Recording Playback Issues

skilly786

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,I'm having problems with my recordings of HD channels playback.

Recorded SD channels play fine but with the HD channel recordings it doesn't play properly, it just starts playing really slowly like in slow motion.
My line is fine as when I'm watching it live it works perfectly fine. It's just on recorded HD channels the playback i'm having issues with.

Im running the latest vix 3.2.10 firmware, with the hard drive installed internally.
I've formatted my hard drive many times on the box but still having problems.
Any solutions of what i can do?

Thanks

Does this happen to any recorded HD channel including FTA (free to air) channels?

For clarification, you have an internal hdd (not via USB) and it has been initialised via vix menus (and therefore formatted by Vix)?

What is signal strength of a FTA HD channel?

Hi its not so bad when recording FTA hd channels, it mainly on BT Sports HD channels which I have recorded when Im having issues. Regulary on playback it will slowdown, If I rewind it a little and play the same position again it will play normally again for a bit then slow down again. So I know my line is fine during the recording process just the playback im having problems with. Yes the hard drive is interally installed and initiallised via vix and is formatted ext4

Does it happen all the time on BT Sports HD or intermittent issue?

I will try to re-create it on my solo2 which is using Vix 3.2.

Also, do you have original solo2 or a clone and if it's a clone, which type (normally sunray, lonrison or dragonworth)?

Last edited:
Does it happen all the time on BT Sports HD or intermittent issue?

I will try to re-create it on my solo2 which is using Vix 3.2.

On all my recordings for bt sports hd channels it has been an issue. Sometimes it will play fine for a while then it will start having the playback issue.Fast forwarding usually always causes it to slow down on playback. I have a clone vu solo 2 se and im running your sunray sky setup backup vix 3.2.10. I had this same problem on my zgemma star 2s which is why I changed this box.

Just recording something on BT Sports HD. It finishes in 15mins then i'll try and see if I can re-create it.

Is it fine if you just playback recorded HD programme without using backwards/fastwarding function?

Just recording something on BT Sports HD. It finishes in 15mins then i'll try and see if I can re-create it.

Is it fine if you just playback recorded HD programme without using backwards/fastwarding function?

It will usually play ok for around 10 mins and then start have the stuttering slow motion playback issues even without fast forwading/backwards. Ive noticed that fast forwarding/backwards on bbc one hd recording is very smooth when doing on bt sports hd recording even when just forwarding/ rewinding it is not very smooth

5 mins into recorded programme and so far not noticed anything but i've not been playing around with rewinding/fastforarded.

Do you know if your hdd is modern or an old one? Reason i'm asking is maybe hdd isn't upto recording and at same time timeshift recording (if you have timeshift enabled like I do).

Out of curiosity, what softcam do you use and if it's mgcamd 1.38, do you use my mg_cfg file?

Over 15mins and I never noticed anything during playback on BT Sports HD.

I never tried rewinding/fastforwarding.

Over 15mins and I never noticed anything during playback on BT Sports HD.

I never tried rewinding/fastforwarding.
The hard drive im using is a Hitachi 500GB hard drive manufactured FEB 2010 I took it from an old laptop of mine. Ive had timeshift disabled when recording and was using CCcam 2.30. It looks like the hard drive might be at fault. Do you know why it could be that FTA hd channels play back fine just the subcription hd channels do not?. Is there any software I could try formating on PC with to see if it could solve the problem?. Thanks

I forgot it was fine on FTA channels so I would say it isn't your hdd causing it (well at least on it's own).

When you flashed my image did you restore any settings/plugins?

What other plugins do you have installed that you added yourself?

I forgot it was fine on FTA channels so I would say it isn't your hdd causing it (well at least on it's own).

When you flashed my image did you restore any settings/plugins?

What other plugins do you have installed that you added yourself?

I did a fresh usb flash install if your image and did not restore any settings. The only plugin I have installed extra is cache flush.

You don't need cache flush on modern boxes with plenty of flash and or memory such as solo2 se has.

Could you remove that and restart your box.

I'm assuming signal quality is adequate on BT sports HD?

Have you tried, by any chance, recording BT sports HD whilst watching it at same time for say 15mins (or more) and then playing it back to see if you notice any problems?

You don't need cache flush on modern boxes with plenty of flash and or memory such as solo2 se has.

Could you remove that and restart your box.

I'm assuming signal quality is adequate on BT sports HD?

Have you tried, by any chance, recording BT sports HD whilst watching it at same time for say 15mins (or more) and then playing it back to see if you notice any problems?

Removed cache flush, and also reformatted the drive does seem a little better but still has the odd stuttering. Does seem better but its usually when recording longer programs. I usually record UFC which is usually around 3 hours long and around 30 GB its usually on the bigger files it struggles with playback. Thanks for your help Ketmp i'll just test it for a while but looks like the hard drive is the problem.

@skilly786, I personally wouldn't rush out to buy hdd just yet as can't state for fact this is the problem because if you can't re-create problem on a FTA channel and this problem is mostly on BT Sports HD then it's likely to be something else.

Did you change any audio settings from default image by any chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
@skilly786, I personally wouldn't rush out to buy hdd just yet as can't state for fact this is the problem because if you can't re-create problem on a FTA channel and this problem is mostly on BT Sports HD then it's likely to be something else.

Did you change any audio settings from default image by any chance?

No mate not changed any audio settings, Not sure if file sizes make a difference but a 1 hour BBC one hd recording was only 2gb and a 1 hour BT Sports HD was 6GB in size.

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the signal like on affected channels ? Is the dish slightly out of line ?

Have you much on the hard drive that you could loose ? I would format it (initialise)

sorry if this has already been asked

Filesize difference could be something like different audio quality on BT sports HD.

Maybe change audio on BT sports hd and see if that makes a difference.

You would really need to actually watch bt sports hd whilst recording it to see if there are any glitches and then see if playback has more glitches.

How are you at using telnet? Could you telnet into box and type "top". This will display list of running processes and other info. Look at percentage (top left) and see what that is. I'm watching match on BT sports hd now and percentage alternates (very quickly) between 0% and 25/35%. Main running process is "top" and mgcamd 138.

It did seem like it was a hard drive problem.
I went ahead and attached it to my PC and did a low level format using HDD guru. It did take a couple of hours to do the format but once attached to my box I then initialised it again. I've also attached a separate USB for epg in the back, not sure if this made much difference but did it anyway.
Now I've tested recording both box nation HD and bt sports HD and the recordings are playing fine no stuttering issues as far ive tested. Hopefully the problem is cured. Thanks for the help guys.

Back