ODBII Code Reader

Can you log the live data for a period of time @himher.
From what I remember you have a T5, so if you are looking for performance issues, you would look at logging the following.

Boost pressure
Fuel rail pressure
RPM
Speed
MAP and MAF data
O2 information etc.

(TT)

The T5 has a P2188 - System too rich at idle bank 1 error with an emissions warning light. I can't find a piccy but it's the yellow one looks like an engine. The car runs fine when warm but when warming up is VERY unresponsive. Even when warm it can stall if you slow down suddenly. In between, it goes like the proverbial. I've given the MAF a good clean and changed the fuel filter.

If that changes the information you need then let me know otherwise I'll collect the data - at idle or a range?

Oh I can't interpret it too well, as I don't know what is normal, you will look for anomalies like drop in boost fuel pressure etc when accelerating.

However my main suspect for that error would be the O2 sensor. As the yellow engine picture is emissions.

EDIT - Just found this - Curing a P2188 Engine Fault Code on my Volvo S60 2.0T - Updated 24/11/2012

(TT)

Okay, so if I get steady changes from the MAF it's probably a lambda sensor then. Oh bugger, I can read an ethernet packet blindfold and do subnet calculations in my head but THIS - just looks like another language lol

Thanks for all the replies peeps - will let you know when I figure it all out :)

@MH - been following that one M8. I might just throw me hands up and change the bloody MAF anyway lol

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make sense, you are looking for linearity to boost fuel pressure etc.
However the problem arises us the ECU fuel map may demand x to give y at a certain point.

You should be able to get a MAF from a breakers for peanuts to try.

(TT)

That would make sense, you are looking for linearity to boost fuel pressure etc.
However the problem arises us the ECU fuel map may demand x to give y at a certain point.

You should be able to get a MAF from a breakers for peanuts to try.

(TT)

I can get a breaker MAF for about £40 - I've had the MAF out and done the cleaning bit but no change. You know me M8, I don't just want to fix it, I want to know why it broke, how to check whether it's working or not, what values are normal, blah blah, everything, the whole works.

Oh, that's buggered my cryptic posts ;)

Right, I'm a guru, mechanical genius (must be, got a code reader ffs!) The code reader is the panacea for all ills as far as cars are concerned and now I have one :)

Anyway, out this afternoon and following Google - well how the hell else will I find out where all the bits are? Hmm, get some live data someone said but no snapshot on cheapo code readers and the cable is rather short so Mrs M drives back from Selby with yours truly laid across her lap reading the data and writing it down. I think the nice Policeman believed me? Anyway, that live data was next to useless as by the time I'd got the full set everything had changed anyway.

No matter, I have the technology, I can fix this lol

Out with the spanners, serious expression fixed in place and any questions from passing neighbours are met with 'Yep, just checking the MAF is working properly'. They don't know I haven't found it yet lol

Well Google said check the cheapest bits first so checked the plugs were tight and cleaned the coilpack connectors. I had to remove the turbo charge line to do this - hello, why can I get my finger through the hose? Surely you can not be serious???

Working on the principle that member signatures never lie (Dutcho I think), it had no wires, it was rubber so a hammer was out, that only left duct tape (Volvo don't have this part in stock at the mo). Taped it up, test drive - seems good. I'll leave it a week and see if the code comes back - if not I'll order the 75mm hose that's worth £2.50 but Volvo want £25 for and off we go :)

Car gurus can shoot me now lol

Is that what they call you nowadays,must mean something else down your neck of the woods ;)

Hehe - just amused, all this whizzy technology and what do we find? A big feck-off hole where it shouldn't be lol

Hehe - just amused, all this whizzy technology and what do we find? A big feck-off hole where it shouldn't be lol

Well you see the really handy amongst us would have checked for holes,loose pipes,corrosion etc BEFORE we bought the code reader :)

Well you see the really handy amongst us would have checked for holes,loose pipes,corrosion etc BEFORE we bought the code reader :)

Then you would have fixed the problem before me then figured out the ECU dropped to default values until the code was cleared? So it would have cost more than the code reader to take the motor to someone who would have cleared the code so the ECU dropped back to 'normal' mode. You would have missed out on all the exciting stuff like watching the MAF whizz up and down and trying to figure out what the fook was going on lol

Yeah, right :tongue:

Then you would have fixed the problem before me then figured out the ECU dropped to default values until the code was cleared? So it would have cost more than the code reader to take the motor to someone who would have cleared the code so the ECU dropped back to 'normal' mode. You would have missed out on all the exciting stuff like watching the MAF whizz up and down and trying to figure out what the fook was going on lol

Yeah, right :tongue:

You really do try your best to make the simple complicated don't you :tongue:

You really do try your best to make the simple complicated don't you :tongue:

Actually, no. Opening the bonnet was well scary, like what the fook is THAT??? Okay, you're young and used to all this stuff. I'm used to distributors and points and HT leads ffs lol

I'll not be beaten by all this new-fangled stuff. When I've figured it out I'll do a post - 'How to fix your motor no matter how scary opening the bonnet is' ;)

Actually, no. Opening the bonnet was well scary, like what the fook is THAT??? Okay, you're young and used to all this stuff. I'm used to distributors and points and HT leads ffs lol

I'll not be beaten by all this new-fangled stuff. When I've figured it out I'll do a post - 'How to fix your motor no matter how scary opening the bonnet is' ;)

I'm not as young as you may think, still remember setting the points and cleaning the distributor cap, and buying long HT leads and cutting them to size lol

Back