protected ncb reduced on motor policy

pestman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi i thought that i would make people aware that at least with one insurance company ,a protected ncb policy could be reduced to 4 years regardless of how many years you have/had.
I took out a policy 2 years ago,fully comp and 7 years ncb transfered from my previous company.In April 2012 i had an accident ( i was driving in slow moving traffic and an uninsured mobility scooter
drove off the pavement into my car).The driver/rider contacted my insurance company and said he was to blame,also three witnesses gave there details and said he was to blame.No damage was caused to his vehicle and no injuries.I claimed on my insurance to have the scratches and light dents repaired with no problems i was assured that my ncb would not be affected. When i recieved my renewal in August it was a bit high so i transfered to another company and explained that i had protected 9 years ncb and gave them all details of what had happened about the claim.It turns out that the ins. company i was with gives
the max discount bonus after 4 years and they claimed that the term protected ncb means that i will keep 4 years ncb which is there equivalent of max discount.I argued that i should keep the number of years ncb and thought that this is what i had protected.My new insurance company ( whom i had told i had 9 years ncb) contacted my old company with my permission but were told only the max 4 years could be transfered and my new company advised me me to make a complaint about my old company.I have, after phoning and writing to this company several times and after many months got the problem sorted (the fact that they wish me to appear in court to pursue there claim may be relevent) and they have given in and transfered 9 years ncb to my existing company who have now reduced my premium.I realize that i could have involved the ombudsman but thought that my old ins company would be more reasonable earlier during the dispute.Also the accident is recorded as a fault claim because the company has not yet reclaimed all there costs in relation to the accident and this term does not refer to the person who actually was at fault.Please be aware that if anyone is thinking of using this company your ncb years may be capped to 4 years which is there max.I am not sure if they do this as a matter of policy.I am not sure if i can name the company but i thought that they would be a good company as they deal with holidays/ins for elderly people.

Does the company name begin with an S and sound like they make old game consoles?

Yes thats the one.Just watch what is actually protected,Max bonus (4 years) or actual time in years.

Back