback in)

Cheers.

Dibbs, Many thanks this has worked perfectly - I cant believe I spent a couple of week trying to resolve it on my own, still I've learnt a lot in the mean time....!!!. :Cheers:

Not a problem, Glad your sorted.

Have fun.

as dibbers said, simple method the other more complex way would be to use vlans and segregate the traffic and route is via one of the tinterner connection.

Back