ODBII Code Reader

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have to bite the bullet - you can't do a thing to a modern car without a code reader. Ideally, I would want to read the codes, reset most warning lights and read live data. If it could download data to a PC that would be good although not essential.

I'm looking at this one on fleabay:

VOLVO C70 V70 S70 V40 S90 Diagnostic Fault Reader Tool | eBay

If anyone has a better suggestion I would be grateful for the information.

Obviously, I'll be checking with the seller that it is compatable with my cars.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

This will require a laptop to connect, if this is not for you plenty of options on this site, Use the search. One of the biggest trading sites in china, sells more than eBay and amazon put together, will have to wait 2 to 4 weeks for your item though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

This will require a laptop to connect, if this is not for you plenty of options on this site, Use the search. One of the biggest trading sites in china, sells more than eBay and amazon put together, will have to wait 2 to 4 weeks for your item though.

Incredible site @jhdetailing, I had never heard of it before, looks like I may be waiting the 2 to 4 weeks for delivery because there appears to be some great bargains on there.
Rep added.

Sells everything that eBay sells and cheaper + if you like your fake watches, cloths (ralf, Lacoste, boss, omega, brietling, Rolex) perfect place for you.

Incredible site @jhdetailing, I had never heard of it before, looks like I may be waiting the 2 to 4 weeks for delivery because there appears to be some great bargains on there.
Rep added.

You obviously dont visit the satellite section very often lol

I've a load of pc based software, no sure what works or what doesnt now though but if you want it shoved on a disc just touch my left nut ;-)

I've gone for the fleabay option M8 for my sins - I'll post whether it's any use but it's compatable and the guy is in the UK with good feedback so fingers crossed :)

Not got satellite, so no real need. Although I do try and browse through most sections now and again in case there is something I do know about or want to find out about.

Well anytime anybody mentions PRC or just China, thats usually where they mean, as regards buying stuff from that is ;)

Thanks for that @wiz569, always nice to have extra options and know when people are giving a heads up.
And just to confirm, I take it PRC is People's Republic of China hence purchased on that site ?

I know very little about the car code readers (Will have to start reading up on them as I am sure they can be useful) However i did see this posted on another site and wondered if it would be of any significance to anyone on here ?

Launch X431 Diagun III Global version newest scan tool 100% Genuine

X-431 Diagun III is a newly developed diagnostic computer with full color display screen. By communicating with the powerful DBScar diagnostic connector via Bluetooth or cable, X-431 Diagun III can test almost all the domestic cars and the imported ones from Asia, Europe and America. Meanwhile it features high quality test, upgrading fast any where at any time and synchronized with the newest international models. It’s more credible in quality and performance when compared with other products.
x431 diagun iii can be connected to external printer through USB port to print the diagnostic result in real time and support the large capacity TF card to store the diagnostic result. It has a smart, portable design and is easy to operate, and multiple languages are provided to cater for different areas in the world. on the X-431 Diagun III stands for Car Cloud logo. Car Cloud is a state-of-an-art individual application product, which is newly developed based on our LAUNCH’s vehicle diagnostic devices and technology service platform with independent intellectual property rights, mainly providing professional, intelligent vehicle monitoring and diagnosing service for car owners.

Car Cloud website is an portal site and service platform for world-wide automobile aftermarket, which, as one of core Telematics applications, aims to provide data processing and application service for car users and all Telematics service providers of automotive aftermarket by collecting front-end DBS diagnostic data, and combining mobile internet and background cloud processing technology.

source:x431 diagun iii | car diagnostic codescar diagnostic codes

The code reader arrived today so straight out an plugged it in. It's not an amazing all-singing thingy but hey, what do you expect for £45 and it reads codes, resets them and displays live data.

All VERY exciting, well, in a nerdy sort of way. I can see ignition advance, fuel trim, mass air flow and all sorts but wtf does it all mean?

So, if anyone can point me to 'understanding live data for dummies' I'd be grateful :)

The live detail will only be meaningful if you know what the values should be.

Obviously boost will be pressure in some form of SI unit.

(TT)

Thanks for the replies @shaun127 - I believe most code readers can't reset ABS/Airbag alarms? You're right @MH - I'm looking for a muppets guide to what all this stuff means lol.

I can post live data if only I know what live data to post? Should I collect stuff while driving or will idle data do the job?

Can you log the live data for a period of time @himher.
From what I remember you have a T5, so if you are looking for performance issues, you would look at logging the following.

Boost pressure
Fuel rail pressure
RPM
Speed
MAP and MAF data
O2 information etc.

(TT)

Back