new hard drive SATA 2 problem

GTO

Inactive User
Reaction score
i have a spare pc which is rarely used apart from burning xbox games, the hard drive currently is 300gb sata, which has just started clicking so thought i would buy a new one.(i did have a 500GB in there that was fine fo a while)

the new drive is the Samsung Eco Green 1.5TB Sata 2, this was going to replace the other drive.

i fitted the drive, put in the win 7 boot disc, and all that happens is it detects the samsung hd154ui drive in the boot process and stops dead. it does say hit ctrl+s or f4 for raid config, but nothing happens no matter when you press ctrl+s.

i assume this is a sata problem and the old motherboard (epox 8RDA3+) and new hdd are not getting on, will a pci sata 2 card be the answer.

thanks for any help

Try restricting the new drive to 1.5Gbit/s mode.

Also see if there is a BIOS update for the motherboard.

the motherboard last bios update was 2004 so nothing available there.

where would i limit the hdd to 1.5 i can get into the bios but not the raid setup that is where it stops. thanks

the booklet with the hdd says that is select cable jumpers, tried it anyway and has made no difference.

it still gets to the same point ctrl+s or F4 for raid setup, tried both even tried an old ps2 keyboard aswell to try to get into it.

Master, slave and cable select is only relevent for IDE/PATA drives. The HD154UI is a SATA device.

If you have access to another computer with a spare SATA port test if you can see and format the drive in windows' disk management tool:
XP: Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc
Vista/7: Start > diskmgmt.msc

If that fails to find it download and burn to CD the test software from the Samsung website: ES-Tool | Downloads | SAMSUNG Hard Disk Drive Run the drive diagnostics - it is unusual, but DOA drives are not unheard of.

thats the booklet they included with the drive.
this is the only fullsize pc i have with sata,i have an acer desktop but its a small formfactor and probably only has one sata connector.
and almost everyone i know has laptops, or older download machines.

looks like a new motherboard and processor upgrade for it. thanks anyway

Back