hard drive to new PC question

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My PC's knackered, I only use it for general day to day so a m8's give me an Optiplex 745 with 8gb ram which is fine for me. Whats the best way to swap the hard drive from the old PC to new PC ?. I cant think of the last time I ever did it but I remember trying it some years ago and remember lots of beeping and BSOD. In an ideal world I would like to swap it over and carry on as normal, anything for an easy life

And check in Device Manager to see if all your drivers are ok

It's hardware that you could have an issue with. Is it similar spec (CPU) etc?

If it's completely different spec especially if gone from AMD to Intel (vice-versa).

You would benefit from fresh build and as it's a PC put old drive. Install software again and just copy other things like docs or anything else

Thanks , I'm not sure about the cpu's. My gut feeling tells me I'll wil have problems. Would something like Acronis say back up files then copy over to fresh Windows on the new computer ?

Thanks , I'm not sure about the cpu's. My gut feeling tells me I'll wil have problems. Would something like Acronis say back up files then copy over to fresh Windows on the new computer ?

You can use Acronis to transfer the whole OS to a new system, but you have to set it up properly to do this.

I am hoping to get this working myself (have been for ages), as I want to change a server's configuration to RAID without reinstalling.

Any major driver issue, disk controller etc. will prevent the machine booting.

Back